If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? SuperMrCart's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Need a replacement with power supply

So my power supply seems to be failing me after an hour or so of planetside 2 and battlefield and i guess this my computer's way to tell me it needs a new heart,
    So i dont know if i should get a 600w or go for a 750w powersupply but i am gonna get it at least gold certified
    Ima post my spec so you computer wizards can help me out;D

Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    6Gb of Ram
    Asus m5a78l-mlx plus motherboard
    gigabyte gtx 760 2gb winforce

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Go 750w. You don't need it but if you ever change your system/upgrade you can keep it. Don't go for the cheap ones either. Corsiar, seasonic enermax ect are decent brands.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue VooDooVonz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

This is handy link to use to figure out what size you need. I always go bigger so I can use it next time I rebuild a new rig or add or upgrade video cards. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue DDevastatedTV's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i would get a gold cooler master psu, very good :P

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! bodaciuos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The bigger, the better.
    Leaves room for upgrades/future builds.
    Miserable to save $10 and a year from now, spending more. All other components 'improve' in computer speed/graphics rendering. A power supply does not change..just needs more juice.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

** That's a great tool to use, Dont necessarily bank on the exact PSU model it recommends, the wattage it calculates is what's important; ALWAYS add 10%-15% to the value calculated for rest-assure and expansion; do this by multiplying the value in [Watts] by 0.10 or 0.15, Then Adding that value to the original calculated Value.

EDIT: Be sure to add 10% to the "Capacitor Aging" Dropdown menu too; it compensates for (I'm assuming) the normal-over-time Dielectric breakdown/aging(NOT FULL dielectric breakdown, tha'd be really bad, thats when you get burst caps, usually they bulge at the top, or get noticeably bulkier; on aluminum-electrlytic capacitors the "x" or "v" silver top portion will have visible dielectric leakeage from its seams, sometimes it looks orange, but it varies widel )

I'm confident you would be fine w/ 500W 80+ Gold PSU; Theres no harm AT ALL in getting a 750W PSU 80+ Gold, but It'd be way more than enough for your rig, even w/ expansion; it would be future proof/upgrade proof though.

NOTE: All but 1 of these I've used or had experience with personally; so the reviews on newegg, take w/ a grain of salt; There usually(if not always) indicative of the reliability/performance of the product; everybody, no matter how good the component, gets DOA's or Little minor(and EXPECTED) issues that come over time w/ PC Hardware; Look at the price of the component, then think about the nature of PC hardware and that individual component's function, then bitch from there in my opinion, HAHA.

Heres a few good 500-750W 80+ Gold PSU's I'd personally recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-321-_-Product

Roswill Photon 550W 80+ Gold Full-Modular PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-321-_-Product

Seasonic G Series 550W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular (24Pin ATX + 8Pin EPS; Then rest is modular) PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151119 <-- Highly recommend.

CoolerMaster V550 550W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171092

You would be fine w/ a 650W 80+ Gold Certified PSU; Due to the fact that there is a bit of a misconception of how much DC(Not AC; The PSU takes 120V/60Hz AC <--Unites States and Breaks it down w/ a A/C-D/C Converter then divides the voltages into 3V,5v, And +12V/-12V); For instance an example of my system: Core i3-4330 (53W TDP; Haswell),2x4GB Corsair 1600MHz 1.5v DDR3 RAM, HSI 87M-G43 Motherboard, EVGA GTX 960 SSC Graphics Card OC'ed, x1 Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD, x1 OCZ Vertex3 64GB SSD, x1 WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache HDD, ODD Combo Drive, Rosewill Dual RJ-45 NIC, NZXT LED Strips x2, NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller, and x2 CM SickeFlow Blue LED 120mm Fans + x3 Rosewill RFA-120-BK 120mm Fans + x1 Corsair H60 Stock Cooling Fan(Detached from Rad- Uses as exhaust), Logisys 100mm Fan Heatsink PWM, and 4-5 USB Devices at a time(x2 WiFi Adapters: 1 802.11AC/1 802.11n 300Mbps for 2.4GHz/5GHz band utilization + USB K/B + Mouse + 1.5V AA/AAA Battery Charger); ALL of those components run off of a Rosewill CAPSTONE 450W 80+ Gold-Certified PSU w/ Wiggle room(Watts; :p) left over. *MOST* High end gaming rigs($1300-$2100+/-) can run a Corsair AX760i/HX750i and be absolutely fine and have room for expansion; Remember that the amount of power your PC draws depends on whether its at 100% Load at any given point and the combined Max TDP of your components added to the Max Power usage of all connected Peripherals and Devices at max usage; As you can see, i have a good amount of components/devices/peripherals (Forgot to mention x1 27" ASUSV278Q 1080p 1ms Monitor, x1 LG 1600x900 24" Monitor, and x1 1600x1050 Dell 24" Monitor; x1 HDMI + x2 DVI-I) and It never exceeds the Power supplys 450W Rating (w/ PSU's, its possible to exceed their Power rating in [W] and still run the PC, its just at that point, you start really losing effiency, and start harming the PSU and even your components, causing Data corruption, especially in Flash Devices like SSD's, and DRAM, which isn't good if your in the middle of a R/W operation or installing a game or something; 80+ Gold/80+ Platinum PSU's can manage a small nominal amount of voltage above their rating and still be reletively safe + Their VERY good at taking that AC Voltage and properly/accurately distributing it to Mutliple Rails/Single-Rail Mutliple voltage levels [3.3V,5V,+12V/-12V <--- Ground, I'd assume, Neg. voltages are almost always ground references, or the Anode/Negative terminal of a battery, or a series of batteries] without much loss in voltage from the Conversion, some use Voltage amplifiers in-series/parallel with the AC-DC Converter IC to Dynamically amplify the voltage if some of it was lost in the conversion.);

* Point is; High effiency 80+ Gold/80+ Platinum (<--Especially Platinum) require lower voltages to run more components/higher-end equipment than those 80+ Silver,Bronze, and standard old 80+

Hope this helps-
    Last edited by Grady666; 05-07-2015 at 11:02 AM.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Rixxan's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My planned build is using a 650 watt fully modular, but the final call is up to you. Grady helped me with mine.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! QuickCry0's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey Cart! I just replaced my blow'd up Corsair with an EVGA 750w 80 plus gold full modular for $95. Pretty good deal for a good piece of hardware.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! bodaciuos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_QuickCry0 View Post
    Hey Cart! I just replaced my blow'd up Corsair with an EVGA 750w 80 plus gold full modular for $95. Pretty good deal for a good piece of hardware.
    That is a great price

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Its no longer $95; The best 750W+ 80+ Gold Certified PSU for under $100 is Probably the Seasonic S12G; Seasonic is actually an OEM, they make the "barebones" boards for Corsair,Antec, Coolermaster, ETC Power supply's; There great quality and they've been around for a WHILE, so they know how to make a solid PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151138

You could also go with the Rosewill Photon 750W Full-Modular 80+ Gold PSU for the same price; but I prefer Quality and reliability over modularity and appearance

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Are you sure it is the power supply? Anyways, I would go with the 750 just incase of future builds (assuming it is a good quality psu)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Fishwithadeagle View Post
    Are you sure it is the power supply? Anyways, I would go with the 750 just incase of future builds (assuming it is a good quality psu)
    I had an experience where a perfectly good power supply was making funky noises and voltage spikes/dips because It was plugged into an outlet that my grandfather "grounded" in the 70s. Not grounded. Bad wiring makes for a badddd day.