Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Canada2 Need to snag a new desktop. Input appreciated!

Hey guys,

So my laptop crapped itself yesterday and since it is 5 years old I'm thinking of grabbing a new computer. Right now I'm looking at mid-size tower or smaller desktops under $1500.

I play WoWS, WoT, Age of Empires, Civ 5, and Planetside 2 (previously with AOD until the thing couldn't run it anymore). So all of this is meant to allow those games to run on high settings from 50-60+ fps.

Currently my list of the important parts looks like....

Processor : Intel i7 - 6700 @ 3.4 ghz 8mb (or something similar)
    GPU : GeForce GTX 1060 (because apparently the 970 costs more ???)
    SSD : Samsung 850 EVO 250gb (after a great experience on my laptop)

Here is a sample for $1198 from AVADirect...

-Carbide Series 100R w/ Window, No PSU, ATX, Black, Mid Tower Case

-Z170-E, Intel Z170 Chipset, LGA 1151, DDR4 64GB, HDMI, M.2, USB 3.1, ATX Retail Motherboard

-Core i7-6700 Quad-Core 3.4 - 4.0GHz TB, HD Graphics 530, LGA 1151, 8MB L3 Cache, DDR3L / DDR4, 14nm, 65W, Retail Processor

-GeForce GTX 1060 TURBO-GTX1060-6G, 1506 - 1708MHz, 6GB GDDR5 192-Bit, PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

-16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz, PC4-17000, CL14 (14-14-14) 1.2V, Non-ECC, Black, Single-rank DIMM Memory

-BQ Series 650 BQ 650W, 80 PLUS Bronze, Semi Modular, ATX Power Supply

-Water 3.0 Performer C + LNC 120mm, Socket 2011-3/1151/AM3+/FM2+, Retail Liquid Cooling System

-AS5-3.5G, 3.5g, High-Density Polysynthetic Silver, Thermal Compound

-TriCool Series 761345-75024-0 120mm w/ Blue LEDs, 2000 RPM, 79 CFM, 30 dBA Cooling Fan

-120GB 850 EVO 7mm, 540 / 520 MB/s, 3D V-NAND, SATA 6Gb/s, 2.5-Inch Retail SSD ********* I have my 250 gig version still in my laptop and I don't need lots of storage in the first place **********

-Standard Wiring with Precision Cable Routing and Tie-Down

-Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, Life-Time Labor Warranty)

I have zero idea about hardware and need a bit of help making sure that I am not buying too much for a crap price. If you have any suggestions about other parts or items that might be better I'm all ears.

I appreciate the help!

Cheers,

cptAtman

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Also...

Also, is anyone interested in World of Warships. Maybe starting a trial division for that if we can get enough people?

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would definitely suggest upgrading the GPU. If you need to save money elsewhere, you could drop to an i5 and still have no issues gaming.

The video card is the single most important part of a gaming computer. Spend as much as you can afford to on it. A GTX1070 would run you another $200 but be a significant upgrade.

Sent from my Intel i486

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

if you're getting a new GTX, either get a 1070, 980 Ti, or 1080 (and if you don't have enough money for it, save for it or credit card.. is all I can say) since the 1060 would = crap; you might as well put in the RX 490 (or whatever) if your not gunna get those 3 GTX's; if not a 980 or 970 at least.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Boba View Post
    I would definitely suggest upgrading the GPU. If you need to save money elsewhere, you could drop to an i5 and still have no issues gaming.

The video card is the single most important part of a gaming computer. Spend as much as you can afford to on it. A GTX1070 would run you another $200 but be a significant upgrade.

Sent from my Intel i486
    Exactly, i7 6700k in this case is a waste of money. i5 6600k is more than enough to handle all games and GPU's like GTX 1070 or GTX 1080.
    I have i5 6600k and GTX 1070 and it runs super perfect. You can check out my YouTube channel with benchmarks I've done. Btw, I play World of Warships and I also did benchmarks on that game with my system.

I would suggest to go with 240mm or 280mm water cooler. 120mm is good but limits you to squeeze out full potential out of the system. I myself have 120mm now but will be upgrading to 240mm because my CPU is overclocked to 4.2Ghz now but want to push to 4.6Ghz and with better cooling I could do that easy.

