Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue prowler707's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon4 fx8350 @ 77 degrees C!!!

so like the tittle says i was converting one of my videos and low and behold i hear my comp screaming at me which was expected however i didnt expect to see my cpu @ 77 degrees celsius @ about 70% CPU utilization. thats pretty hot for having a slight OC (i OCd in order to take advantage of my ram clock) so now im looking @ newegg for a large case fan to install in the front for intake and a new air-type heatsink and fan for my cpu. im not too concerned abouyt price but lets say i dont want to spend much more than $100 USD. so i look around neweggs power search feature and realize that theres a little more to fans than i thought -facedesk-.

1. what features are most important when it comes to cooling (im thinking fan speed, CFM[airflow measured in cubic feet per minute] but who knows never looked into cooling like this)

2. this is the first time i've ever stressed over cooling when im not even using 100% CPU Utilization but then again this is the first time ive used more than a quad core. wtf??

3. ill most likely be shopping around newegg but suggestions are always nice, currently a premier member and already have thermal paste/grease

4. included a hardware report generated by aida64 just in case XD
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hold on.

What CPU cooler are you using? If you're using the one that came with the 8350, then that's what needs to go first.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

yes that is exactly what i said

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Honestly man, if you have the space for it on your case, get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181032

It's a water cooler for your CPU. I have one on my 8350 and it works like a dream. Never really needs maintenance, besides the occasional dust here and there (Which is common for all types of coolers).

Unless you plan on stabbing the tubes with a knife or something, they aren't at all likely to leak.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

heres a cpu cooler for the newegg price seems legit:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118046

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_prowler707 View Post
    heres a cpu cooler for the newegg price seems legit:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118046
    Trust me, go for the water cooler. They are much better and makes your CPU cooler.

Besides, the 8350 is designed for overclocking. Not overclocking on it, or doing very slight overclocking on it is kind of pointless. I have mine OC'd to 4.6ghz and it runs pretty smoothly. Others have made it to 5.0ghz+ too.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

SOLD you do have a point there and it meets my $100 USD cap glad to hear you use it yourself as well nice oc btw. looks like itll fit into my atx mid case just fine are those hoses flexible or are they fixed?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

They're flexible, but a little stiff which I think is good. Makes them feel stronger.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

alright then should have it by wednesday or so. stiff tells me to take it easy on them now would you face the radiator towards the back of the case or the front or does it matter so long as its blowing inward/outward never used water cooling b4

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

alright then should have it by wednesday or so. stiff tells me to take it easy on them now would you face the radiator towards the back of the case or the front or does it matter so long as its blowing inward/outward never used water cooling b4
    What I mean by stiff is, don't expect them to be like a wet noodle. lol You can bend them a bit though.

As far as where the fans go, I don't know what's best. I have mine on top of my case. Remember they are two 120mm fans that connect to the radiator, so make sure you have the space. I only had the space for it on top of my case, as the rear fan is only big enough for one 120mm fan.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rainbow Dash View Post
    What I mean by stiff is, don't expect them to be like a wet noodle. lol You can bend them a bit though.

As far as where the fans go, I don't know what's best. I have mine on top of my case. Remember they are two 120mm fans that connect to the radiator, so make sure you have the space. I only had the space for it on top of my case, as the rear fan is only big enough for one 120mm fan.
    alright then ill just have to move my rear fan to the front or something no big deal if it comes to that right on for the help btw never messed with water cooling.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

alright then ill just have to move my rear fan to the front or something no big deal if it comes to that right on for the help btw never messed with water cooling.
    I had never messed with it either before getting mine.

Just make sure you don't make the mistake of setting both fans to pull the air into the case. lol I did that. Doesn't hurt much, if at all, but the temps are a lot higher. After I flipped both (So they both push air out) I noticed my temps dropped quite a bit, since it's actually pushing cool air from in my case through my radiator, instead of pulling hot air from my radiator into my case.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

lmfao yeah i can see that being a problem ill get mine in sometime monday or tuesday soooooo excited XD then i can see how far i can push this baby which presents another interesting question ... some of the oc options in bios are alien to me... im familiar with a few of them but im curious where can i set the ht link speed at i was able to put it at about 2600 MHz but not sure if thats max or not i figured beings you ocd yours already you can provide some pointers or maybe an oc guide thx for the help so far btw

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What motherboard are you using? I have an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard. I just pushed the multiplier up.

I personally would recommend against pushing the north bridge up, or whatever it is. It overclocks everything, which can fuck your system up if you're not careful. If you know what you're doing though, then you're fine, but if you're new to overclocking, I would personally recommend against it.

Anyway, as far as overclocking goes, it's a lot of guess and checking. I think my CPU is at 4.6 ghz with a voltage of like 1.46 or something like that, I can't remember off the top of my head and don't feel like digging it up, but it isn't too shabby in my opinion. Make sure you stress test it with Prime95 too. I've heard that you should let it go for at least 15 minutes to see if your overclock is at least somewhat stable, though longer is better.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ive done some oc b4 with intels and amds and find that the HT link speed is a primary limiting factor too high a setting and it simply wont boot not sure if thats mobo dependent or cpu dependent but according to the research ive been doing (ty google) it seems to be cpu dependent anyways i just got my package time to play XD

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OMFG you werent kidding about the case i have my side panel off and hanging the radiator outside right now now i need to buy a new case to install the radiator properly wtf man. but then again ive never seen this cpu at anything less than 55C and right now its at 42C OC @ 4.8GHz XD so happy ok time to play

Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rainbow Dash View Post
    Honestly man, if you have the space for it on your case, get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181032

It's a water cooler for your CPU. I have one on my 8350 and it works like a dream. Never really needs maintenance, besides the occasional dust here and there (Which is common for all types of coolers).

Unless you plan on stabbing the tubes with a knife or something, they aren't at all likely to leak.
    +1 got one of these on my rig, runs so cool even under adobe after effects etc

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't think 77C is too concerning. My laptop consistently runs at that temperature when playing games. More cooling would of course be ideal, but I don't think it's going to die.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Scipio View Post
    I don't think 77C is too concerning. My laptop consistently runs at that temperature when playing games. More cooling would of course be ideal, but I don't think it's going to die.
    excessive heat will wear down the lifetime of the components plus this is an amd which has a much lower heat tolerance than an intel (about 20 - 30C less) also some research ive done tells me amd doesnt use an actual thermometer to measure heat instead it uses an algorithm based on load, voltage and voltage spikes along with a couple other variables making it about 10C off on some cpus and as much as 20C off in others which may be the reason for the lower tolerance anyhow i still prefer my cpus to stay below 70C for sake of lifetime im planning on this build here to last me hopefully 5+ years (yeah i know its a stretch but hey a man can dream right?)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I definitely agree with you, and I think you should be able to get a reasonable liquid cooling system for fairly cheap. Just make sure you get a reliable one that won't spontaneously leak. If you can afford one a Peltier cooler can also help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast