Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Dennistein's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You are helpfull and i apreciate your help i just wondering why it says 100% when only reading with 10mb/s

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Viera View Post
    You are helpfull and i apreciate your help i just wondering why it says 100% when only reading with 10mb/s
    What says 100% while reading 10Mbps? Let me know, might help me out a little better,

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neacutevtelen4_zpsfiwsxu0z.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	389.5 KB 
ID:	17260
    Its on hungarian but the things are there

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Name:	Neacutevtelen4_zpsfiwsxu0z.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	389.5 KB 
ID:	17260
    Its on hungarian but the things are there
    Thats your hard drive usage; Which im sure you already know-

What are you doing in-game right in the moment of taking that screenshot? If its loading a map, or locally-stored game information then 10Mbps is terrible, but also remember that Task manager,when it calculates disk speed, it often low-balls it, its often a bit faster than being reported; If you are IN-GAME, try staring at a graphics intensive texture(s) or fire,explosion,ETC and then take a screenshot of your desktop with a monitor for your GPU -AND- HDD, as well as your CPU. That would help a ton.

*I know in foreign country's the decimal is often substituted as a colon, in engineering its good practice to write values using colons, its more common than decimal.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Name:	cpu_zpsxrdhe8be.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	392.6 KB 
ID:	17263

cpu

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Name:	Gpu_zpslacjgd8h.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	395.0 KB 
ID:	17264
    Gpu

Knee High to a Worms Ass Catalyst42's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hi,

Just a stab in the dark here, but you might want to try the following two things:

-1- In past windows, such behavior indicated disk problems (if the disk has problem reading files, it retries a lot, thus having high usage but low transfers). You could try running a checkdisk on it:

something like "chkdsk /b /f /v /scan c:" in command line.

-2- Another possibility is that, nowadays, windows tend to do many things all by itself in a stealthy way. Downloading windows updates, running defrags, running windows defender, etc.

You could try disabling your network card/removing the cable to see what happens if your comp doesn't have access to internet anymore. Does that stop the disk going wild?

bonus for the tech savvy:

If the disk isn't damaged and this is a software problem then:

-3- Go there: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb896645.aspx and download process monitor (it's microsoft, you should be safe).
    Unpack the zip, run the exe and this opens:

Un click the 3 buttons I stroke in red (leaving just file system activity)
    Then when your disk goes to 100% activity, click on the button circled in red (autoscroll)

This will start recording what processes use your disk, let it run for like 5 seconds then click the same button again (autoscroll).

By looking at the processes appearing most often in the capture window, you might get a lead on what's causing this.

Hope it helps, post here with what happened :)

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Timmee45's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Win8 is notorious for thrashing platter HDD's and I run into this a lot with machines at work. Upgrading to more RAM (16gb) and disabling disk caching will fix your issue. Or like someone else said, get a cheap USB3 thumbdrive and set disk caching to that.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OK today not felt any bad about my drive even if im played it showed the proper information i think its good now
    Maybe magick maybe not dunno thank you everyone for help

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you everyone who helped me!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon14

Thank you everyone who helped me!
    No problem, I love helping others out w/ Electronics/Hardware, and talking about it to! :)

Be sure to give alot of credit to Catalyst42, and ModJPB; Catalyst's response was much more knowledgeable on the subject of troubleshooting/fixing your issue, good help.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For general use, many applications, it is rare for a hard drive to read or write at its full speed. For games, you will typically be doing random reads which hard drives have a lot of trouble with.

For utilization, there are 2 readings that can count towards a 100% HDD load, the first is the throughput, this kicks in when doing linear reads or writes (for the 1TB 7200RPM WD black, the top read and write speed, is 110MB/s)

Another limitation, is the IO performance. For this drive, the IO performance ranges from around 90-150 IOPS depending on queue depth. That means that if the game is only issuing commands at a a queue depth of 2, then the drive can only complete 100 different reads or writes per second (provided the overall transfer size is within 110MB/s (throughput will get lower depending on the physical location of the data. If the data is closer to the center of the drive, then you will only have a throughput budget of around 60-70MB/s.

When you are experiencing performance issues like this, the best way to track it down, is to use process explorer.

(preferably on a second monitor so you can see them while you game)

Overall CPU usage is never an indicator of a bottleneck unless it is at 100%. If you want to spot a CPU bottleneck, then take 100 and divide it by the total number of cores/ threads that your CPU has

Then that will determine the max CPU usage that a single threaded process can allocate. Then using process explorer, you can monitor each thread that an application has launched, and then you can check for if any threads are fully using 1 core worth of CPU time, if you spot one, then you have a CPU bottleneck, regardless of the overall CPU usage. It is why games like second life can lag to 20FPS, while using 15% GPU usage, and 25% CPU usage.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb896653.aspx

For example, here is Witcher 3 running on my system

Phenom II x6 1075t at 3.92GHz
    12GB RAM
    GTX 760 (overclocked to 1306MHz)
    running on a low end (sata2) 120GB sandisk ultra SSD

On the system, the bottleneck is the GPU. I keep everything at max except hairworks, as I targeted a frame rate of 30FPS. The Game requires more than 2GB of VRAM so the card begins to allocate system memory to pick up the slack.

The spikes in IO usage, is from me running around in Novigrad. The drop in GPU usage, is when Ii alt tabbed out of the game in order to take screenshots. The game is running in windowed mode so it does not release the GPU even when in the background.

But as you can see in my case, the CPU is not a bottleneck (a CPU bottleneck would be a single thread using 16.7% CPU usage on my CPU)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12