Fluffy

Default Creating mods for games

With fallout 4 comeing out soon i was wondering how hard is it to learn to creat mods for a game i wish to do the fallout series since i like the games. Can anyone point me in the right direction on learing how to do this. Thank you for your time

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm a modder (search for RedBag on Oblivion Nexus, also releasing a huge Skyrim mod in a week or so), and all i do is use the main modding program provided by Bethesda. It was Construction Set for Oblivion, Creation Kit for Skyrim, or GECK for Fallout. My advice would be to get familiar with the main program first, because you can do alot with it. You can put any existing object in the game, create new NPCs, tinker with weather presets, ... basically almost anything. Program is comprised of 4 elements; a menu bar, where you load your mod and choose among a plethora of tools - an Object Window, where you will select from all existing objects and values in the game - Cell View, where you will select and create new cells and worldspace (when you interact with a door and get in a loading screen in game, that's when you switch cells) - and lastly, Render Window, where you will see in 3D what the game world looks like and where you manually manipulate with objects.

If you want to create new objects, you will need to learn programs like Blender (free), or 3D Max (free for students). You'll need to learn how to model and how to apply textures. You'll also need to learn how to use NifSkope, that's the program that tells the models which texture they need to use the way game will understand, and contains a bunch of other data (like lightining and shaders).

So it depends on what do you want to create. There are plenty of tutorials, even video, and if you stick to just the main program, it's easy. You can also use resources other modders provide in order to save the time learning the modelling programs.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sargent Horse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Or you can just wait for RedBag to make some mods :D