I just do this shit for my click like Adam Sandler Rex Crater's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Should I overclock?

Iv'e always barely been able to play Planetside 2 and recent updates seem to have pushed me over the edge, and can no longer get enough frames for the game to be playable even with 800x600 resolution and 50% render quality. Is overclocking worth it? I know it can cause potential trouble but at this point Its either overclock or take a LOA until i can get a new PC. How big are the risks and what are they? I have a Radeon 7300

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Lonearcher's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I wouldn't go as far as overclocking.. i'd get a new graphics card... How long is it since you updated the parts in your computer?

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Lonearcher's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Lonearcher View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as overclocking.. i'd get a new graphics card... How long is it since you updated the parts in your computer?
    What i mean by go as far as overclocking is that you could risk your computer breaking down on you :P

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rex Crater View Post
    Iv'e always barely been able to play Planetside 2 and recent updates seem to have pushed me over the edge, and can no longer get enough frames for the game to be playable even with 800x600 resolution and 50% render quality. Is overclocking worth it? I know it can cause potential trouble but at this point Its either overclock or take a LOA until i can get a new PC. How big are the risks and what are they? I have a Radeon 7300
    ** You can OC your card, but given the age of that card, it wont help much. Even modern GPU's(Especially CPU's) dont get "huge" or real world benefits from OC'ing. It is relatively safe to OC your card, be sure to use MSI Afterburner: http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner And just adjust the GPU Clock Speed, dont adjust the Memory Clock speed until you feel you have reached a stable GPU Clock + Voltage.

* Your Graphics card's latest drivers should be installed, And certain features of MSI Afterburner may not be available, again, due to the age of the card.

The only issue(That I can think of) you'd run into is if your card overheats, due to lack of cooling coupled with increasing the amount of Voltage to the GPU, it will obviously Fry or cause crashes. As long as your conservative with the amount of voltage you decide to increase, you should be ok.

You can get a new Graphics card, as well as Processor & MB. If you cant play at a 800x600 Resolution, then you can get a cheap (assuming your not on a recent Intel/AMD Chipset) MB+CPU and Graphics card for around $270 (ASRock mATX H97 LGA 1150 MB + Intel Pentium G3450 @ 3.4GHz DC w/ no HT + Nvidia GTX 750)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

do i risk breaking more than my Graphics card by overclocking? my PC is just some $500 shitbox from Best Buy so cooling isn't probably the best, and i wasn't really planing on buying new parts until i can get a decent PC as my current one dosn't seem like its worth investing in.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rex Crater View Post
    do i risk breaking more than my Graphics card by overclocking? my PC is just some $500 shitbox from Best Buy so cooling isn't probably the best, and i wasn't really planing on buying new parts until i can get a decent PC as my current one dosn't seem like its worth investing in.
    No, it shouldn't, not unless it catches fire, which is highly unlikely, It will just fry your card; Thats the WORST CASE scenario.

If your still sketchy about it use HWMonitor to monitor your Temp.'s: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Then look up the rated (safe) operating temperature's of your Graphics card and CPU, and if it reaches any of those temps(Your CPU will most likely shutdown immediately if it reaches its maximum operating temperature[TJMax], but your GPU might not)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

yeah ill just go for it. I'm only going to overclock when I play planetside anyway and if i do break it its cheap to replace. Thanks for the advice!

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You should always overclock when possible, as long as it can be safely done. Overclocking is essentially free performance so it is always good to get.

Generally overclocking will not get you to a different quality level unless it is some serious CPU bottleneck, but on the GPU side, you can typically get an extra 5-10+FPS. and if a game is heavily CPU bottlenecked, you can sometimes get a good 20-30% performance boost depending on the overclock. E.g., taking your CPU from 3.5GHz, to 4.5GHz+ (sadly not too many games now really benefit from a CPU overclock (with the exception of poorly coded single threaded ones such as second life).