Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Media Center

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-set-...ith-kodi-xbmc/

Has anyone setup a slim pc style home media center ? I'm thinking of getting rid of the Sony blue ray player and getting a nice sound system that will hook in to the pc.

The the pc could have line ins and such ? It could also be able to host a steam box and such?

Anyone have experience with a pc?p

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_Vial8R's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I have Kodi running on a Raspberry Pi, been using it for a couple years now. Works pretty good. It doesn't have line in or anything really, but it can stream my collection of hundreds of DVD .iso files and other media to our TV without problems. Plus it has the ability to run Hulu and other services.
    Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help or find someone for you.
    Panzerbuchse Leaderboard Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDrV3C

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Vial8R View Post
    I have Kodi running on a Raspberry Pi, been using it for a couple years now. Works pretty good. It doesn't have line in or anything really, but it can stream my collection of hundreds of DVD .iso files and other media to our TV without problems. Plus it has the ability to run Hulu and other services.
    Hmm, i hadn't thought about rasberry pii. The higher version of that has a couple usb's on it though yea? does it have a wifi and such i can't remember.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_Vial8R's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

The version I have is the model B. It includes 2 USB but no WiFi. The newest version is the B+, which has more RAM and a faster processor. The price is still $35 though. They do take most WiFi adapters, as long as they are not a no-name brand. Still powered by a cell phone charger.

Sent from my Moto X to your screen via the magic of the internet.
    Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help or find someone for you.
    Panzerbuchse Leaderboard Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDrV3C

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I currently use a laptop as a media center PC, mainly to run VLC player and miro. I then stream the media from my NAS (very simply to just pool the media on a NAS, then map the network drive to a drive letter on the laptop).

Overall, very simple to set up, and simple to play pretty much any media without worrying about the format or having to convert anything.

For controls I use a simply bluetooth keyboard with touchpad

(it is an Acer 5552G, and can run a few games locally, but works perfectly with the steam in home streaming (for games with launcher menus such as warframe, you must first launch the game before accessing it using the steam in home streaming to avoid stability issues)

For max flexibility, get an AV receiver to connect it to in addition to other media devices.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck MaNii's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use an intel nuc (with infrared) put an SSD and some memory in it! i installed openelec (kodi) on it. All my files/movies/Tv series/music are on my synology NAS.

I can run everything on it, also put on the skins on kodi that i want, raspberry pi is a good alternative but for me to slow.
    IF I want i can run Windows 8 on it or an other OS very smooth.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have a 12 TB system using Kodi/XBMC raspberry pi's and have created my own replacement for NetFlix. Even gave units to my family so they could stream all my NAS content to their homes.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can use the web interface to control the system using a smartphone/laptop/pc or you can get a wireless trackball (like I do @ home) https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CP4EEKkrMAQ

If you edit your firewall and NAT to forward the ports for your system's protocol, its a perfect system.

If you also add VPN support, you can stream live sports. With this setup I canceled my TV service over a year ago and haven't missed it.