Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default new build for brother in law

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T4tk4D

he doesnt have alot of money as he is still in high school. the games he normally plays are league of legends mixed in with a few internet browser games just wondering if this would even be worth building. Or if anyone has the time to put a list together for less then 300 that would be better

thanks in advance

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I personally would not build that PC. AMD CPU's are ok for most things, but are severely out-classed by Intel CPU's even in the low-end market.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DtGd3C

If I was building a budget PC, I'd build this. It has room to upgrade later to an i5-4690K, and can Overclock (Yes the Pentium G3258 can OC, it can go up to around 4.1 GHz comfortably with a CM212 Hyper Evo) The Video Card you chose, while super cheap, would not be great for even LoL. A 750Ti is the cheapest entry level GPU you should be going for. While this is a good bit above 300 USD, I'm in High-School, without a job and for reference, this is every single part that my PC has http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fBKNf7 (I built it over 3.5 years, and i'm now a senior in HS, and no my family does not make six figures.)

I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xyxWVn

(Note: This build does not come with an operating system. You can get Windows 7 on Amazon for $45-50.)

This is the build I would go with. If you aren't planning on overclocking, the stock cooler for the CPU is fine. Also, the Intel HD 530 integrated graphics on the CPU are able to play LOL on Very High settings at greater than 60 fps, so having a video card isn't necessary. You can always add one later.

If you want to be able to get an overclockable CPU at a later date, you may want to spend a little more on a Z170 motherboard, but this isn't necessary unless he wants to play higher-end games.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Check this out

http://www.logicalincrements.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_Warlon's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

I second the cooler advice, don't waste money on an aftermarket cooler if you aren't overclocking

Cadet Warlon | Activision ID: Warlon Xbox Live: WarlonX

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_warlon View Post
    I second the cooler advice, don't waste money on an aftermarket cooler if you aren't overclocking
    I actually don't agree. A CM212 is only $25, that's roughly the same cost as eating out for 2. And, it fits on pretty much any modern CPU, and it's such a cheap upgrade over stock that, it's almost a waste of money to NOT buy one. If I would have bought one when I did my i5-4460 build, I wouldn't have had to spend money on one for my 6600k build.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    I actually don't agree. A CM212 is only $25, that's roughly the same cost as eating out for 2. And, it fits on pretty much any modern CPU, and it's such a cheap upgrade over stock that, it's almost a waste of money to NOT buy one. If I would have bought one when I did my i5-4460 build, I wouldn't have had to spend money on one for my 6600k build.
    This is 100% spot on.

It really doesn't matter if someone is going to overclock or not. Better cooling for any component that produces a large amount of heat will maintain lifespan and, in most cases, improve performance under normal operating conditions.

The threshold for that point to where heat will factor into performance is greatly improved with an aftermarket cooler. Also, any one component giving off excess heat is then going to negatively affect other components by just the increase in case temperature alone.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

thanks guys so much. i didnt trust my gut when building on a budget as i normally end up just going all out on a pc every 4 to 6 years to where a budget doesnt really factor in to it for me