If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sargent Horse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Colored screen of death

Hey guys, I am currently running a stock ASUS with an i5 4460 and an R7, but every so often my screen goes into an array of pixelated colors almost like kicking a n64 cartridge while you are playing a game. I am upgrading some things later this year (will link when I get home) so it doesn't matter too much, but I was wondering what might cause this. Now let it be said that I have hit GPU Temps of 55-58 C° before while under load so I am thinking I might have been melting my GPU a bit :) I use speed fan now so it isn't as bad.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Im guessing it your graphics driver, check if it needs an update, if your running a tower it wouldnt hurt to dust it out with some compressed air.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The compressed air didn't work and now this becoming a constant issue. I would love some help with this, maybe how to update my drivers?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Search for updates for your graphics card drivers. Your GPU temps are in the healthy range.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD_OddJob001's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Another thing to try is DVI vs HDMI or vice-versa. Might be able to help pinpoint what functions inside the display drivers are having issues. Any chance you can swap cables for a few hours/days and see if you get the same results?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_OddJob001 View Post
    Another thing to try is DVI vs HDMI or vice-versa. Might be able to help pinpoint what functions inside the display drivers are having issues. Any chance you can swap cables for a few hours/days and see if you get the same results?
    I run HDMI right now and I can try, but as of recent, when the screen appears my audio now completely cuts out, didn't use to before.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am planning to get a new case and a 970 so I hope that will help.

Ditch the shampoo, demand the real poo! Neogreenyew's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default RE: Color Issue

I had this happen to me on my laptop a while back. I had bigger issues with my laptop that may have caused this however I would suggest both updating your graphics card drivers (and not using the newest drivers immediately unless they fix a major issue) and updating your basic chipset drivers. I'd also reseat your graphics cars.

Keep in mind, a technician's best friend for this kind of issue is Google. Also if someone is asking to see a 500 page error report then don't perform any fixes they suggest. That said if you can pinpoint the exact time that you have this happen then go into your windows Event Viewer, then to 'Windows Logs' and select the 'System' logs. In there, click 'Filter Current Log...' and select the 'Critical, Warning' and 'Error' check boxes. Then look for an error from the time that you had this issue and go from there. Event Viewer does help with this kind of issue sometimes.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Neogreenyew View Post
    I had this happen to me on my laptop a while back. I had bigger issues with my laptop that may have caused this however I would suggest both updating your graphics card drivers (and not using the newest drivers immediately unless they fix a major issue) and updating your basic chipset drivers. I'd also reseat your graphics cars.

Keep in mind, a technician's best friend for this kind of issue is Google. Also if someone is asking to see a 500 page error report then don't perform any fixes they suggest. That said if you can pinpoint the exact time that you have this happen then go into your windows Event Viewer, then to 'Windows Logs' and select the 'System' logs. In there, click 'Filter Current Log...' and select the 'Critical, Warning' and 'Error' check boxes. Then look for an error from the time that you had this issue and go from there. Event Viewer does help with this kind of issue sometimes.
    Roger, will do. I will have to do that when I get my PC set up in cali (be there for the weekend)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sargent Horse View Post
    Hey guys, I am currently running a stock ASUS with an i5 4460 and an R7, but every so often my screen goes into an array of pixelated colors almost like kicking a n64 cartridge while you are playing a game. I am upgrading some things later this year (will link when I get home) so it doesn't matter too much, but I was wondering what might cause this. Now let it be said that I have hit GPU Temps of 55-58 C° before while under load so I am thinking I might have been melting my GPU a bit :) I use speed fan now so it isn't as bad.
    I had the same problem with the same series of cards, including the R9 series. My guess was a VRAM issue, but a restart usually fixed it. Probably is a driver issue, not sure. Your temps are NOOOT a problem whatsoever. 55-58 is perfect, many people let their shit fly into the 70s

If we can't help, try talking to some of the guys at Bleeping Computer. Plenty of information there.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Jayson201 View Post
    I had the same problem with the same series of cards, including the R9 series. My guess was a VRAM issue, but a restart usually fixed it. Probably is a driver issue, not sure. Your temps are NOOOT a problem whatsoever. 55-58 is perfect, many people let their shit fly into the 70s

If we can't help, try talking to some of the guys at Bleeping Computer. Plenty of information there.
    I try to keep my Temps below 50 C and yeah, a hard restart fixes the issue every time, damn Radeon cards... Can't wait for my ASUS 970.

Fluffy

Does your computer have on bored video if so try it and see what happens. You can also try another pci-x slot. Also when this all started did you recently upgrade anything on your system.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Have not upgraded anything recently, the overwhelming response is that it is a VRAM or driver issue with how crappy the R7 is. Thanks for all the help everyone

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I know this is late and a little random but it is always worth running a quick memtest, can give detailed reason but on phone so it's awkward.