Save the whales. Collect the whole set SKY_SAMURAI's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default ACTION! game play editor

Hello mates, I would like to start posting my game play and wanted to purchase editor "Action" on steam. Is there any members here that are familiar with the program and is willing to give a little crash course at there convenience to a noob.

Best regards

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Wundsalz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't know "Action", but the reviews on steam indicate that it's unreliable and resource hungry. What kind of editing do you want to do? Do you want to record stuff and upload it on youtube afterwards or do you want to stream your videos?
    I occasionally record videos with OBS which is free, easy to use and more efficient (as in it requires less resources) than some commercial software like fraps. I've heard there are also ways to add overlays to live OBS recording, though I've never informed myself any further about this. As it's an open source software, I also assume there will be modifications/plugins around to adjust/extend the software for more sophisticated needs.

For pure performance you could also use Nvidia Shadowplay. Again I've never used it myself, but I've heard good things about it. There's also Bandicam, Fraps and likely a couple of dozen more out there. As everyone who streams or broadcasts stuff on youtube had to put thought into what recording software to use, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of reviews and direct comparisons of different products out there, which would help you to make an informed decision on which software suits your requirements the best.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you Wundsalz, I would just like to upload game play with edit you know cut out the nonse of me getting shot down lol and maybe music to go with it. I do have Shadowplay with my nvidia never tried it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, in that case Shadowplay might actually be one of the best options for you. It's probably one of the least hardware hungry recording software. Use that + some editing software and you should be good to go. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about the latter, as my needs in that regard a very simplistic. I usually "edit" anything I upload with "Any Video Converter". However I only tell the program where to start and stop, what output video format I'ld like to have and how to compress it (my internet connection is crap and I rather upload ugly videos quickly than pretty ones over night). As it seems to want to do more sophisticated editing work (cutting, combining scenes, adding music etc), you'll have to search for a different program which gets the job done.

Can I have your Tots BryanB1996's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What operating system do you use? I know linux and Mac OS X have really good and free editing software. Windows movie maker sucks in my opinion. I have heard of a program called lightworks which I have heard it good as well.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue MorteDeAngelis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use Sony Movie Studio for all of my stuff. What little of it I do.

Its a cut-down Sony Vegas with some of the advanced features removed.
    Though for Recording I've always used Dxtory.

Shadow Play for me as always been hit or miss and I have have in-game sound different from the Mic / TS / Skype so if I want to record while people are shouting certain things that don't do best in a video I can always cut it out ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlj_ki5htZA

^ How I've set mine up

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you guys, I tried Shadowplay yesterday night to see how it works, and seem to be really easy. My next step is edit. Will try some of your suggestions. Truly appreciate the info.

Can I have your Tots thatguy115's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Another good editing soft-ware that is free is "Camtasia" you just drag what you want to go where. But be cautious when you install it because with any free program it wants to install a new taskbar and all the works. Hope I helped.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've given Shadowplay a shot myself yesterday. I kind of like it's "permanently record stuff and save the last 20m if needed" feature it has got. I almost never record my gameplay, but there have been many occasions where I I've wished I did so in hindsight ;)
    I consider to just let shadow-play run permanently in the background to catch these moments. Now I've got two questions for those who are able to answer them:
    1.) Does Shadowplay record the audio emitted by different programs as separate audio-lines? I don't want the broadcast of my awesomeness to be spoiled by the gibberish you spill into my speakers via TS.
    2.) Shadowplay temporarily stores the recordings on a drive. I currently use my SSD for this because I don't want to permanently hear my HDD while I play War Thunder and because I'm also concerned that my HDD wasn't able to handle the bit-rate of a high quality recording. Now I've heard the lifetime of SSDs heavily depends on how much they write. Hence I wonder whether I can expect my SSD to be ruined within a couple of months if I record videos for a couple of hours per day.