I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Rixxan's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Windows Help, please.

OK, So I'm rather embarrassed to post this here but I need some honest help really fast.
    Over the summer I ordered and built my PC, and it has served me well until this point. Until recently. I've put up with it until now, but since it has been functioning, the SSHD, a Seagate Desktop ST1000DX001 model, has never shut down, and the system freezes on the shutdown screen, with all drives and systems still powered on, and no response from the keyboard or mouse, nor any other commands except to force shut down by holding down the power button. This hasn't been worth my worry, so I just use the reset button on the front of my case. Until I went to windows update, and realized that my PC has been FAILING to update. With the PC frozen on the shutdown screen, I have been unable to update anything since the November Third Megaupdate from Microsoft. That has not installed nor has anything else I've tried to do. All drivers are up to date, and I've scoured the internet over and over again to try and find other issues similar. I'd like to avoid reinstalling windows, as the key I used to install seven and then upgrade is no longer valid, it's reached it's maximum number of uses, as I've used it before for my older systems that are now dead (yay old PCs), and I'd really like to avoid buying a new copy of windows. No, I didn't pirate the license, It's actually mine and is actually from Microsoft. Any other questions and comments you give I will answer to the best of my abilities, and I am truly despirate for assistance, I would like this fixed before the December update comes out. I am currently on windows 10 build 1510, trying to go to 1511. What I have tried: Installing normally reattempting the install restarting the computer using multiple methods using the restart button on my case after the install freezes letting it run for 48 hours to try and work it's way through windows update troubleshooter *always claims that it fixed something unplugging all cables, peripherals, and devices from the pc when attempting the update *except mouse or monitors crying google bing yahoo repeat all steps above. PC PLAN as of Now: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rixxan/saved/CTFypg minus half the RAM and the SSD *hoping to get those soon The OS is also not where I got it from, I used an old windows 7 pro key and upgraded. I got the key from Microsoft. Thank you all for your time.
    So tried using the SFC /Scannow command and the DISM commands. Got the update to work, it went through several reboots in the process, and got the update to 87% complete.... then failed (computer locked up, unresponsive, two hours later no change, tried the reset button, but it then reverted all changes and went back to it's failed state.
    I really need some help.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative NuNu's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you are able to come on ts3 im willing to assist and offer some solutions, you can find me in the project cars division, ill be online for the next 5 hours.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Unfortunately I can't go online today, however monday I will be available to talk with people about it.
    Also, I have tried slowboot and fastboot options, no change with them.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative NuNu's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Its ok, we will trouble shoot and figure this out tomorrow, ill be online at 3pm est

Don't find fault, find a remedy. -Henry Ford AOD Member AOD_Silencer77's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Floater
    Status
    On Leave

Thanks NuNu, sounds like you have this well in hand and great that you are willing to help.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Don't see you on, And I have to go soon. I also prob won't be on for teamspeak any time this week. If anyone has any ideas that'd be great.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sounds like an issue with one of the updates, my thoughts would be there's a corrupted update thats effecting the rest of your updates. I'm having a similar issue with a surface tablet not activating nor able to do updates in bulk (one update is killing the entire process).

Is your pc always refusing to shut down?, even when there's no updates to complete? - I would try and wipe out the que for updates by deleting the windows update cache which you can search up if you'd like to carry this out on your own time. Its not very hard.

Once the cache is deleted I would then change the settings for windows update to download but not install until you wish to do so. I would probably do this before you delete your windows update cache.

If you can boot now then just do one update at a time until you figure out which update is causing the issue (sounds painful I know, but working with computers all day long and doing 400+ updates on each pc I configure I can tell you this is the best method I have discovered so far). My colleague taught me this and a few other IT friends I have also do the same.

If you still can't shut down there's something with windows not terminating properly. Try closing out one process at a time and reboot to see which process is the issue (again painful, I know but its best to pinpoint the exact cause).

*Note: reading through your initial post I'm unsure what exactly the issue was, you started talking about rebooting your pc and windows updates failing. Later saying your installing windows 10? Which could be a separate issue. So if your trouble is the updates then what I've posted should help or at least narrow down the problem even further.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

First off, thank you. Will try soon.
    In answer to note: I have been unable to update windows because my pc will NEVER shut down, always hangs (except one time in a bazillion when it worked somewhat right, but it's only happened once.) The Installing Windows 10 is the November Third update from system version 1510 to 1511. And no, it never shuts down right, even when there is no windows update update.

I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A few things:
    Boot into Safe Mode and see if it happens then.
    Run memtest to see how your RAM is.
    Do you have any wireless adaptors? Looking around, those can cause shutdown to hang.

You may have to reinstall Windows since you've killed it during updates. A corrupt update can really screw things up.

Also this: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=w7itproperf

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Wireless adapters are always removed two minutes before turning off PC.
    Memtest scheduled
    And no, it always recovers from the reset and "reverts changes", plus all diagnostics show no issues with windows.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OK so it was pissing me off and I didn't have the patience to wait for it or to do anything with it, so I field stripped it, took everything out, and then put it back together. Removed a CD Drive that I have used only a few times and took out an old PCI wlan card that I had thrown in, but didn't need right now. Going to try the install once more and if that doesn't work do the clear-cache. Memtest found nothing wrong.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OK So removing the WLAN card might have done it, was able to get it through a complete shutdown sequence and then boot it up, attempting the upgrade now.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Holic View Post
    If you still can't shut down there's something with windows not terminating properly. Try closing out one process at a time and reboot to see which process is the issue (again painful, I know but its best to pinpoint the exact cause).
    You can still do this with the card in to figure out which process is hanging. Just close out a single process then try and restart with the wireless card in, eventually you will narrow it down to the exact process.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, taking out the card allowed it to do several reboot cycles and then allowed it to successfully complete the update, so I'm thinking that the issues are resolved. I'll worry about the wifi capabilities when I have to, but for now it works.