Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Mystery is the i7 4790k still relevant enough?

When I finally get my rig back, (i moved from PA to VA) I want to finally upgrade it from the FX-6300 to at least a 4790k, but I don't know if I should invest in a newer chip, let alone which newer chip to get. The chip I get is going to determine which motherboard I get, which might end up determining whether or not i need new ram

halp pls

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue FlintBeastwood's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

of course its still relevant, thats a very good chip, i was able to get my buddies build i did for him at 4.5 stable. Thats the DDR3 chipset so it wont depend on the ram. if you have 1333 or 1600 thats the base for DDR3 without OCing it.

Im still rocking my 8320 at 4.8 the 6300 is a good chip as well. Head over to hardware swap on reddit and sell your current stuff when you upgrade.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Jayson201 View Post
    When I finally get my rig back, (i moved from PA to VA) I want to finally upgrade it from the FX-6300 to at least a 4790k, but I don't know if I should invest in a newer chip, let alone which newer chip to get. The chip I get is going to determine which motherboard I get, which might end up determining whether or not i need new ram

halp pls
    Absolutely, The new Intel Skylake Processor's only have about a 10% Increase in IPC(Instructions Per Clock); The only downside to the i7-4790k is that it runs on the H97/Z97 Chipset(s) which dont have native DDR4 Support and a maximum of 20/24 PCIe Lanes which means that in theory a Graphics card operating at x16 speeds and a single M.2 or SATA-Express SSD will start to saturate the PCIe bus; Where as skylake has up to 20+16(20 On the Chipset, 16 on the CPU)[36] PCIe lanes for alot more flexibility with PCIe Based storage combined with Graphics cards and multiple x1/x4 Expansion cards; I find the M.2 RAID support pretty wicked

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If by the time I gather the money for the upgrade (shouldnt be too long) There isn't a more recent chip in the same price range, it's definitely gonna be my option. I've got big plans for my rig, im just so indecisive. Thanks guys!

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Jayson201 View Post
    If by the time I gather the money for the upgrade (shouldnt be too long) There isn't a more recent chip in the same price range, it's definitely gonna be my option. I've got big plans for my rig, im just so indecisive. Thanks guys!
    Intel Broadwell("Skylake") Processors and the H170/Z170 Chipset(s) have already been released; Their a little more expensive than any Z97/H97 based setup but they are more than worth it; Its what im going with in my build in November-

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I posted this shot in another thread in this subforum. Here is a fps/$ analysis from techreport: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	value-gaming.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	18816

They have a really good writeup and comparison for anybody considering skylake over the z97/h97 setups. http://techreport.com/review/28751/i...or-reviewed/14

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If your getting an i7 look for motherboards that its compatible with that can handle DDR4