Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New PC Wanted

Hey guys, I wanna get a new PC this year and have a few questions.

1) Which CPU? AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor, Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor or Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor? Other suggestions welcome, but I am looking for the top of the line for which ever CPU line I go for, and I already know the 9590 would run hot, gunna use water/liquid cooling regardless of whichever I use anyway; leaning to the AMD just for the price [aka I want more bang for my buck] and gaming would be the most intensive thing the PC would be used for.

2) Which GPU? Radeon R9 390/X or GeForce GTX 980 Ti? Other suggestions welcome [like a 390X2 16GB or GTX Titan 12GB if cheap), but I am looking for the top of the line for which ever GPU line I go for, and again I am leaning to the AMD just for the price; and that most of the 390/X models I looked at came with 2 DVI ports while I only saw 1 GTX 980 Ti model with 2; so 2 DVI ports would be my only real requirement for the GPU as I don't have any 4k or HDMI ported monitors yet, but I do have 2 DVI ones already.

3) When would be the best time to buy? I almost bought a PC from cyberpower during the last black friday sale for around 1400 or 1500 (AMD FX-9590, Radeon R9 390 or 390X, 16 GB RAM, 4 TB HD, 256 GB or bigger SSD, 800 W PS, Win 7, and pretty much standard everything else) but I waited to see if the x-mas sale would be better; it wasn't obliviously and still kick myself for not buying the black friday deal.

And in case your wondering, I am really not interested in building it myself. So I would rather buy a system from a place like cyberpower where I can get a 3 yr warrenty on the whole thing. But I am not opposed to buying the parts and taking them to or having them sent to a custom PC shop/builder in my area and paying like 100 for them to build and test it before I get it (as long as they warrenty their labor and the parts have 3 yr or better warrenties).

I am currently waiting for a summer sale, otherwise I am waiting for the next black friday sale from cyberpower; unless someone can show me a better deal.

I welcome other custom PC sites, but I already have a few others; cyberpower is the better and cheaper one.

Other sites I have seen - iBuyPower, Ironside Computers, Origin PC, Alienware

I also have made a system build on pcpartpicker - AMD Build - I welcome comments or suggestions here.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! RACPAI's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hmm wait for pascal...

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KingofAngels View Post
    Hmm wait for pascal...

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Second that --

As it stands AMD cannot compete, their current generation is super old. (CPU Wise)

GPU wise, we are about to see the new generation there.

We are suppose to get announcements very soon about the new GPUs. The new GPU's will be using HBM/HBM2 as opposed to GDDR5, which should mean better performance at 1440p or above.

I would say if you can -- wait for the time being.

If you cannot, Intel wise - Go for a Skylake CPU such as the i7-6700k, GPU wise, i would say its smarter to WAIT... because these should be coming sooner, but if you still need something to hold you over while you wait, a 960 is a great performer for $150-$200... Otherwise, yes a 980 ti is the best on the market

Let the bodies hit the floor... Opokalipse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

1) I'd get an i5, but I'm cheap and went with an i3 lol its better then my amd quad tho :D

2) I'd wait 3 months for the new videocard lines to come out, they are designed from the ground up for dx12. recommend amd if you are going midrange ($400US or less)

3) The best time to buy pc parts is when they are on sale. clearance isnt necessarily the best as these are parts that are over a year old

You should build it yourself. Its really easy. Get someone to help if you can, who is experienced.

PCpartpicker is a great site :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

One to consider is Doghouse systems. they are expensive but their customer service is awesome. They are who I am going to get my next PC from

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nertz View Post
    One to consider is Doghouse systems. they are expensive but their customer service is awesome. They are who I am going to get my next PC from
    If I didn't mind the cost, I'd had gone with alienware or origin already. And I looked that them, they don't offer much customization; like you gotta use a i3, i5, or i7 chip; they have a single case model for each chip, with the i7 only haveing white or black case color options; and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus121 View Post
    Second that --

As it stands AMD cannot compete, their current generation is super old. (CPU Wise)

GPU wise, we are about to see the new generation there.

We are suppose to get announcements very soon about the new GPUs. The new GPU's will be using HBM/HBM2 as opposed to GDDR5, which should mean better performance at 1440p or above.

I would say if you can -- wait for the time being.

