Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_pyle986's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default Stupid Windows 10

So, my computer just decided to go and install Windows 10 on its own...never told it to, ever. Anywho, now that it fully installed Windows 10, I now cannot connect to the Internet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_pyle986 View Post
    So, my computer just decided to go and install Windows 10 on its own...never told it to, ever. Anywho, now that it fully installed Windows 10, I now cannot connect to the Internet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Is your computer a prebuilt or did you build it yourself? If you built it yourself, then look for Drivers for your Motherboard/Wi-Fi Adaptor. If it's a Prebuilt/Laptop... It's either 50/50 of Drivers exist, or your screwed. Windows 10 itself isn't the cancer/plague everyone thinks it is, and it's completely safe. It's also much better in terms of memory and CPU usage than Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1. So you might even see a boost in gaming performance, if only by a slight margin.

Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

My build...and it's not so much a hate for Windows 10. Just that it literally installed on its ow . I stepped away after an Overwatch crash for a minute and it was on the screen saying do not turn off your computer....sigh

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Outerfuel's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah there are a few nasty updates that they pushed out in past that download the whole installation as an update.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My build...and it's not so much a hate for Windows 10. Just that it literally installed on its ow . I stepped away after an Overwatch crash for a minute and it was on the screen saying do not turn off your computer....sigh
    Microsoft literally gag's, bounds, and forces Windows 10 down peoples throats. I get a god-damned notification at every startup, and it stays running in the background. Ive upgraded and reverted twice, both times I HATED it. Its got all kinds of software incompatibilities, bugs, etc. Every 1 in 3 people I talk to have some kind of really odd(Usually they are the only person experiencing it) Software compatibility bug, or issue within the OS. You should be able to revert back to Win8/8.1. Ive forgotten how you do it, but I think they give you like 30 days before it locks you into Windows 10(Which is shitty). Check this link from MS Support page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-or-windows-81

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Microsoft literally gag's, bounds, and forces Windows 10 down peoples throats. I get a god-damned notification at every startup, and it stays running in the background. Ive upgraded and reverted twice, both times I HATED it. Its got all kinds of software incompatibilities, bugs, etc. Every 1 in 3 people I talk to have some kind of really odd(Usually they are the only person experiencing it) Software compatibility bug, or issue within the OS. You should be able to revert back to Win8/8.1. Ive forgotten how you do it, but I think they give you like 30 days before it locks you into Windows 10(Which is shitty). Check this link from MS Support page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-or-windows-81
    There is a couple ways you can block these notifications, but it requires editing your registry. Don't do this if you're not comfortable with editing your registry and realize that I'm not responsible for any mistakes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sk0UwKx.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	23960

This key and dword do exactly what it looks like. Disables any OS upgrades from windows update.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\
    1. Create a Key (folder) called WindowsUpdate.
    2. Create a DWORD Value named DisableOSUpgrade
    3. Assign the newly created DWORD a value of 1

This key and value disable the annoying popup in your system tray that you can upgrade to Windows 10.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\
    1. Create a Key (folder) called Gwx
    2. Create a DWORD Value named Disable
    Last edited by Outerfuel; 05-24-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Outerfuel View Post
    There is a couple ways you can block these notifications, but it requires editing your registry. Don't do this if you're not comfortable with editing your registry and realize that I'm not responsible for any mistakes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sk0UwKx.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	23960

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate
    1. Create a Key (folder) called WindowsUpdate.
    2. Create a DWORD Value named DisableOSUpgrade

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate
    1. Create a Key (folder) called Gwx
    2. Create a DWORD Value named Disable
    I know you can edit the Registry. My reply's contents come more from my extreme dissatisfaction with not only the Quality/UI of Windows 10, but the fact that you even need to go to those lengths(most people wont, and they know that, thats malicious marketing if you ask me) is upsetting to me. I dont know how others feel.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I know you can edit the Registry. My reply's contents come more from my extreme dissatisfaction with not only the Quality/UI of Windows 10, but the fact that you even need to go to those lengths(most people wont, and they know that, thats malicious marketing if you ask me) is upsetting to me. I dont know how others feel.
    Completely understand and relate to your frustration. We got blindsided with the pushes on our domain at work. Didn't know if you knew about it since it's happened to you twice, thought I'd help out if you're trying to avoid it anymore :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Completely understand and relate to your frustration. We got blindsided with the pushes on our domain at work. Didn't know if you knew about it since it's happened to you twice, thought I'd help out if you're trying to avoid it anymore :)
    Yea, I need to be a little more transparent when I make reply's like that. I appreciate the help though. Sorry if I came off the wrong way! O-o

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've never had any issues with Windows 10's UI. It feels like a better looking Windows 7. And, I've only had 1 hardware issue and that's with my Laptop not having proper driver support for Windows 10 on it's Wi-Fi adaptor, so my internet speed ONLY at home is super slow. Ethernet and other Wi-Fi networks run just fine. It's only the Home Wi-Fi that is slow. Probably the weirdest issue i've ever encountered.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    I've never had any issues with Windows 10's UI. It feels like a better looking Windows 7. And, I've only had 1 hardware issue and that's with my Laptop not having proper driver support for Windows 10 on it's Wi-Fi adaptor, so my internet speed ONLY at home is super slow. Ethernet and other Wi-Fi networks run just fine. It's only the Home Wi-Fi that is slow. Probably the weirdest issue i've ever encountered.
    Troubleshooting wifi is the worst. I do know if you have a b/g/n wifi router/AP and you have older devices running on the 2.4GHz it'll slow down any faster wifi devices. That and check to see if any other wifi in your area is on the same channel, I use an android app called Wifi-Analyzer for free.

Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

So, for my issue, I should find a way to download the Windows ten LAN drivers for my mobo?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So, for my issue, I should find a way to download the Windows ten LAN drivers for my mobo?
    Yeah, look up your manufacturer's website and model of motherboard. They should have up-to-date w10 drivers for your board. You'll want Chipset, LAN, and Audio drivers updated.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Glorious Gibs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

God, I feel your pain. As soon as I had heard about the forced updates, I threw together a GPO and killed that crap at its source. Unfortunately, at the time I scrambled to get the policy going, it appeared that the Win10 upgrade media is still there, so we have the equivalent of a 4 GB doorstop just sitting on user machines, which really aggravates me.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HUMAN1ST1C's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

YOU could be next...heh heheh hehehehehehehe

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue AOD Member AOD_iceman29's Avatar
    Rank
    Recruit
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

you cant really run from it it has a count down on it now that it automatically updates it happened to some of my co workers windows 10 isn't all that bad has some very interesting features but its only a mixer of windows 7 and 8.1 together

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

delete it. Pirate win7 if you have to. Vista10 is not for Gaming uses.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Shaitlord View Post
    delete it. Pirate win7 if you have to. Vista10 is not for Gaming uses.
    I saw 5 - 10 FPS increases in games going from 7 to 10. It's lighter on the RAM and CPU than 7 was.

Knee High to a Worms Ass jayhump's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Very small, very effective removal tool.

Knee High to a Worms Ass jayhump's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Should've clarified, removal tool for the updater and the update files, I don't think it's meant for systems where the OS has already installed.