Thread: PC conf to buy?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue LoneSpirit's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Holyshit PC conf to buy?

Trying to figure out what to buy, my budget is kinda pretty much limited to 300-350 Euros...

I wanted to throw a coin, but before that I ask about some opinions, maybe there's some smart people here :D

So I found these 2 configurations that suit me and my needs for gaming ( Mainly RTS games, WoW and War thunder)

1. AMD A10-6700, ASRock FM2A78m pro3+, 2x4 gb DDR3 1600mhz, HD 7870 2 GB, 2 TB HDD, 500W Gold 80+ PSU (295 Euros)

2. Intel Core i5 3330, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V, 1x8 gb DDR3 1600mhz, GTX 960 2GB Phantom edition, 640 GB WD 32MB HDD, 500W PSU (270 Euros)

Any advice is welcome.
    EDIT: Not interested in OC, never done it, and not planing to

Gonna buy one of these tomorrow,
    I'm now 4 months without a PC and I cant take it anymore, I miss it more than my GF :D

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Looking at benchmarks the intel/gtx looks better, also after years of being an AMD guy even I must admit that now intel & nvidia seem to have the edge in parts.

the i5 3330 chip is more powerful than the a10 6700 and the gtx 960 is better than the hd 7870

The smaller HDD on the intel option may be an issue in the long run, but putting new HDD's in is easy as pie. The only thing I am not sure of is if only 1 stick of ram will have any difference in performance (normally you get pair ram these days). But I would wager that difference is insignificant compared to the differences between the i5 & the a10 or GPU's.

Also the intel is a little cheaper

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Definitely go with the Intel build, better CPU and GPU performance to start with.
    The motherboard is also much better (more expandability).

It will do a decent job with a wide range of modern games, and when you save up some more, you can buy a second 8GB stick of RAM, and also transfer any other old hard drives that yo have laying around into the new PC.

You have a number of SATA ports, so be sure to stuff any spare 3.5 inch and 2.5 inch laptop hard drives that you are not currently using.

If you ever upgrade the CPU to a K series, then understand that all of your overclocking will be done at stock voltages, or probably a slight voltage boost if you get some thermal epoxy and attach some heatsinks to the VRMs.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Dunno, I talked to the guy that sells the AMD A10-6700, he told me, hes gonna give me a 27" Monitor Benq 144hz full HD gratis if I buy his PC, current price 295 Euros with DHL post.

The other one that sells the Intel, is kinda 133 km away from my location and doesn't want to send it with the post, so need to drive there and back, but sells his PC for 270 Euros, but I still need to get a Monitor with the configuration else I'm gonna play shit and it simply doesn't fit into my budget. Theres no monitors for 30 Euros that are good :D

So it all got me thinking about passing the offers and waiting for another month or two and get a proper PC that will last me the next 5-6 years like a Core i7 and GTX 980 or so.
    Dunno really what to do, to get some crap that will be a stopgap solution or risk insanity and wait another 1-2 months but get a nice PC

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_LoneSpirit View Post
    Dunno, I talked to the guy that sells the AMD A10-6700, he told me, hes gonna give me a 27" Monitor Benq 144hz full HD gratis if I buy his PC, current price 295 Euros with DHL post.

The other one that sells the Intel, is kinda 133 km away from my location and doesn't want to send it with the post, so need to drive there and back, but sells his PC for 270 Euros, but I still need to get a Monitor with the configuration else I'm gonna play shit and it simply doesn't fit into my budget. Theres no monitors for 30 Euros that are good :D

So it all got me thinking about passing the offers and waiting for another month or two and get a proper PC that will last me the next 5-6 years like a Core i7 and GTX 980 or so.
    Dunno really what to do, to get some crap that will be a stopgap solution or risk insanity and wait another 1-2 months but get a nice PC
    If you can wait do so & get a proper build. Cutting corners to save some cash now & getting a sub par build will ALWAYS leave you out of pocket. You can spend 300 euros now & get an "ok"-ish pc. You can wait a few months and get a up to date pc for 600 (not sure if it is slightly more). The ok-ish pc will last a year, maybe more. The up to date will last 3-4. So it is more cost effective to buy a good pc later than an ok one now.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Interesting

Well, shit I've been busy these few weeks, going to work and using any available free time to earn some cash

Now the hard work payed off, bought a nice gaming rig, should last me a few years or so.
    The components are:

AMD FX 9590 with Corsair Water cooling
    ASRock 990FX Extreme6
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    2TB storage 1x1 HDD
    2 way SLI GTX 580
    1000 Watt Enermax Revolution87+ Modula 80+ Gold

Everything is used, but in good condition

Went a little bit cheap on the GPU's since they were a gift from a friend and got them for free, saved me a lot of trouble.
    Runs WT at around 120 fps average.

Pretty interesting how one can earn money here in Germany in the most of stupid of ways.
    I cleaned windows, collected some shit called pfand pflaschen, taken out dogs for a shit, repaired PC's (mainly formating C), stopped smoking, bought stuff from the net for cheap and resold it for a bit higher prices depending on the demand. (Bought car parts and resold them)

But most important of it, for the first time in my life I had fun working, cant explain the feeling.

Anyway, I now need to get a mic and some headphones, cant wait to turn the machine on and play the whole day long :D

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've been looking at used parts recently and if you know what youre getting into, you could probably save a good bit of money on used parts. I bought my GTX 970 used, got it roughly 70 below retail. Not the price i wanted to spend but still 70$ saved :)

Also, I think you should go 4th generation i5, similar price point with better performance.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yup, why buy new stuff when the used ones are as good as new ones. But gotta keep an eye out for scammers, they are everywhere, especially here in the "Western World".

I'm done with intel. Love this AMD CPU, uses a bit more power but the performance is the same 5-10 fps up or down... Overclocked last night, 5.1 ghz easy, love it
    These benchmarks that can be seen everywhere on the net are wrong, just a hyped out scam ran by the ones that pay for marketing.