If you cannot, Intel wise - Go for a Skylake CPU such as the i7-6700k, GPU wise, i would say its smarter to WAIT... because these should be coming sooner, but if you still need something to hold you over while you wait, a 960 is a great performer for $150-$200... Otherwise, yes a 980 ti is the best on the market
    Just read about Pascal, doesn't seem to be for comsumer use yet till at least mid or late 2017; I'd rather not wait that long and I doubt I'd even get it even if I did wait, as I bet if those are better than the Titans, they'll want $1,000 or more the first few months to a year; dunno about you, but I'm not paying that much for 1 vid card even on the first day it's out (and if I would have been willing to pay that much, I would have listed Titan down other than 980 Ti).

Is AMD coming out with a new Radeon line? I don't pay attention to tech news (or any news really).

And I already knew the i7 6700K is overall better then the AMD FX 9590, but they are on equal (or nearly equal) footing on performence on gaming; which is what matters to me. And I just noticed a price drop on i7's, last time I looked at them, the i7 cost nearly double the FX did, so I guess I should do a i7 build and see how that goes price wise since it's only 100 bux more now.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BlackKnight View Post
    1) I'd get an i5, but I'm cheap and went with an i3 lol its better then my amd quad tho :D

2) I'd wait 3 months for the new videocard lines to come out, they are designed from the ground up for dx12. recommend amd if you are going midrange ($400US or less)

3) The best time to buy pc parts is when they are on sale. clearance isnt necessarily the best as these are parts that are over a year old

You should build it yourself. Its really easy. Get someone to help if you can, who is experienced.

PCpartpicker is a great site :)
    Wouldn't use i5 or i3 unless I was building or going for some cheap azz PC for video watching and web use. For gaming PC, i7 or nothing if intel for me.

Well pascal or P100 seems to be the new nvidia one, which isn't going to be out for us till some time next year, and likely gunna cost 1,000+ like the Titans do now, so I would not pay that much for 1 vid card and I dont want to wait a year anyway. So unless Radeon's getting a new line, no point waiting, any word (aka links) for that?

And I haven't seen a PC parts clearance sell yet, or at least recently.
    Last edited by TekNicTerror; 04-05-2016 at 10:55 PM.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_TekNicTerror View Post
    Just read about Pascal, doesn't seem to be for comsumer use yet till at least mid or late 2017; I'd rather not wait that long and I doubt I'd even get it even if I did wait, as I bet if those are better than the Titans, they'll want $1,000 or more the first few months to a year; dunno about you, but I'm not paying that much for 1 vid card even on the first day it's out (and if I would have been willing to pay that much, I would have listed Titan down other than 980 Ti).
    Believe it or not, but the strength of the card has little to do with its pricing. It's more about the cost of the parts and such.

The Titan X is, if memory serves correctly here, roughly 10% better than the 980 Ti. It is, however, ~$300 more for it. Is it because it's the best? No, it's because it has 12 gigs of RAM on it, as opposed to the 980 Ti's 6 gigs. The GDDR5 RAM is quite expensive.

As far as CPU's go, I would honestly ask what you plan to use your computer for. If it's mainly for gaming and such, an i5 6600k will be better for you. If you do a lot of music recording/editing, video editing, and other programs that munch CPU up for lunch, then you should aim for an i7 6700k. It's not as big of a number, but the i5 is honestly better for gaming in my opinion.

I used to use an AMD 8350 as my CPU, and it was great, but it ran hot, used a lot of power, and didn't run multiple programs as well as I would have liked. I have since bought an Intel 6700k, and I'm much happier with it (I do music editing, and a little bit of video editing on top of gaming). The 9590 is just a binned 8350. It runs hotter, and uses a LOT more power. Personally, I'd recommend the i5 6600k for you, with a GTX 980 Ti.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Master Butters View Post
    Believe it or not, but the strength of the card has little to do with its pricing. It's more about the cost of the parts and such.

The Titan X is, if memory serves correctly here, roughly 10% better than the 980 Ti. It is, however, ~$300 more for it. Is it because it's the best? No, it's because it has 12 gigs of RAM on it, as opposed to the 980 Ti's 6 gigs. The GDDR5 RAM is quite expensive.

As far as CPU's go, I would honestly ask what you plan to use your computer for. If it's mainly for gaming and such, an i5 6600k will be better for you. If you do a lot of music recording/editing, video editing, and other programs that munch CPU up for lunch, then you should aim for an i7 6700k. It's not as big of a number, but the i5 is honestly better for gaming in my opinion.

I used to use an AMD 8350 as my CPU, and it was great, but it ran hot, used a lot of power, and didn't run multiple programs as well as I would have liked. I have since bought an Intel 6700k, and I'm much happier with it (I do music editing, and a little bit of video editing on top of gaming). The 9590 is just a binned 8350. It runs hotter, and uses a LOT more power. Personally, I'd recommend the i5 6600k for you, with a GTX 980 Ti.