Get 250 GB Samsung EVO 850... The price difference is small.

Get Corsair or EVGA power supplies. They have 5 to 10 years of warranty.

"-Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, Life-Time Labor Warranty)" <--- I think it is a waste of money. All parts come with manufacture warranty.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Tetsuo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What I give tips to people is the CPU is secondary comapred to the graphics card which is primary when comes to gaming.

Its better to get a higher end GPU then a high end CPU.

I recommend a 1070, 1080 I am personally going to be getting the new titan when releases in august, and I am still using a i5 4670k and works just fine for games.

I would recommend doing this dropping that i7 to a i5 6600k and getting a 1070 nothing lower.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Cele's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As Tetsuo said above, I recommend spending more on the gfx card and less on the processor. An i5 would do you very well and the upgrade from the 1060-->1070 or 1080 is a big one. Check out the differences of in game graphics for the 1000's on YouTube too

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Interesting Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely keep the suggestions in mind. I'm not sure whether or not downgrading the processor is a smart decision (as I do a lot of processor intensive tasks day to day). However, if the i5 really is sufficient then sure!

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

CptAtman

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by cpt.atman View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely keep the suggestions in mind. I'm not sure whether or not downgrading the processor is a smart decision (as I do a lot of processor intensive tasks day to day). However, if the i5 really is sufficient then sure!

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

CptAtman
    I'd take a look at benchmarks for the tasks that you do on a regular basis to see how they would be affected by different processors.

Sent from my Intel i486

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

CptAtman
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($305.95 @ shopRBC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.75 @ Vuugo)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($94.00 @ Vuugo)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($118.25 @ Vuugo)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.95 @ Vuugo)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.95 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($599.99 @ Memory Express)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.00 @ Vuugo)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $1627.81
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-28 10:12 EDT-0400

There's a Canadian (I assume CAD because of the canadian flag in the OP's title) of a build you would need to build yourself that would be plenty for gaming and CPU intensive apps. You can also Overclock the CPU for more power as it gets older.

Let the rivers flow red with the blood of our enemies PS_Anubis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I5-4690k, stock 3.5, of to 4.5 and I have no issues. I've thought about higher CPU but as many agree with my thinking, total waste. Be Minecraft or heavy modded Skyrim to ark, I get average 60-120fps (Minecraft more like 1500fps still.. lol). My bottleneck is my r9 270. So if your wanting 60+ fps ya lower standard on CPU and put the Savings into a GPU fund. Only game I have to lower settings is ark, but u need new Titan x or 1080 to keep 60fps max settings 100% of time lol.

I myself looking at r480 or 1060 as large jump for me from the 270, and pointless past 60 fps solid max, and I'm not gonna do VR stuff

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

CptAtman
    I do CPU intensive tasks on daily basis since I use my PC for my work in the first place. My i5 6600k handles 6 VMs easily on daily basis. Recording and rendering a video is a piece of cake since i5 6600k performs as good as i7 4790k.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Air cooling
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MB3Nqk

Sent from my nuclear fusion reactor

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

How about this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/tyCZf8

Not only it will be a beast with 240mm water cooler that will allow you to Overclock that i5 6600k to 4.6Ghz
    BUT IT WILL LOOK DAMN SEXY WITH COLOURS MATCHED IN THAT NZXT 440 CASE.

If you wanna see how sexy it looks then watch this video I made for my build when I was upgrading to GTX 1070

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Money Almost finalized....

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($305.95 @ shopRBC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.75 @ Vuugo)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($94.00 @ Vuugo)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($118.25 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($599.99 @ Memory Express)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.00 @ Vuugo)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $1627.81
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-28 10:12 EDT-0400

There's a Canadian (I assume CAD because of the canadian flag in the OP's title) of a build you would need to build yourself that would be plenty for gaming and CPU intensive apps. You can also Overclock the CPU for more power as it gets older.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    I do CPU intensive tasks on daily basis since I use my PC for my work in the first place. My i5 6600k handles 6 VMs easily on daily basis. Recording and rendering a video is a piece of cake since i5 6600k performs as good as i7 4790k.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ShadowCube View Post
    Air cooling
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MB3Nqk

Sent from my nuclear fusion reactor
    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cele View Post
    As Tetsuo said above, I recommend spending more on the gfx card and less on the processor. An i5 would do you very well and the upgrade from the 1060-->1070 or 1080 is a big one. Check out the differences of in game graphics for the 1000's on YouTube too
    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tetsuo View Post
    What I give tips to people is the CPU is secondary comapred to the graphics card which is primary when comes to gaming.

