Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Ak_Lance's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Thinking of a build like this, your thoughts? Changes?

Various issues with my computer have drawn me to throwing in the towel and seriously considering a new computer, your thoughts on this build? What would you change and why, very novice at computer building so been doing much research. Would like to pick ya'lls brains. Thank you to those who helped with my motherboard issues, old dog learning new tricks here. (Actually the wife asked, why don't you just get a new computer. Gonna run hard with that green light).

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition)
    CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)
    CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan) **Water cooling is what I want to go with**
    Motherboard: * ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2
    RAM / System Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/2800MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)
    Video Card: GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)
    Power Supply: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready **Still up in the air as to which one to go with**
    Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (240GB CyberpowerPC HyperX SSD + Single Drive) **Considering 2 TB HD**
    Optical Drive: LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive (Black Color)
    Internal Network Card: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    Last edited by Ak_Lance; 07-18-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Looks solid.

On the PSU I'd recommend the Corsair RMi series or the EVGA Supernova G2. I have the Corsair and its rock solid. Both have a 10 year warranty and are gold certified.

Sent from my Intel i486

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Ak_Lance View Post
    Various issues with my computer have drawn me to throwing in the towel and seriously considering a new computer, your thoughts on this build? What would you change and why, very novice at computer building so been doing much research. Would like to pick ya'lls brains. Thank you to those who helped with my motherboard issues, old dog learning new tricks here.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition)
    CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)
    CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan) **Water cooling is what I want to go with**
    Motherboard: * ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2
    RAM / System Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/2800MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)
    Video Card: GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)
    Power Supply: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready **Still up in the air as to which one to go with**
    Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (240GB CyberpowerPC HyperX SSD + Single Drive) **Considering 2 TB HD**
    Optical Drive: LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive (Black Color)
    Internal Network Card: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    Water cooling NZXT X61 Kraken or Corsair Hydro Series - they perform really good and will allow you overclock your CPU more and get more potential out of your system
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro or Samsung 850 EVO - best performing SSDs

Do you really need an Optical Drive these days? I don't remember when was the last time I used Optical Drive. Probably like 6 years ago.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

With the price of HDDs these days I'd get a 2TB at least. However, I see based on the copy & paste that this is a CyberpowerPC build. I would highly recommend against buying a pre-built. You can get more bang for your buck building one yourself, and it isn't terrifyingly complicated. Search up on Youtube for good build guides though, I don't want to force it on anyone. You should be able to judge for yourself if building one is something up your ally.

If you do decide to build one yourself, I would definitely recommend a 240GB or higher M.2 SSD with a compatible motherboard. The disk IO is insane, makes Battlefield 4 load much faster than you'd be used to!

Reddit also has subreddits dedicated to helping people put together a build with the best pricing.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Re: optical drive. Thought about that as well but my wife still has some with pics on them, couldn't think of another way to get them off there.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Zikeji View Post
    With the price of HDDs these days I'd get a 2TB at least. However, I see based on the copy & paste that this is a CyberpowerPC build. I would highly recommend against buying a pre-built. You can get more bang for your buck building one yourself, and it isn't terrifyingly complicated. Search up on Youtube for good build guides though, I don't want to force it on anyone. You should be able to judge for yourself if building one is something up your ally.

If you do decide to build one yourself, I would definitely recommend a 240GB or higher M.2 SSD with a compatible motherboard. The disk IO is insane, makes Battlefield 4 load much faster than you'd be used to!

Reddit also has subreddits dedicated to helping people put together a build with the best pricing.
    For sure, building it is my plan. I was using cybepower generic gaming build as a jumping off point then changed some things out from there based on my research. I plan on buying each component separately and checking compatability. The more I read the more I realize I can do it myself.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Having 2 TB of hard drive is like the sugar coating of pc's. I don't use a lot of the my 2 TB, so I just dedicate a couple Gb's of storage towards file paging for more Memory when the system doesn't have enough. Your CPU could be upgraded to a i7-4790k depending on if you want to overclock your CPU or not.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Have thought about overclocking in the past, read about it a few times but afraid I am going burn something up lol. I am likely making it more complicated than it actually is. Thanks for the input either way.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For sure, building it is my plan. I was using cybepower generic gaming build as a jumping off point then changed some things out from there based on my research. I plan on buying each component separately and checking compatability. The more I read the more I realize I can do it myself.
    PCPartPicker is great for the planning phase. Give it a whirl: https://pcpartpicker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ShadowCube View Post
    Having 2 TB of hard drive is like the sugar coating of pc's. I don't use a lot of the my 2 TB, so I just dedicate a couple Gb's of storage towards file paging for more Memory when the system doesn't have enough. Your CPU could be upgraded to a i7-4790k depending on if you want to overclock your CPU or not.
    Upgrade? The i7-6700K can be overclocked as well, and it supports DDR4. A fresh build may as well be using DDR4.