And in most benchmarks the Titan is only 3% faster, despite that $300-500 premium. Thanks butters for posting this, this was exactly what I wanted to respond with. Sure AMDs current top of the line CPU's can do well in games, but they run ridicously hot and draw a lot of power. The i5 and i7 of skylake are just a better use of your money (including support for DDR4)

As for the Pascal talk, I also forgot to mention AMD's Polaris GPU - which according reports is built on the same 14 nm FinFET. If you google about polaris, they are suppose to be coming Mid 2016. Nvidia has been quiet about their upcoming consumer cards. What you mentioned about 2017, IRC refers to Nvidias chips for super computers. Regardless if we get more information about Polaris, I guarantee you, Nvidia will step in too.

These cards should be substantially better than their previous architectures.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Guess I shall be waiting till summer or around x-mas time then.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you absolutely wanted a build THIS INSTANT. Here's what you should get for best money at a higher budget which I classify as ~1300 USD and above. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hYkqYJ It's around the 1600 USD mark, but it would be really good. You don't need an i7 for Gaming, an i5 is perfectly fine. And, you could change this build to add a Pascal GPU when they are released. Also for gaming, always go Intel. AMD has great multi-core speed, but their single core speed is quite, lacking.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Gunna wait for summer sales or black friday/xmas sales, but if I buy the parts seperately, gunna be this GTX Build or R9 Build... assuming the new vid cards are pricey over these and the older cards' prices drop evenly (either way I will do another check on the cards, and everything else, before actually buying them to see if I can get better versions or models for a bit more $).

PS, picked that GTX model since it was the cheaper of the ones that had 2 DVI ports, same for the R9. I dont have any monitor (other than a TV in another room) that uses HDMI or DP ports; and when I get a new system, I'll have 2 DVI monitors it can hook up to (actually have 3 in this room now, but the 3rd is hooked up to another PC as is, which will be replaced by this one when a new PC comes). And if you hadn't guessed, I will not buy another monitor with DP or HDMI connectors just to run 2 monitors at once; I've never even used a 2 screen system before, dunno if I'll even like it, so it would be a waste of money if I end up just using 1 screen again.
    Last edited by TekNicTerror; 04-06-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Gunna wait for summer sales or black friday/xmas sales, but if I buy the parts seperately, gunna be this GTX Build or R9 Build... assuming the new vid cards are pricey over these and the older cards' prices drop evenly (either way I will do another check on the cards, and everything else, before actually buying them to see if I can get better versions or models for a bit more $).

PS, picked that GTX model since it was the cheaper of the ones that had 2 DVI ports, same for the R9. I dont have any monitor (other than a TV in another room) that uses HDMI or DP ports; and when I get a new system, I'll have 2 DVI monitors it can hook up to (actually have 3 in this room now, but the 3rd is hooked up to another PC as is, which will be replaced by this one when a new PC comes). And if you hadn't guessed, I will not buy another monitor with DP or HDMI connectors just to run 2 monitors at once; I've never even used a 2 screen system before, dunno if I'll even like it, so it would be a waste of money if I end up just using 1 screen again.
    At this point, you would be better off going with a i5-6600k and a 980Ti Hybrid. Also, that SSD is not quite the most quality SSD out there. And you certainly will never need 5 TB of HDD space... And your PSU is bloody trash...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hBwCBm That's what I'd HIGHLY reccomend you go with. The 980Ti Hybrid has a built-in Watercooler, and you get the BEST customer support EVER.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Nah, I want the i7's power, especially since I don't plan on OCing anything; CPU, GPU, and even just found out MB's cound be OCed recently.
    And I don't think I've seen a hybrid 980 Ti with 2 DVI ports, so I believe I'll stick to a normal one that's cheaper anyway; and since I am not OCing it, it shouldn't need to be water cooled.
    And you do realize people don't always uninstall games when they don't play them often or at all, so I would like the space; plus I do save other things as well.
    Also I don't wanna have to replace parts or add to the system for quite awhile, so that was why the (or nearly) top of the lines for the major parts (top i7/top FX/R9 390/GTX 980 Ti).
    PS, all parts would be getting a 3 yr warrenty on them as well, if I go the completely custom route.
    But I am more than likely gunna buy from cyberpowerpc.com unless someone can show me a better/cheaper place.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Anyone use fan contollers as well? Thinking of having a NZXT Sentry-2 on the new PC.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am having a tough choice on MB's now as well, ASRock Z170 Gaming K4/D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard or Asus B150 PRO GAMING D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard?

