Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Default Well Sims Kinda Suck....

I mean I know I can't really fly and I and struggling with target identification, but being locked to specific nations is far worse that I ever thought it would be...

I mainly fly British planes so being locked to USA and Jap planes is really throwing me in a loop. I expected the noob flying and not recognizing planes but damn... The locked nations is really, really sucky.

On the plus side I'm getting better with joystick every game. Any tips for a new sim pilot?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Track IR helps!

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_NavyAv8r View Post
    Track IR helps!
    That's one thing I don't have, but I have a nipple type 3rd stick on my x52 I'm using for view controls that works ok. GOt my first assist... F4U that I followed for a while and got a few hits into was then just derped by another Ki43 who was a far better pilot than me.

But yea, I just don't like the USA or Jap planes at all...
    Last edited by AOD_BritishBob; 04-26-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BritishBob View Post
    That's one thing I don't have, but I have a nipple type 3rd stick on my x52 I'm using for view controls that works ok. GOt my first assist... F4U that I followed for a while and got a few hits into was then just derped by another Ki43 who was a far better pilot than me.

But yea, I just don't like the USA or Jap planes at all...
    Spanakis just spent $15 setting up a home made "Track IR." http://www.clanaod.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102816

I put together my own set up for $40. If you plan on really getting into flight games and simulators, even beyond War Thunder and flight games, it is so worth it.

A cat's the only cat who knows where it's at Sythandria's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I also tried to play some simulator battles, but it didn't work out that great since I'm missing a joystick. Can anyone recommend a joystick to buy, not too expensive tho :P.

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sythandria View Post
    I also tried to play some simulator battles, but it didn't work out that great since I'm missing a joystick. Can anyone recommend a joystick to buy, not too expensive tho :P.
    Depends on expensive... I use a Saitek x52 HOTAS.

THe CH and Logitech joysticks here are quite good:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-joysticks/

Also second hand sticks can be a real cheap way in. But I'd rather try in person to see the quality rather than ebay. (kinda baldy explained what I mean there hope you get the idea.)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, 60 dollars is around the limit for me. And some friends recommended the Thrustmaster 16000M.
    And those sticks in there looks quite decent, gotta read a couple of reviews of those tho

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Yay planes I want to fly... Currently 3-0 K:D in 109s. Well one death, I turned my engine off 100m off the end of the runway by accident and face planted into the trees..

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Preditor458's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sythandria View Post
    Well, 60 dollars is around the limit for me. And some friends recommended the Thrustmaster 16000M.
    And those sticks in there looks quite decent, gotta read a couple of reviews of those tho
    This is the the stick I have

http://store.madcatz.com/categories/...ck-for-PC.html

You can adjust it to fit your hand, has a throttle control for 2 engines, if you need it, or you can lock it together for a single engine plane.

Haven't had any problems with it so far, but I don't use it nearly enough :)

Need way more practice with it in Sim battles though

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Pertaining to the whole locked nations things I seriously hate it as well. I'm a tanker and I just love all my pretty little tanks. But it sucks complete balls that I say can't use my Tiger 2 when I want to or my IS-2 anytime I want. And it is especially bad when the sides are stacked horribly, where say Germans would have access to Tigers and crazy stuff. Then Russians can only use an IS-1 and T-34-85. But ya I do miss the days when I could take my panther out into a sim battle and wreck which is so annoying that I can't do it now

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Just because, this kinda proves you don't need a super expensive setup:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWloc43J1HY

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Preditor458 View Post
    This is the the stick I have

http://store.madcatz.com/categories/...ck-for-PC.html

You can adjust it to fit your hand, has a throttle control for 2 engines, if you need it, or you can lock it together for a single engine plane.

Haven't had any problems with it so far, but I don't use it nearly enough :)

Need way more practice with it in Sim battles though
    This one was on my mind yesterday, but after reading a couple of reviews. I concluded the possible deadzone is quite big on that stick compared to sticks in the same price range.

In the end I was thinking about the Logitech extreme 3D pro ( I think it was called this) and the thrustmaster T160000M. They both had some pros and cons. The logitech was quite light, to the point where it would move when you're moving the stick to control your airplane. And the Thrustmaster was a bit heavier but had some weird touchy wouchy buttons.

I ended up buying the Thrustmaster because I feel that the more lightweighted will annoy me eventually. But thanks for the information you guys gave me. I also collected some info from Henkie in TS yesterday :D.

(Hopefully the joystick will arrive this evening and I'll be installing and adjusting the settings this evening in that case :D)

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Preditor458's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hmmm, that's interesting. When I researched it before buying it, never saw anything about a problematic deadzone, all the reviews I saw were very positive. Mine certainly doesn't have one.

Sure the Thrustmaster will serve you well though, its a good brand. :)