Have thought about overclocking in the past, read about it a few times but afraid I am going burn something up lol. I am likely making it more complicated than it actually is. Thanks for the input either way.
    There's overlocking and then there's hardcore overlocking. You'll see people who like to push their CPU to the max, and all CPUs have imperfections so two of the same model CPUs may have different "max" OCs. Most motherboard manufacturers have auto-OC utilities. I personally recommend Asus and have used theirs for years. Just let it run, it'll automatically find a stable OC over the course of a couple hours and then set them on boot in the future.

Funny story though, I helped my sister build a PC once (and by helped I built it for her). Day 1 she comes to me and says "THE PC WON'T BOOT I'M GETTING A BSOD EVERY TIME I TRY AND BOOT IT". I troubleshoot a little, ask her what happened before it started doing this. You won't believe it - turns out she set the CPU voltage to 0 on all cores and hit apply. I don't know how, but at that point it was applying them at boot and causing it to die. Seeing as she hadn't customized it yet we just reinstalled the OS, but huge laugh was had.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Re: optical drive. Thought about that as well but my wife still has some with pics on them, couldn't think of another way to get them off there.
    Get an external HDD and store all pics on it instead of having 100 CDs

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ShadowCube View Post
    That's more like a downgrade. i7 6700k is much newer and supports DDR4
    Also, i7-4790k is like an i5-6600k, which is also $100 cheaper :-)

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Geez haters...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Get an external HDD and store all pics on it instead of having 100 CDs
    Honestly I wouldn't recommend an external HDD for much, especially not for backup. Storing all your family memories on 1 medium is a bad idea. In fact, 1 CD is going to be much more reliable and have a much higher life expectancy than 1 HDD. Now, using internal + external storage two have 2 mediums would be a better option.

I store my videos and photos on a RAID 1 array and back them up to Amazon Glacier. Glacier is a bit finicky though and I would not recommend. Remember a RAID 1 array is not for backup, it's for redundancy. So if 1 drive fails you can still access you data in a jiffy. I've seen other people implement a HDD + external HDD solution where they keep their external HDD in a fireproof safe - that's also a valid route, however fireproof or not the heat could damage the HDD in a fire.

Either way, when storing pictures, videos, etc. - anything you don't want to lose, have a couple backup solutions.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Zikeji View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't recommend an external HDD for much, especially not for backup. Storing all your family memories on 1 medium is a bad idea. In fact, 1 CD is going to be much more reliable and have a much higher life expectancy than 1 HDD. Now, using internal + external storage two have 2 mediums would be a better option.

I store my videos and photos on a RAID 1 array and back them up to Amazon Glacier. Glacier is a bit finicky though and I would not recommend. Remember a RAID 1 array is not for backup, it's for redundancy. So if 1 drive fails you can still access you data in a jiffy. I've seen other people implement a HDD + external HDD solution where they keep their external HDD in a fireproof safe - that's also a valid route, however fireproof or not the heat could damage the HDD in a fire.

Either way, when storing pictures, videos, etc. - anything you don't want to lose, have a couple backup solutions.
    A CD is very unreliable storage for long term:
    1. CD can scratch.
    2. The magnetic layer where data is stored at can come off by its age. Happened to me many times when I took an old CD and the whole layer just came off and all I had in my hands was a transparent piece of plastic.
    3. You need them a lot if you have a lot of data.

You can get a an internal drive and get an external enclosure for an internal drive and turn it into an external drive. Something like this: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=073566
    I had a bunch of laptop HDDs lying around and I turned them into external drives and connect to PC through USB cable. No problem at all. Yes, I do backup my data on multiple drives.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Very true, I was going to move everything off those discs at some point in time which is why I was thinking of an optical drive. I may as well do it now on my current computer and just scratch putting a drive on a new computer.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    A CD is very unreliable storage for long term:
    1. CD can scratch.
    2. The magnetic layer where data is stored at can come off by its age. Happened to me many times when I took an old CD and the whole layer just came off and all I had in my hands was a transparent piece of plastic.
    3. You need them a lot if you have a lot of data.

You can get a an internal drive and get an external enclosure for an internal drive and turn it into an external drive. Something like this: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=073566
    I had a bunch of laptop HDDs lying around and I turned them into external drives and connect to PC through USB cable. No problem at all. Yes, I do backup my data on multiple drives.
    CD-R, DVD-R, and BD-R are all more reliable than an HDD if stored properly, that's assuming the DVD is also stored properly. We're talking about data backup, you would hopefully be storing your optical discs in a form factor that won't scratch. That being said, you can drop a CD from any height and if protected properly it likely won't be damaged - not the case for an HDD. HDDs are much more sensitive.

Sources: http://www.cd-info.com/archiving/longevity/index.html
    http://superuser.com/questions/28442...loses-its-data
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29...uestion-inside

To be fair though if you truly want longevity in data backups you can just use the M-Disc format with a 1000 year lifespan.

But I didn't intend to turn this thrad into a debate thread.

That being said, HDDs work really well for temporary and on the move storage. I have two external enclosures myself and an external adapter for 3.5" SATA HDDs. Nothing for SCSI though.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Bubblegun40's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Power supply is too large, i have a 850 watt power supply for 2 980Tis and a 6 core processor