(If this is in the wrong section, please move it.)

I know none of you will know this man, and this may seem useless in some sort of way. But I thought it’d be nice to share this with you all anyways. A fellow co-worker died yesterday after a loading dock plate fell on him, some say he died on impact, others say he was still alive while it was on top of him. Dock plates weigh almost up to 1000 lbs, and the plate held no resistance when it fell. He was crushed instantly.

The spotter on his shift found him and called for help. From his account there was blood everywhere. There’s still stains outside the dock door. Several others tried helping him out, but couldn’t do it by hand. Eventually they used the forklifts to raise the plate up, but by then it was too late. He was pronounced dead soon after.

The spotter who found him and several others were found crying after he was sent away, rightfully so.

I knew him well enough for his death to have a personal effect on me. I hold a lot of regret, because the last time we spoke, we didn’t quite see eye to eye, and I never got the chance to speak to him again, as I was moved to another shift. The man didn’t bother anyone, he just did his job and made small talk here and there. He was a nice man. And I wish I had the chance to talk to him again…a fellow White Sox fan. Not many where I work.

He was planning to retire January…

Thanks for reading this.

Rest in piece, Paul.

I'm sorry man.