Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Samsung 840 EVO firmware updates?

Hi everyone, ive managed to upgrade my ssd to a 120 gb from a 60 gb, which is nice! has any one had to continually update the firmware on the 840 evo? I have read that they slow right down after a while, the updates cant permanently fix the issue. I only paid £29.99 for it on ebay and wondered if thats why it was so cheap? thanks

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Commodity View Post
    Hi everyone, ive managed to upgrade my ssd to a 120 gb from a 60 gb, which is nice! has any one had to continually update the firmware on the 840 evo? I have read that they slow right down after a while, the updates cant permanently fix the issue. I only paid £29.99 for it on ebay and wondered if thats why it was so cheap? thanks
    You only payed $32 For a 120GB SAMSUNG 840 EVO, It might have been used or regurbished; Maybe why its so cheap, always buy hardware new or guarantee that its functional. All SSD's slow down as their NAND Cells degrade from R/W Operations, and I read that 840 EVO's have a bit of a problem with Flash Cell Management, SAMSUNG had supposively fixed it, but a bit people still report having issues.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    You only payed $32 For a 120GB SAMSUNG 840 EVO, It might have been used or regurbished; Maybe why its so cheap, always buy hardware new or guarantee that its functional. All SSD's slow down as their NAND Cells degrade from R/W Operations, and I read that 840 EVO's have a bit of a problem with Flash Cell Management, SAMSUNG had supposively fixed it, but a bit people still report having issues.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes it was advertised as used but still within the manufacturers warranty. i must have read something similar. can't complain at the price, better than an old hdd im using currently. just wondered if it was a total pain to keep updating if someone else had one. kind of misses the point of having an ssd if it is.

Can I have your Tots CptRustyNutz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You haven't been de-fragging it have you? Make sure that is turned off.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CptRustyNutz View Post
    You haven't been de-fragging it have you? Make sure that is turned off.
    ^^ Good point, Dont turn on Automatic-Defrag within Windows for any SSD's. They have their own built in garbage collection, it will wear out the Flash Memory Cells.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hi

Ive been running the SSD without a problem. Super fast and was already updated to the latest firmware. Got very lucky I guess.

Ive turned off the auto defrag. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for replies!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Commodity View Post
    Hi

Ive been running the SSD without a problem. Super fast and was already updated to the latest firmware. Got very lucky I guess.

Ive turned off the auto defrag. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for replies!
    Thats good, Like I said, they(SSD's) only slow down over a long(depends on how many R/W operations your doing daily/weekly/etc) period of time when the Flash Memory cells wear down from Read/Write Operations-