Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue prowler707's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ive got a corsair h100i which is cooling well but its throttling my cpu somehow though i did reset my cmos i thought i reverted everything but i guess i missed something sad that i cant play lol without experiencing intermittent lag after about 20-30 mins in ...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ok after some ridiculous amount of research i found out that the lack of heatsink on the vrm on this particular board is the culprit i didnt have this problem before probably because the air cooler blew air over the vrm. so now i gotta find more shit for this mobo to stay away from being throttled yay me...

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_prowler707 View Post
    ok after some ridiculous amount of research i found out that the lack of heatsink on the vrm on this particular board is the culprit i didnt have this problem before probably because the air cooler blew air over the vrm. so now i gotta find more shit for this mobo to stay away from being throttled yay me...
    That's tough luck, my friend.

If you can, see about buying a new motherboard maybe? (I realize that maybe it's not something you can get soon, but if you can save up for a better one it'd be better)

In the meantime, if you don't mind the noise/whatnot, maybe try opening up the side of your case and putting a small fan in front of it to blow air on it. I used to do that when I was doing Prime95 tests to lower the heat as much as possible.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Does your case have a side panel fan? Since your board is only a 4+1 phase board, you will need heatsinks, + active cooling on the VRM's

e.g., heatsinks like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835708012

or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835708012

to find the best fit, you will need to measure the VRM size. if the areas highlighted in green, can be covered by 1 to 2, 10mm heatsinks side by side, then you may be able to do 5 columns of 2, 10mm heatsinks.

Or if there is not quite enough space to properly cover them, then you can go with the smaller ones.

PS, due to the temperature of many VRM's thermal tape alone, may not stick well enough, thus you may need to add a tiny amount of super glue to the sides of the VRM's after sticking the heatsinks using the thermal tape (thus getting some glue on the 90 degree angle formed by the side of the VRM, and the bottom of the heatsink. (not recommended if the motherboard is still under warranty, as super glue will be impossible to clean off)

Before applying any heatsink to the VRM, you must first clean them with alcohol, and a paper towel in order to make sure that all dust, and any other residue is removed (or the thermal tape will not stick properly.

If the motherboard is run at a horizontal orientation, then you do not need to worry about using super glue. If vertical, then see if you can temporarily run it in the horizontal orientation, then see if the VRM heatsinks feel like they are getting lose after getting hot (I recommend using gloves for this)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

(5 minute edit limit :( )

If you have the gel like super glue which can hold its shape, then before cleaning the VRM's, you can rub a tiny amount of all purpose flour on them, then without removing the protective tape on the heatsinks (provided a single heatsink can cover 2 of the chips (vertically)), then you can use the outline created by that in order to cut away a little bit of the thermal tape that will not be in contact with the VRM, then put a little bit of super glue gel in its place.

Or you can not use thermal tape, and instead, get thermal epoxy http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-...=thermal+epoxy

though that will mean that the heatsink will never be removed (thus all warranties voided on the motherboard)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

omg i cant believe this worked... i looked at the original air cooler and turned it around to match with the clamps and found that the cooling fins directed air more or less over the vrm after some thought i decided to take my case fan off and wedge it between the case and the water cooling lines coming from the cpu side of the water cooler ... now im clocked @ 4.5GHz stable and can probably push for more but hey im happy i can oc at all and convert a video without the speed drop YAY LMFAO ive never had to jerry rig a comp b4 and its fkn hilarious that i had to do this to a new build i think next time ill make sure i have a case capable to accept and monstrous watercooler and get a real mobo till then im happy this will work for now. however i wonder if there is a way i can mount a single heatsink over all the vrm cause i dont have jap hands lol

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can mount a single large heatsink, but due to the motherboard design, you will have to mod the heatsink to the right shape
    e.g., here is a random video where someone did this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qKDCak2Faw

I highly recommend getting some heatsinks on those VRM's as you are pretty much running them at their limits.
    generally for overclocking CPU's over 90 watts, 8+2 phase power delivery is needed to be on the safe side.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

well i cant say i have a hack saw and ive never used thermal tape (though it looks self explanatory) but that would be perfect i think ill have to keep the case fan over the vrm though just to be on the safe side ill see what i can find and put it in my wish list right on for the help guys your fkn awesome im learning more about hardware than i ever thought about ... which is embarrassing since ive been messin with them since i was 5 lol

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck 13uckFUtter's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

yea that 4+1 with that oc will kill those vrms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12