If you can't find the enemy, they're behind you. Silkmonger's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default What am I supposed to do with a Do217?

At the moment, I'm flying the J1 version. It's a night fighter. It's cammo is set for winter nights. It shows up well in almost any map. (I haven't seen a night time fight in I-don't-know-how-long.)

If I climb with it, I have to side-climb or die. If I do side-climb, the bombers are all dead by the time I get to their alt. Ground attacking isn't that useful, as the guns aren't set up for popping either tanks or pillboxes.

Spading this turkey is really getting to be a pain!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Defbond's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

if your playing AB use it as a backup plane and stick to attacking bombers or if that's a problem, low flying attackers. In RB it's a excellent bomber hunter, nothing really packs quite as big a punch at that BR, I'm sure you can find a few bombers to pounce on every few games, even if you are slow getting alt, hang around the bomb targets or the front line and wait for attackers to show up. Another option would be to find planes chasing your teammates and dive on them, this is probably where the majority of your kills will come from, hang around the swarm, at a higher alt, when you see a target, make an escape plan, then dive in and spray as many 20mm's as possible, you have a bunch to spare so go nuts with deflection shots, then use your extra speed to clear the area, and repeat. Where the Do-217 really shines is when you get the bomber versions. They are OP as heck in mixed RB battles, able to carry 4x1,000kg bombs almost guaranteeing you a kill if it lands within 100m of the tank, it's very maneuverable, almost impossible to break wings in a turn and accelerates very well. In RB Air battles, the Do-217's speed can get it to and from its target safely especially considering it's high dive speed.

If you ain't makin' waves, you ain't kickin' hard enough! BoomBoomStick's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

dump it as fast as you can and start flying the 109`s and the FW`s again

A few roos loose in the top paddock... Doggs133's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm in agreeance with Defbond in this. I love my Do's. Not many planes will go H2H with you cos you have awesome firepower up front. I use mine for BnZ; line up a furball and fly through it going for as many deflection shots as you can. The one thing you DON"T want to do is turn close to the fighters, you'll lose all your speed and your Do will magically transform into a Catalina (big and slow with a huge target on it).
    I tend to climb to around 2000m before starting a shallow dive to build up max speed before weaving through a firefight. I also love terrain-following flying in the Do, if someone gets on your tail, throttle down to 0 and stick out your flaps while continuing your weave. your speed will fall off and the person will fly straight into those awesome front guns of yours.