I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Suisfonia's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Default Time to upgrade Vid Card?

So after about two-three years I think I might be getting to the point where I need to upgrade my video cards (or card, depending) presently I use the GTX 670 in SLi mode but am wondering if there is a better solution, I don't MIND SLI but I still find games that don't overly work to well in it (Far Cry 4 for example) sadly I don't have a very large budget right now, so I really can't afford the multi-thousand dollar Titans (I wish! ;_; )

Don't suppose our comp experts here have suggestions? Please do note that I use only Nvidia, since its the only graphics card that Blender 3D supports for its rendering pipeline (IE: Cuda Cores) so ATI is out of the question for me.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I iXiBlack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i enjoy my 970x nvidia geforce

First take the plank out of your own eye.
    Rank
    First Sergeant
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

I upgraded to the 960 gtx 4gb FTW model, and I get pretty constant 55-60 fps even in big fights in PS2.

running 3 year old PC (Alienware), so the CPU/RAM is older stuff. Much much better than the 5770 things I had in SLI.

Art by Blinix

Thoughts become Actions. Actions become Habits. Habits become Character.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If your case, I recommend getting a single GTX 980 if you can.

Assuming good SLI scaling, 2 GTX 670s, will offer similar performance to a GTX 780, thus for upgrades, you are looking for what will be a good upgrade from a GTX 780.

The extra video memory will also be a great help.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mokona512 View Post

Assuming good SLI scaling, 2 GTX 670s, will offer similar performance to a GTX 780, thus for upgrades, you are looking for what will be a good upgrade from a GTX 780.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mokona512 View Post

He's right about the 980; Since it looks like you do some 3d rendering/graphics compute and gaming the amount of VRAM is a pretty big focus when you choose a card; The 980 is a solid card, for non-industrial(When i say non-industrial i mean stuff like 3-dimensionally mapping massive parts of the bottom of the ocean, Lithography, stuff like that :P)

It depends on your budget; Also, in my opinion: one single great card is better than 2 middle or low end cards in SLI/CFX, Reasons like you said: Game scaling, Performance scaling, programs and games being able to take full advantage of the cards in SLI/CFX(<-- CFX Especially) SO 980, YES, if your not to worried about cash;

another option is getting a middle-end (or higher end) quadro and using it for CUDA while keeping your x2 670's in SLI for gaming. Im not to familiar w/ Workstation cards, but i know that people often use them to accelerate Graphics compute w/ CUDA(Nvidia) or OpenCL(ATI/AMD) very reasonably(for a consumer workstation card; Quadro) priced Quadro seems to have less CUDA Cores than the 980 and the 970 even; I dont know why this is; I know their built to be used in a different, maybe more stressful environment, but less CUDA Cores + Less VRAM = Less GPU Compute performance..? Can someone confirm this w/ me?

The 970, Honestly, is a great gaming card; despite its 3.5GB PUMA + .5 TORTOISE, VRAM is almost never exceeded @ resolutions like 1080p and 1440p- But i wouldn't buy it if i where doing both Compute and gaming, simply for reliability and stability reasons when rendering.

Hes pretty much right- A 980 is your best bet

That or wait for the 300 series Radeons to come out, and w/ their HBM, Better GPU Resource Utilization/Manangement, and DX12 would be GREAT cards (390/390X) for gaming and rendering; I heard they had low-yields on HBM VRAM/RAM though, so its been delayed :(
    The bus-width and Total bandwidth on those cards is supposed to be sick.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Suisfonia's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the suggestions, look like I"ll be saving up :)

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Glad to do my part helping :)

If your saving up, keep an eye out on ATI/AMD's R9 390/390X (300 Series) Graphics cards release; Like I said, from what I've read their going to be great gaming AND rendering cards w/ their HBM("High Bandwidth Memory) + Updated GPU Architecture and with DirectX 12 On its way, Those cards might just be the perfect fit for you-

Here is a few articles on the prospective and/or confirmed 300-series improvements/technologies:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...-gpus-in-june/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...ory-bandwidth/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...gb-hbm-memory/

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For comparable performance, you are looking at a 970, but more ikely a 980. I would just sell those cards on craigslist and try to buy the most expensive video card you can. Those will still fetch a pretty penny.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thoser 670's should still fetch a good price, so I would include that possible money into your purchase of the new components.