Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default i3 4170 orrr fx8350

Okay, so I'm currently running an FX 8350 and I don't have much money to be upgrading to intel.
    But I had this 1150 motherboard laying around waiting for me to build onto it as a to-sell item, and got the i3 4170 for it.
    That being said I've been considering switching over to intel and just selling my old amd parts to get even better components afterwards.
    (Sabertooth and FX 8350 mobo combo on ebay should go well enough) The board is a mini itx board and i like the idea of a small build, did one for my brother in law and i like the form factor.

I'm just a low budgeted man who appreciates more than his own opinion.
    Thoughts?

I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you're looking to upgrade on a budget, consider the i3-6100. It is LGA 1151, so you would need a new motherboard as well, but you can get a DDR3 mobo and reuse your old RAM. You could also go with a DDR4 mobo, but you would need new RAM (DDR3 and DDR4 aren't cross-compatible, so you have to choose).

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cyrihs View Post
    If you're looking to upgrade on a budget, consider the i3-6100. It is LGA 1151, so you would need a new motherboard as well, but you can get a DDR3 mobo and reuse your old RAM. You could also go with a DDR4 mobo, but you would need new RAM (DDR3 and DDR4 aren't cross-compatible, so you have to choose).
    I would do this. Try to get a Z170A Motherboard so you can later upgrade to a K series i5 or i7.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

the FX 8350 is a beast of a processor. I would stick with that one. I was actually considering upgrading from my FX 6300 to a FX 8350, plus with an aftermarket cooler you can easily overclock that thing to 4.7 ghz. way higher if you go water cooled.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mouselad View Post
    the FX 8350 is a beast of a processor. I would stick with that one. I was actually considering upgrading from my FX 6300 to a FX 8350, plus with an aftermarket cooler you can easily overclock that thing to 4.7 ghz. way higher if you go water cooled.
    The main problem with all of the AMD Processors currently is, that they have really bad Single Core Processing Power. They do great on Multi-Core applications, but on Single Core stuff, they are not great.

Here's a comparison of the 2. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...vs-AMD-FX-8350 The i3 does have Hyperthreading, but that doesn't factor into gaming at all. Gaming requires a strong Single Core Processing Power CPU, and Intel provides CPU's with strong Single Core Processing Power.

I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    The main problem with all of the AMD Processors currently is, that they have really bad Single Core Processing Power. They do great on Multi-Core applications, but on Single Core stuff, they are not great.
    Also power consumption. 54 Watts for Intel versus 125 Watts for AMD.

I still say the i3-6100 is the best bang for your buck.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So i've got the 4170 laying around and the G3258, and a Gigabyte GA-z87N-wifi motherboard. Im thinking of selling them all to help fund my upgraded build (definitely going skylake, thanks for the advice)
    I just wanna know, if i sold the 4170 with the motherboard on ebay, would i get a better price, or would i get a better price if i just sold everything separate?