Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! nonfic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Dagon Engine 4.0

As some of you may or may not know, Gaijin is working on a new engine, which will have better graphics/rendering capabilities (and hopefully better physics, god those "invisible rocks" are annoying). They are calling in it Dagon Engine 4.0. Supposedly, it should be implemented in the 1.53 patch.

Two main things with this new engine are Physically Based Rendering and integration of NVIDIA GameWorks. Well, what do they mean?

Physically Based Rendering:
    "The Physically Based Rendering (PBR) technology is based on the same principles and laws of physics by which light moves around in our world." -Gaijin

What PBR does is, basically, changing the in-game lighting system and upgrading it to a new level. According to Gaijin, in-game lighting is more close to being like real now. The wooden box on your tank should look different from the metal surface of the tank. Metal parts will be more shiny and you will feel that the wooden box is more opaque, because in real life that is how it is.

There is a DevBlog topic on this if you want to read more, which has a lot of scientific stuff and some comparison pictures.
    Physically based rendering – Dagor Engine 4.0 in War Thunder – DevBlog

NVIDIA GameWorks:
    NVIDIA's part on this has to do with the new destructible walls and water physics. There aren't a lot of information about the destructible walls but everyone's know that Gaijin is doing something, looks like they will implement it with the NVIDIA GameWorks. As they say: wall fragments, ruins, large structures and entire buildings will react to gun fire, planes, etc. so you can destroy the building your enemy is using as cover. This leads to some gameplay changes, players will not be able to use one building as cover and sit there for the entire match for example.

Will be all buildings destructible, will they totally demolish, will they leave debris on the ground? Well, with the capabilities of the engine I don't think they will but we shall see when the patch arrives.

Here is a cool video about destructible enviroment from an old DevBlog post.

The other thing is water physics. With the NVIDIA GameWorks' WaveWorks all the seas in War Thunder will look more realistic. There will be a lot of foam, waves will feel more dynamic and real, moving in water will look like you are actually in water rather than some blue-ish looking thing that slows you down as you go.

They screwed the matchmaking system but at least we got an graphical update, so yay, maybe...

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Avist's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

pretty sweet but I think alot of people wont really see it. Either they don't have a pc that can handle it or they turn the graphics down so much that it removes all the nice things to see better for easy kills. Especially for ground force.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Avist View Post
    pretty sweet but I think alot of people wont really see it. Either they don't have a pc that can handle it or they turn the graphics down so much that it removes all the nice things to see better for easy kills. Especially for ground force.
    When I showed the update to my friend he told me that the NVIDIA things will probably only apply to those who has the latest graphics cards and I also I didn't factor the turning the graphics down so probably you are right.

Still though, for those with high-end computers game will look even better!

~HaKuNa MaTaTa~ AOD Member AOD_Sworn Assassin's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I would give anything to run on maxed out graphics lol omg!! i can run movie graphics in replay and get 20fps sometimes :) if I'm lucky
    ~ HaKuNa MaTaTa ~
    ~~ AOD4LiFe ~~ (R.I.P.) MOH:AA division
    ~~~ Roll Tide Roll ~~~ Alabama Crimson Tide ~~~

If you ain't makin' waves, you ain't kickin' hard enough! BoomBoomStick's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Looks great ..very great but its all done by NVidia wil it run smoothly on a AMD card aswell ??

Keep honking. I'm reloading TheRealDon's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BoomBoomStick View Post
    Looks great ..very great but its all done by NVidia wil it run smoothly on a AMD card aswell ??
    That there is what the sorta dick move by them is, of it was made with Nvidia gameworks, AMD cards won't gain any upgrade and may actually suffer in terms of performance. I can look up a few examples but there's a lot of people who have shown how bad running an AMD card for a game using Nvidia gameworks can be.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Craigep17's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

i run movie settings(not bragging here, but i do get a nice 220 fps on planes and 150 on tanks
    When you fail, fail over and over again until you succeed

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_TheRealDon View Post
    That there is what the sorta dick move by them is, of it was made with Nvidia gameworks, AMD cards won't gain any upgrade and may actually suffer in terms of performance. I can look up a few examples but there's a lot of people who have shown how bad running an AMD card for a game using Nvidia gameworks can be.
    The thing is though I don't think AMD is trying to reach out to game developers and work with them or do stuff that helps them. Like, does even AMD have something that Gaijin could use to develop the things they did with NVIDIA GameWorks? I've never heard of something like that. In my eyes NVIDIA is like the guy who tries to help everyone by doing something they can use while AMD is like sitting in the corner working on his own. Maybe it's NVIDIA's strategy to stay in the bussiness but it gives them the image that they care for gamers.

I'm not saying AMD is bad though, I personally own a laptop with AMD GPU and I quite like it.