Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector Rinab's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon5 Running Fallout New Vegas on Intel HD graphics card

Hey all. I've been having the urge to play Fallout NV so I went and installed it on my laptop (Had it back in the day via steam when I had a better computer). I'm having a issue where at certain times in the game, usually at certain points of being at the outskirts of a town or outpost, the game starts stuttering, and literally acting like it's "alt-tabing" out than back in 2-3 times; than works fine for 5-6 seconds, and does it again. It's not a constant issue, but does happen here and there. I can play for 6-8 hours with out experiencing this, than suddenly it'll happen. I am running on a intel hd graphics card (since that's what comes with the laptop). It's more of a nuisance than anything else, but I was wondering if anyone may have heard of this before and knows a work around? I've verified file integrity, uninstalled and reinstalled, played with settings ect ect ect. The only thing that happens to work to fix if I turn the graphics all the way down, but when I do that, I go from 60 fps down to 30 fps. Help?

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Running Fallout New Vegas on Intel HD graphics card

Did you update all your drivers especially the Intel ones for the HD4000? Also, if you are using a mouse, it is possible your left hand wrist might be hitting the track pad causing weirdness to happen. Does it do this while the charging cable is plugged in? Check you temperatures as well. If unplugged or if overheating the HD chips are designed to downclock and then once it has enough power vs temperature again it will clock up again. How much RAM do you have?

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Stunter's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also check for malware or any other app that may be trying to become active. I've seen this happen in the past when some other process is trying to bring itself to the front.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue FlintBeastwood's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

well don't expect much for running it on that chipset.

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector Rinab's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Lol I already know not to expect too much, it's running on med-low settings. I tried out playing it without the cord plugged in and for some reason that made it stop. Idk why but not going to complain here lol. Thank you!

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ModJPB View Post
    Did you update all your drivers especially the Intel ones for the HD4000? Also, if you are using a mouse, it is possible your left hand wrist might be hitting the track pad causing weirdness to happen. Does it do this while the charging cable is plugged in? Check you temperatures as well. If unplugged or if overheating the HD chips are designed to downclock and then once it has enough power vs temperature again it will clock up again. How much RAM do you have?
    "Check you temperatures as well."- Thats probably your best bet other than drivers; Like he said, when your CPU(which is where the integrated GPU/IGP die is located |) overheats to its TjMax (Its maximum Internal temperature of its Internal Cores ), It begins to throttle-back and reduce its clockspeed to decrease power(W) dissipation, which is released as Heat. Especially with Integrated graphics configurations where you not only have the CPU/Processor functioning, but also the IGP(Internal Graphics Processor)/Integrated graphics alongside it your Processor is going to run a little hotter than if you where using just the CPU and a dedicated(any dedicated GPU, anything better than the IGP that offloads that task to the dedicated card) graphics card-

**My recommendation is getting a laptop cooling pad/device. I've listed a few below ranging in price, just for reference:

1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-727-_-Product

2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-313-_-Product

3) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834966313

* Be sure to get one(if you do), that relatively aligns with the vents on the bottom of your laptop to be sure the air gets where it needs to go.