I get enough exercise just pushing my luck MahJack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon4 How to skip the wait for Windows 10. (Important Steps)

If you're still waiting to install Windows 10, this post should help you install it anytime without waiting. I've included some important steps. (Red colored = links).

Step One: Back Up Your PC

You should back up your system regardless if you’re doing an upgrade or a clean install. Yes, with a successful upgrade all user accounts and files in user-specific folders, like Documents and Pictures, should safely migrate across versions, and Windows settings like saved Wi-Fi connections and password will also make the jump in addition to all of your software and apps. But what happens if something goes wrong with your upgrade? Better safe than sorry.

IF YOU ARE UPGRADING:

- Clean out temporary files and other junk using the Disk Cleanup tool.
    - Install all available Windows Updates. (Updates can be anything from compatibility to security patches, but stability patches are important during upgrades).
    - Perform a virus sweep with your software of choice.
    - Run the Disk Defragmentation. (Do not defrag your SSDs!)
    - Update all hardware drivers to their latest versions (even audio drivers).
    If you carry over ancient drivers, you’re likely to encounter compatibility or stability issues, and may find that your system will revert to an inferior universal driver for that piece of hardware.

IF YOU'RE DOING A CLEAN INSTALL

- Take inventory of the applications and peripherals you use, as well as the hardware components you’ve installed. Go hunt for the installation and driver discs that came with what you bought, and gather them up in one place.
    - Make sure you have all the product key information for applications you’ve purchased or that came with your system.
    - You will need to deactivate some programs before you wipe. don’t forget to deauthorize access for any application that limits the number of computers that can use the program at one time, such as older versions of Adobe’s Creative Suite.

There are 2 ways of backup.

1) Create a system image which will save an exact copy of the drive you back up as a single file.
    2) Back up individual files and folders.

- To create a system image, you can use Windows 7, and 8/8.1’s built-in tools. In Windows 7, you will run Backup and Restore from within the Control Panel. For Windows 8/8.1, search for File History.
    - To back up individual files and folders, Windows 7 Backup and Restore tools will let you preserve anything on your system. For 8/8.1, File History only copies from select locations, so you either have to move other folders and files to a place like your desktop or opt for third-party software when doing a backup, (a cloud service like Dropbox, or a cloud backup service like CrashPlan or Carbonite)

Step Two: Download the Media Creation Tool

Now that you’re disaster-proof, head to "Microsoft’s Windows 10 download page" to grab the Media Creation Tool. Choose either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version to begin your download.

Pick the 64-bit option if you’re already using a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8/8.1, or if you aren’t concerned about running into issues with legacy hardware or software that you use. Opt for the 32-bit version if you’re already running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 and want to avoid creating problems for your existing setup.

Step Three: Run the Media Creation Tool

Open the Media Creation Tool, then select “Upgrade this PC now” to begin the upgrade process. (Even if you ultimately want to end up with a clean install, you still need to run the upgrade first to properly activate Windows 10. You’ll perform the clean install afterward.)

The Media Creation Tool will then download Windows 10. When it’s done, accept the EULA, and then choose what you want to keep when upgrading. If you want to keep everything as it is, select “Keep personal files and apps.”

After you’ve made your selection, the Media Creation Tool shows you a confirmation of the settings you’ve picked for upgrade; if everything looks right, click on Install.

Step Four: Enjoy (Or Not)

Once the upgrade is complete, you can verify that your copy of Windows 10 has been activated by heading to Control Panel > System. If it is, you’re all set to go.

If it turns out that you don’t like Windows 10, you can roll back to your previous operating system. To do so, go to Settings > Recovery, and then choose the middle option (e.g., “Go Back to Windows 8.1”). This option is only available for 30 days after you upgrade to Windows 10, so if you decide you hate it, make sure you don’t wait too long to switch back.

I must remind you, "most" of those who are facing issues on Windows 10 chose to upgrade instead of clean install, my advice is to go with Clean Install.

*Follow this guide at your own risk. This is copied from a few articles.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck MahJack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sorry if this post is awfully colored

Can I have your Tots SpitefulDirge's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the tips...I alway seem to forget the disk clean up prior

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I AOD Member AOD_ReaverVI's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Very nice!

One thing I have read for people with OEM Windows, such as name brand laptops or custom build to order computers, it is advised to do the upgrade first to register the system with Microsoft. Once its registered you should then clean install.
    Some people were having issues with doing a clean install up front and the OEM windows product key either not accepted or worn off the bottom.
    Make your recovery disks!!!

They shall be Dark of heart and strong of body, untainted by doubt and unsullied by self aggrandisement.
    They will be bright stars in the firmament of battle.
    Angels of Death whose shining wings bring swift annihilation to the enemies of man.