Hey all. I play on your server pretty much daily. Usually for a good 2-5 hours. It's usually me and 4-6 friends I bring with me. I don't generally come on other clans forums, but in the case of your server, I really wanted to because we enjoy your server.
I wanted to tell you the things I like about your server, as well as some things I don't like, that I think you could easily make better without any huge changes.
I have ran 3 top 50 servers and 2 other top 20 servers for the last 3-4 years. Since BF3 came out I have been admining servers, sometimes spending 5-8 hours a day modding, changing, tweaking. I've created spreadsheets and reviewed thousands of log entries, always looking for a way to make things better. I'm not trying to brag :P just giving some weight to what I have to say.
- The players. You have some really good players on your server. It makes it fun when a server has good players that are challenging and can help me increase my abilities.
- Your own clan members. You are all very fun to play against. As well as fun to play with. Anytime I can, I try to join whatever squad has the most AOD members. I find many of your members like to give squad orders, like to stick together, and are generally a bit more experienced on the field of battle.
- Your settings. You have fairly standard settings, which is always nice. No strange instant vehicle spawns, or other oddities.
- Your use of ALL DLC's. You are about 1 of 5 servers in the US that runs with all DLC's. Thank you for this.
Dislikes (aka things I thing you could do to make the server even better)
- Change the randomizer value in the Votemap plugin. I assume you all use procon. Try changing the votemap randomizer setting to make maps that have been played take longer to show up for vote.
- Votemap options. Give 6 options instead of 4. This gives people a much better chance to see maps they like and want to vote on.
The server tends to offer many of the same maps. Caspian Border, Operation Whiteout, Silk Road, Propaganda are always played, sometimes 2-3 times in a matter of 2 hours. Those maps play allll the time on the server and I have even seen some of your own members complain about it :)
I've noticed a lot of players complain that there aren't any maps they want to vote for. Changing the 2 above settings would really help give better map choices or provide more options of maps to pick from.
- Add a high ping kicker pleeeeasee!
I can handle playing the same maps, or even playing maps I dislike. What I can't handle is bad server performance due to 2-3 players with pings above 150. DICE has stated themselves that when 2-3 players above a ping of 150 are on the server, the entire server performance suffers. Im not sure who your GSP is, I ran my servers on both Fragnet and NFO. Always prefered NFO. If you are with NFO, ask those guys about what DICE has to say about high pingers. They have shown me the numbers on the CPU/Mem/Latency, server side, when there are high ping players. It is a drastic difference. I can tell when odd things start happening, that there are high pingers on the server. Ill look at the scoreboard and sure enough there will be some 200-400 pingers out there. You don't need them on your server. Get rid of those 2-3 people or you will get other regulars leaving the server. When this happens, my friends and I will generally leave to find another server, even though we would rather play on AOD.
Now, I know you have some members that are above 150 latency. The nice thing about the latency manager plugin is that you can add both individual players or entire clan tags to the whitelist. So players like Mahjack (ping of 250 or so) can still play. P.S. I am still going to get my tags back from you! :P
These two reasons above are the only reason myself and my friends will ever leave your server. From an admin perspective, tweaking the above settings would be a very minor impact on your server population, so I hope they are considered.
Anyway, I like your server enough to come on here and share my opinions. Take this however you want. From experience, most admins will read this and not even consider any of it, only to reply back with "you are wrong, because of this or that." Thats fine if thats the response, it's a typical expected admin response. However, I think in your case you'll likely have some good replies/feedback, because from one successful Admin to another, you obviously have a very good idea on how to run a successful server, which means you likely listen to players and are welcome to new ideas.
Thanks and I look forward to seeing you all on the Battlefield.
Edit: Made a small donation for your time. Thanks.