Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Ak_Lance's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Sluggish System (don't know why)

I wanted to hit you guys up for your opinions before I took it to someone for diagnosis. My system is sluggish at times and I have no earthly idea why. It seems to have started over the last 6 months (system is almost 3 years old), mainly after moving from Alaska to the lower 48. Here is what happens:

When I get on the internet: All search engs almost freeze up when I first open them (good connection to the internet) but eventually open. Programs take forever to load up. Even when I "right" click to look at properties it takes forever for that menu to pop up. I don't do any "surfing" so I doubt I am getting any spy ware/malware. Have a good antivirus. Really only use the computer for my games (WoW, BF4, and Battle front).

System specs:
    WIN 10 Home
    16 Gig RAM
    Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.60 GHz 3.80 GHz
    64 bit
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    2 TB HD (1.54 free) / SSD with 21.7GB free of 119 GB (all my games on this one)

Anyone have any thoughts? Need more system info? I know it's kind of a vague look at things but was hoping someone may have some thoughts on what could be the issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What does the inside of the box look like? :)

Could be heat. Keep it clean of dust and such internally? Sometimes dust will "cake up" around fans and heatsinks and cause things to run sluggish and then eventually crash.

Specs sound pretty decent and can't imagine the performance being from that, unless there's just something like a thermal issue or a rooted malware / virus that's not getting picked up or the like.

You ever run Malwarebytes just to be sure? Check out CCleaner as well (free also). I would defrag the HDD and "optimize" (trim) the SSD just for good measure. And also, maybe just scan both for errors (same screen where you'd select optimize).

Perhaps something to give a go and see if you get some positive results?

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Ak_Lance's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Certainly a great jumping off point, I'll see what I can do. Thank for the help!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue iGaunt's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    What does the inside of the box look like? :)

Could be heat. Keep it clean of dust and such internally? Sometimes dust will "cake up" around fans and heatsinks and cause things to run sluggish and then eventually crash.

Specs sound pretty decent and can't imagine the performance being from that, unless there's just something like a thermal issue or a rooted malware / virus that's not getting picked up or the like.

You ever run Malwarebytes just to be sure? Check out CCleaner as well (free also). I would defrag the HDD and "optimize" (trim) the SSD just for good measure. And also, maybe just scan both for errors (same screen where you'd select optimize).

Perhaps something to give a go and see if you get some positive results?
    I'm new here... and work IT so this would be the first boards I visit...

I always run CCleaner and CleanUp! (www.stevengould.org), running both is best because one gets what the other cannot. Also while in CCleaner make sure in the start up section you don't have anything running you don't need for System and each browser. Some of those extensions can kill ya.

Other than that just PM me if you still have issues, I'm more than happy to help. :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Download HWMonitor and double check that you aren't overheating anywhere mainly your processor.
    You could also have a memory leak.