Also another choice on SSD's - Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" or M.2-2280

And the new build so far, decided to go with the GTX 980 Ti and drop R9 build all together, put a better PS on it, and I know it has both Samsung from above, just left them there since all it takes is one click to remove one {be nice is there was a feature where you could list multiple parts where there's only normaly one for like different options (like the 2 MB above for me, 2 CPU's, etc; where the main one is used for the price of build calulation and the other is in () or []} - i7 GTX Build.

PS, dont offer up any more GTX models, I want one with 2 DVI's, and that is the only model with it... unless you can show me a DVI to HDMI/DP cable or adapter.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You haven't mentioned what you plan on doing with your computer. If it's just gaming with some light other tasks, an i7 is completely pointless for you. The i7 excels at multitasking because it's hyperthreaded. If I recall correctly, the i5 is actually better (not by much) for gaming.

However, if you're absolutely stuck on an i7, then get one without the "k" at the end if you don't plan on overclocking. Waste of money otherwise.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Nah, I want the i7's power, especially since I don't plan on OCing anything; CPU, GPU, and even just found out MB's cound be OCed recently.
    And I don't think I've seen a hybrid 980 Ti with 2 DVI ports, so I believe I'll stick to a normal one that's cheaper anyway; and since I am not OCing it, it shouldn't need to be water cooled.
    And you do realize people don't always uninstall games when they don't play them often or at all, so I would like the space; plus I do save other things as well.
    Also I don't wanna have to replace parts or add to the system for quite awhile, so that was why the (or nearly) top of the lines for the major parts (top i7/top FX/R9 390/GTX 980 Ti).
    PS, all parts would be getting a 3 yr warrenty on them as well, if I go the completely custom route.
    But I am more than likely gunna buy from cyberpowerpc.com unless someone can show me a better/cheaper place.
    Just build it yourself. Overclocking is the way to go nowadays for better Performance Per Dollar. I spent ~$1000 USD on my PC alone, and compared to my non OC'able previous build. Oc'ing has been a godsend. I'm able to push my 6600k up to 4.1 Ghz, from it's stock clock of 3.5 Ghz, that's a .6 Ghz boost in speed, which may not seem like much, but it's a good margin faster than my old 3.2 Ghz i5-4460. It's Cheaper + You don't NEED the i7's Hyperthreading for gaming, it's quite literally useless for gaming applications. Also, If you don't want to Overclock, then why bother with an i7-6700k? The K series CPU's are MADE to Overclock. It's like what AOD_AshawTalos tells me "It's alot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." And, not Overclocking a K Series CPU is exactly that.

If you are worried about DVI Ports, just get an HDMI or Display Port to DVI converter. They are dirt cheap.

As for space. I haven't had to un-install any games whatsoever. I put my most often played games onto my SSD, and my lesser played games, or games that are already super fast on loading onto my HDD. It's that simple.

It's also ALOT cheaper to build it by hand than doing it through a builder.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am having a tough choice on MB's now as well, ASRock Z170 Gaming K4/D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard or Asus B150 PRO GAMING D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard?

Also another choice on SSD's - Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" or M.2-2280

And the new build so far, decided to go with the GTX 980 Ti and drop R9 build all together, put a better PS on it, and I know it has both Samsung from above, just left them there since all it takes is one click to remove one {be nice is there was a feature where you could list multiple parts where there's only normaly one for like different options (like the 2 MB above for me, 2 CPU's, etc; where the main one is used for the price of build calulation and the other is in () or []} - i7 GTX Build.

PS, dont offer up any more GTX models, I want one with 2 DVI's, and that is the only model with it... unless you can show me a DVI to HDMI/DP cable or adapter.
    http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-D...+dvi+i+adapter There's DVI to HDMI.

At you're price point, you can get MUCH more power with http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FMjgYJ which has a TITAN X... Aka, the BEST GPU on the market right now. And you know what you sacrifice? NOTHING. You go down to an i5-6600k which is arguably the most ideal CPU for gaming, to gain a Titan X!

You don't need a fancy motherboard. Just the basics. And, you don't need that much space. With just gaming, you would have to download ALOT of games to fill 5 TB of HDD space. Just put you're most played/Longest loadtime games onto the 500 GB SSD, and your OS on the SSD, then everything else on the 2 TB HDD.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There's a guy around here I know who'll build the system for like $100 since I did look up having one built from scratch before and delayed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast