Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Computer boot problem

Hello fellows,

I have quite the weird issue with my computer. I am by no means a tech expert or whatnot, but have searched quite a bit around the internet for information. Tried out a load of things, but didn't end up with a solution.

Let me start with the description of my issue. FYI: I have this issue since I installed Windows 10 (clean install).

Cold boot (I'll just refer to this as a cold boot)
    When I try to boot my computer (pressing the power button), My BIOS loads, followed by the windows 10 loading icon. Then my monitor goes off and back on within a second, followed by a black screen. When I move my mouse around, I don't see my cursor, when I press the Windowskey + L to swap monitors (or whatever keybind there is for it) it doesn't do anything. However, when I press CTRL+Shift+ESC, I can hear my Skype booting. But still no visuals on the monitor.

Rebooting (different ways of rebooting I have tried)
    (1) I have tried rebooting my computer by Windowskey -> up -> up -> enter -> up -> enter. That's basically navigating to the shutdown/restart option. My computer succesfully boots BIOS, followed by the Windows loading icon. Then the monitor goes off and back on within a second again, followed by a black screen. In short, the same as before.

(2) I have also tried rebooting my computer by holding the power button for 10 seconds, and then pressing it again to start up again. The following steps I have seen after this: BIOS, Windows 10 loading icon. Monitor goes off and back on within a second. But then the Windows 10 loading icon appears and everything boots as normal. After this, I can reboot the computer with method (1) as often as I wish to without issues.

Other things
    (1) I noticed that when I press the power switch on the backside of the casing to turn it off and on and try a cold boot, everything under the section 'Cold boot' will be repeated.

(2) I also noticed whenevery I play certain games (e.g. Dirty Bomb) and open a link in Teamspeak, within 20 seconds, my screen will freeze and the monitor shuts down and reboots. After that, it gives me the notification that it did not detect any activity and can't show anything. Using reboot method (2) fixes it again.

I hope someone here has an idea of what I could try to fix this.

Specs
    Here's a list of 'relevant' specs.

• 600 Watt PSU
    • Intel Core i5-3350P 3.10 GHz
    • MSI B75MA-E33
    • Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600
    • 500GB Sata III
    • AMD Radeon HD7790 1GB

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue CoffeeLoveStory's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not sure if it's exactly the same as your case (as the 3350P doesn't have onboard graphics), but my friend had a similar problem;

When he would boot his computer after the Win10 update, it would use his graphics card as the default graphics interface. But once it booted into Windows (after the Win10 logo), it would turn black, but the computer would still be on. For some reason, Win10 was defaulting his graphics interface to his onboard video, despite it not being connected to the monitor.

This might fix it for you, if you can do it;

I had to boot into Safe-Mode (which disables all except the default ones), and downgrade his computer back to Win7 through the System Restore option. After this, I made sure it booted up normally. Once it did, I uninstalled his Nvidia drivers and motherboard drivers as well. Rebooted to make sure everything was okay.

Then I re-upgraded to Win10. Once it was done, I re-installed his drivers while on Win10, rebooted, and everything seemed to work fine.

I'm not sure exactly why Windows was doing this, not sure if it'll help with your case at all.

A cat's the only cat who knows where it's at Sythandria's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you for this. I also suspected that it would have something to do with the drivers or something. But aren't all the drivers removed when you format your drive when you do a fresh install of windows? I did not use the upgrade function and have no longer the option to install windows 10 on this pc (no disk for that).

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue CoffeeLoveStory's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ah, didn't see the "clean install" part. Yeah when you do a clean install the drivers (along with whatever data on the drive) is removed (sort of not really). Upgrading though, keeps them intact (most of the time).

(Assuming) that you had no problems before the upgrade to Win10, I'm not sure what would exactly cause a problem like this with a clean install.

Perhaps try only booting up with 1 monitor plugged in? I've had some finicky problems like that happen before with a fresh install. Installed the drivers, plugged in the other monitor and it was good to go.

Can't really say more ATM, since I'm not sure what you have/haven't tried.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the respons :D.

I had no problems before I installed windows 10, thats correct.

I have tried to look around in BIOS to see if the graphics card was set as primary. And I checked it was. I'm also using only 1 monitor. I have installed different drivers to see if it was a compatibility malfunction. Also have installed Windows 10 multiple times, so I think the Windows 10 is not corrupt.

I hope this info helps a bit?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Are the Windows 10 re-installations you've been doing from the same source? (USB Drive/etc). If it's the same source, it's very slim but that .iso of Windows 10 might just be weirdin' out. If not, rule this out.

Re-read your original post to refresh my memory. Since it seems to not boot up normally, except under those certain circumstances (and then if you force the power off from the back, it repeats the issue), it could possibly also be a CMOS issue perhaps.
    (If you have any overclock settings, right them down on a piece of paper or something). If you don't know how to hard-reset your CMOS, do as follows;

1. Turn off the computer and remove the power cable
    2. Open the case and put it on it's side (don't have to, but it's much easier IMO)
    3. Look for a flat battery, that looks similar to the ones you'd commonly find in watches (only much larger)
    4. On one side of the housing for the battery, you'll notice there's (usually) a metal tab holding it in place
    5. Hold down the tab and remove the CMOS battery
    6. Wait around 5~10 seconds, and place it back in.
    7. Connect the power back, turn the computer on, and see if it'll boot without problems

I doubt this'll 100% fix it, but it's good to at least rule out that it's not a BIOS issue by doing this.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'll try it this weekend when I got some days off. Thanks for the quick response, I hope it helps :D

I'll let you know what happened.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Reflex7i's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Pop out your HD7790 and also take out all your RAM except for 1 DIMM stick and then try booting and see what happens. Also reset the BIOS to the default settings.

How is your storage controller set? AHCI? IDE? RAID?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I assume I can check my storage controller in BIOS?

Anyway, I forgot one thing to add in my OP.

Whenever Windows 10 has an update, the first cold boot after that update it boots up normally.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Volcom's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Based on what you've described this sounds purely like a software issue, not a hardware issue. To me it sounds like a buggy installation of Win10, and as much as re-installing can be a pain - it might be worth it in this case and save you the headaches later on.

To put your mind at ease - Do you happen to have any spare disks lying around? If so, install another clean version of Win10 on it. Plug it in as your boot disk (temporarily) and see if you have the same issues.

EDIT:

Get an export of your existing system event logs and post em here

Knee High to a Worms Ass FatalPinch75's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

sounds like a driver problem did you try updating your video card drivers?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

if you have more than one video port on the back of your video card try changing it

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

if you checked the video driver & it's not that it could be that the video card is over heating check that the fan on the video car is working & cooling properly
    you can use a free app to check if your video card is over heating it's called speedfan another good app is CPUID links below

FanSpeed http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    CPUID http://www.cpuid.com/

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

if it is over heating & the fan is working on your video card try blowing out the dust with compressed air but the best way would be to remove the cover on the video card & clean clean it that way
    but you might want a tech guy to do it for you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FatalPinch75_emblom.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	670.5 KB 
ID:	22372