Its better to get a higher end GPU then a high end CPU.

I recommend a 1070, 1080 I am personally going to be getting the new titan when releases in august, and I am still using a i5 4670k and works just fine for games.

I would recommend doing this dropping that i7 to a i5 6600k and getting a 1070 nothing lower.

So, thank you again for all the help!

Here's the part list that I have right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mXCZf8
    and an alternative as well...

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/HzqrVY

Not sure if the tesseract case for #2 will take an optical drive.
    I should be good to build the PC (there's enough stuff online and I have friends (or do I? )). The last thing is cooling. I don't know what's necessary with case fans and cpu/gpu cooling and such. I assume that what's been given to me in the parts lists is sufficient, but I'd like to know a bit more.

Otherwise, thanks!

Cheers,

CptAtman

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I like both of those builds. Unless you are planning to overclock the CPU significantly, a water cooler is not needed. I have the Hyper 212 and a mild overclock and my CPU (4590k) never gets over 55c.

Sent from my Intel i486

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not sure if the tesseract case for #2 will take an optical drive.

CptAtman
    You can always buy an external Optical drive. But do you really need an optical drive these days? I don't remember when was the last time I even used a CD.
    They are slim and portable and cheap:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=081599

The price is in CAD ^^^

I took an IQ test and the results were negative JimmieRustles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can always buy an external Optical drive. But do you really need an optical drive these days? I don't remember when was the last time I even used a CD.

The price is in CAD ^^^
    +1 for the external drive recommendation. so much better than an internal optical drive

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Newshit Responses

The price is in CAD ^^^
    I'm 50/50 on it. Most of the time I won't be using it, but just in case? (Also old school games like AOE2 and BFBC2 (not so old school)).

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_JimmieRustles View Post
    +1 for the external drive recommendation. so much better than an internal optical drive
    I'll definitely try that then. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Boba View Post
    I like both of those builds. Unless you are planning to overclock the CPU significantly, a water cooler is not needed. I have the Hyper 212 and a mild overclock and my CPU (4590k) never gets over 55c.
    Ok, I switched out the water cooler for an air cooler.

Here's the finalized list...
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WWzCLD

Cheers,

CptAtman

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm 50/50 on it. Most of the time I won't be using it, but just in case? (Also old school games like AOE2 and BFBC2 (not so old school)).

I'll definitely try that then. Thanks!

Ok, I switched out the water cooler for an air cooler.

Here's the finalized list...
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WWzCLD

Cheers,

CptAtman
    Don't take that case Corsaire 230T. I used to have and didn't like it and switched to NZXT h440. Also, if you take NZXT h440 you don't need to buy any extra fans. It already comes with good built in cooling and cable management in this case is amazing as you can see in the video I posted above. Also, the airflow is very good in this case and everything looks nice and neat and built quality is really good - it even has good sound insulation. I can't hear my PC running while it is under full Load. My fridge is louder at home than my PC.

Why do you need Network adapter??? The motherboard already has a built in 1GBit network card.

Also, why you switched GPU to Gigabyte. It would look nice to have MSI mobo and MSI GPU. They look great together. Well, anyways if you don't care about the looks then it's fine. But personally I really do care how my PC looks due to it has a window.

This is how it used to look with Corsair 230T case:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20150907_120810_HDR.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	25154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20150907_120827_HDR.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	25155

And this is how it looks with NZXT h440 case now:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20160729_093809.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	25156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20160729_093906.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	25157

Also, airflow improved with NZXT h440, I could mount water cooling radiator on the top, while in Corsair 230T I couldn't and cable management is so much better in NZXT H440 and in general it has more space inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast