Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_crucified's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default Help with new build

Just put together my new rig. Got everything connected went to power it up and nothing. When I push the power button I hear a clicking sound like something is trying to start, case fan turns about a half inch and stops that's it. Tried isolating the problem. Remounting the processor removing all but one stick of ram, removing video card, reconnecting all connectors. I have tried starting it with the power button on my mobo but still nothing. I'm wondering if I got a bunk mobo or PSU maybe? The power lights on my mobo and gpu are on but none of the other LEDs on the mobo are lighting up
    Here's what I got
    Asus gtx 970 oc edition
    Thermaltake 750w PSU
    Asus Z170-a mobo
    2x8 gig corsair ddr 4 ram
    I7 6700 processor
    Any help appreciated

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sounds like PSU issue, do you have a known good you can switch out & try?

As you suspect it may also be mobo, but the test for that is rule out everything else. I have never had a chip die on me so do not know what the symptoms of a dead cpu are.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_crucified's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I switched it out with my old one. Though I think it died on me which prompted this new build. Had the same results. I tried swapping in my old mobo to the same results. It's looking more and more like a PSU problem. Though I'm tempted to just take the whole thing in and let them deal with it I'm getting very annoyed

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Can you acquire a decent sized piece of cardboard?

If so see if you can run the system outside of the case.

This is a good way to rule out case issues (e.g., a slightly warped tray will cause issues with pretty much any multi-layer PCB).

Also, do you have a multimeter (or better yet, an oscilloscope powered through an isolation transformer?)

If so, then see if you can measure the voltage coming from the power supply.

Have the power supply connected to nothing but a single case fan

Then measure the voltage on both the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails

Then on the 24 pin connector, short out the green and black wire (pins 15 and 16) using a paperclip

Then with your multimeter or oscilloscope (single shot capture), look at the the voltages from when it powers up.

Is the 12V rail doing above 12.6V or dropping below 11.4V?
    Is the 5V rail 5.3V or higher or dropping below4.75V?
    Is the 3.3V rail hitting 3.47V or dropping below 3.12V?

Power supplies have built in over voltage and under voltage protection where a few ms of time spent of out of tolerance trigger an emergency shut down.

The motherboards will also do this if voltages are out of tolerance and the power supply fails to first shut off.

Other than that, if reusing a power supply, make sure that there is no dust in the 12V power connector leading to the motherboard, high resistance there will cause the protection circuitry to kick in (this is to stop the old issues of melted power connectors).

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I'm taking in the power supply and mobo to my local pc store they are going to run the tests as I do not have the tools to do so. They also offer a one week free no hassle replacement on any faulty parts. hopefully it's just something simple like the PSU if not I'm just going to give them the whole case and shell out some dough. I've done builds before and never had any issues. This is the first time I've ever got it done and not have it work right away😔

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the tips though

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Got it going. It was a rookie mistake on my part. I failed to remove the old 6 pin cable for my dvd drive when I swapped power supplies. So I had the old cable plugged into my new PSU. Lesson learned. It fried my dvd drive which cost me $20 but could have been much worse