Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Tetsuo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Debate on 2560x1440p or 3560x1440p!!!

Yup thats right 1080p is now what 720p was a few years ago so time to upgrade. Looking at 2560x1440p 144hz but the ultra wide 3440x1440p 60hz is really looking deceiving considering most of the panels are currently 60-40% off and are normally $1k a pop.
    (5ms or lower response time)
    Thought of going 4k but still most systems now a day even maxed with top of the line gear can not run it at 60fps constant. And 1440p looks like the suite spot to go to. Planning to run it off a 980ti so no problems there on gpu horse power. looking at these.
    Also any suggested monitors.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824025211
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Both deals look amazing. Consider LG's "inner" bezel won't be as good for blackness as a regular bezel. It's also more shiny plastic and doesn't have as many ergonomic options, although you have vesa mount. If money and GPU aren't a problem, i'd still recommend ultrawide, because it's truly stunning.

Pez. Derping where no man has derped before... ukpezzzz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I made this choice recently too and decided to go with 1440 1ms 144hz over 4k. From what I could tell, there isn't really much of a jump (not enough to justify the price anyway) from 1080p to 4k. Yes it looks better, but you need a REALLY high performance PC run things at 4k and at a decent frame rate. I went for a higher refresh rate and response time to get higher FPS in games. Although you wont notice any huge changes, it reduces blur and sharpens movement.
    You need more than 60hz for this though. Even if your game runs at 150 FPS, with a 60hz monitor your only seeing 60fps. The refresh rate is the number of times your monitor updates the frame a second. So a 60hz monitor can only refresh 60 frames in a second, hence why anything above 60fps is useless. However if you get 144hz, you can have 120 FPS and your screen will show 120 frames in a second because it is fast enough to do so.
    Response time (ms) is basically the monitors ping. 1 or 2 ms is good for a gaming monitor. I hear any slower than that isn't as nice for gaming.

4k just has more pixels. And there's not really a 4k 144hz 1ms monitor out there that I have found. It would probably be really expensive if there was.

TLDR:

1440 | 120-144hz | 1-2ms - Fast, sharp decent resolution.
    4k - Slow but really pretty. Good for movies and pretty single player games. Known for high PC requirements.

For me, I didn't want to risk 4k. Thats my thoughts. Choice is up to you!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ukpezzzz View Post
    Response time (ms) is basically the monitors ping. 1 or 2 ms is good for a gaming monitor. I hear any slower than that isn't as nice for gaming.
    Don't get hung up on rated response times. Total lag of the monitor is pixel response + signal processing, so total lag of the LG 34UM95 is actually 24ms, and considering one frame at 60hz is 16ms, that's about 1 and a half frames of total lag. Which is fine even for shooters, if you don't play them very competetively. First ask yourself two questions: are you playing shooters and are you playing competitevly? If you answered yes to both questions, check out reviews on sites like TFT central, Prad.de, or youtube reviews, and look for montors that are considered "acceptible for hardcore gaming" or "delay free". Sometimes more colour critical monitors with average rated response times are actually great for fast paced gaming.

I have 1440p 60hz that's conisdered delay free, and also has pixel response (overdrive) options, low medium and high. When set on low delay, the picture is more clear when i move around. I set that when i play FPS, other times i have it on high delay. Sometimes i forget to set on low delay and see no difference on how i perform.

4k on same diplay size will give you (probably unnecessary) amount of sharpness, but 3560x1440 34" will give you noticable screen real estate. Also 1-2ms monitors are TN, which have significantly more colour shift.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Tetsuo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you for the replies :) I am actually planning to wait for next gen graphics cards since 980ti and titan x are very close to running 4k 60 fps on almost every game.
    Since next gen gpu's are about 6 months away.
    I plan to go 4k since the eye candy it can offer is unreal for the sharpness.
    Since planning to go broadwell-E (Coming first Quarter of 2016) and soon next gen gpu's.