If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sargent Horse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Attempting to build a $700ish rig

Sorry if this low budget is an insult to you great minds :P, But I have a challenge. I would like a $700ish tower build that is able to run WoT on the max settings possible for the budget. Here is what I have now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/887NTW - Sargent_Horse

Can I have your Tots Deranged_Trini's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey just some quick suggestions. Instead of buying a 1TB HDD, try to salvage an old hdd for cheap or free and run your os and your frequently played game eg (World of Tanks) on this http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digit...s=kingston+ssd. This would decrease load times by alot and is worth it giving you an overall snappier more responsive system. As for your case personally i would choose something a bit cheaper like a (Corsair Carbide 300r windowed) it will save you some money and looks great. You can also use that saved money and purchase a decent air cooler like the cooler master hyper 212 evo. This will get u a higher CPU clock in case you want more performance in the future. Otherwise great build Have Fun

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Vonarus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I second what Deranged Trini said about the SSD and Cooler, specifically the hyper 212 evo. You don't want the Antec 900 case, because it's a huge dust magnet; for $15 more you can get a windowless Define R5 with dust filters on every intake (pretty much the best case out there right now, except maybe the Corsair 550D which is way overpriced).

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

what computer are you using now? Would you be able to dismantle the old computer for parts? Let's us know and we will see specifically what can be reused.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am building from the ground up, not dissmantling. Also, added that SSD, very good idea, don't know why I didn't put one on before.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ugh, 5 minute post edit limit.
    I do not think that the CPU cooler is necessary right now as 3.5 ghz base with the stock AMD cooler should be enough. Here is the revised list (still up for suggestions though) http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sargent_Horse/saved/mzxNnQ
    I do have a question though. Can someone explain how the fans will work? I am not used to custom cases with fans. Thanks - Sargent_Horse

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Vonarus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You just plug the fans into either fan headers on the motherboard or into power connectors from the power supply, and that's pretty much it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rct_Vonarus View Post
    You just plug the fans into either fan headers on the motherboard or into power connectors from the power supply, and that's pretty much it.
    Oh ok awesome, I was worried I had to add a fan controller.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you are building it for WoT, skip an AMD processor. They have awful single threaded performance. Basically, an i3 has better performance in WoT than the latest FX series processors from AMD. Even the 3-4 year old i5-2500k at stock speed is better than the latest FX series processors from AMD for WoT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140425062303a0drp616dvj6ve54.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	15855

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Your first build is showing up as $740. Here is what I came up with for about the same price:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RhqxCJ

You could save money by going with a G3258 and overclocking it. Its an unlocked Intel anniversary edition processor designed for overclocking. I could build something even faster with more features with your later $790 build price.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Battlepantie's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Vonarus View Post
    I second what Deranged Trini said about the SSD and Cooler, specifically the hyper 212 evo. You don't want the Antec 900 case, because it's a huge dust magnet; for $15 more you can get a windowless Define R5 with dust filters on every intake (pretty much the best case out there right now, except maybe the Corsair 550D which is way overpriced).
    You can cut it out a thin layer of squishy foam to put infront of the fans in the case. I have this case because of the giant fan on top pulling the hot air out. When Playing planetside with a r9 270x and fx9590 the temps been between 40-50c I also have a cool master hyper Evo 212 attached to the cpu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! bodaciuos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also, be careful with the Hyper Evo 212 and the case. Great fan...but, I am currently not using it due to it being too big for my case door. I am using the stock processor fan which seems to be working fine (mid 40's C at heavy loads). When I get motivated, I will make the Evo 212 work, but, it is going to take a bit adjustments to allow it to fit. I am using a Mid Size case.

This was my first shot at a custom build completed in January this year, and I am very happy with the outcome.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? Peasnriz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Xeon E3 1230v2 or E3 1240v2 are both good cpus unable to over clock though, I know there are a fair few of these floating around (because servers are switching over to newer E5 cpus) both new and used for reasonable prices $140-200, they are quad core and give a very similar level of performance to a i7 4770. Benchmarks comparing it to the i3 chip it completely blows it out of the water in almost every area other than single core performance, which granted a lot of games are not optimized to run on multiple cores, however your computer will probably plot ways to use up your processor power by updating Steam or doing a Virus sweep.

I would generally advise people to spend at least the same amount on their cpu as they are on the gpu to bring balance to the system. A gpu can always be upgraded at a later date easily and the price depreciation on gpus is higher than cpus, also switching CPUs often means switching motherboards also.

Its up to you what you want to do but if you shop around and are patient you can certainly make that $700 stretch a long way.