Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy AOD Member AOD_JuubinoRyuu's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Default I need a new Sarge protector!

I'm looking for a sarge protector that has a battery with enough power to remain on for me to safely shut down my gaming computer my max limit cost is $200.
    Life is the Emperors Currency Spend it Wisely

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i believe you were referring to a surge protector, but i really think you are meaning a Unprintable Power Supply (UPS), this is tricky to ship depending on your location because of the battery. Are you in the US?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_JuubinoRyuu View Post
    I'm looking for a sarge protector that has a battery with enough power to remain on for me to safely shut down my gaming computer my max limit cost is $200.
    I'll protect you for that price. No prob.

Seriously, we use these at work. You can get by with a smaller one though. Just don't plug everything into it. Just enough to be able to shut down the PC (Monitor, tower, and if your keyboard and mouse are in a powered hub, that too).

You should be able to get one at your local office supply store.

Rank
    Private
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Darkn3ss F4lls View Post
    i believe you were referring to a surge protector, but i really think you are meaning a Unprintable Power Supply (UPS), this is tricky to ship depending on your location because of the battery. Are you in the US?
    Yes I am in the US

"I'll protect you for that price. No prob. Seriously, we use these at work. You can get by with a smaller one though. Just don't plug everything into it. Just enough to be able to shut down the PC (Monitor, tower, and if your keyboard and mouse are in a powered hub, that too). You should be able to get one at your local office supply store."

I know that, I just don't know if they have enough power to keep a gaming computer on long enough to shut it down.
    Last edited by AOD_JuubinoRyuu; 03-25-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_McGovern View Post
    I'll protect you for that price. No prob.

Seriously, we use these at work. You can get by with a smaller one though. Just don't plug everything into it. Just enough to be able to shut down the PC (Monitor, tower, and if your keyboard and mouse are in a powered hub, that too).

You should be able to get one at your local office supply store.
    I have that exact model sitting under my desk right now. Unfortunately I get a replace battery message every now and then, happened since I got it...But I've never had it use the battery backup.

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_JuubinoRyuu View Post
    Yes I am in the US

"I'll protect you for that price. No prob. Seriously, we use these at work. You can get by with a smaller one though. Just don't plug everything into it. Just enough to be able to shut down the PC (Monitor, tower, and if your keyboard and mouse are in a powered hub, that too). You should be able to get one at your local office supply store."

I know that, I just don't know if they have enough power to keep a gaming computer on long enough to shut it down.
    They absolutely do. I'm running 2x 980 Ti with an overclocked processor and I cant draw more than 700W. The model McGovern linked is what I'm using and it actually tells you how many watts are being used. Wish it would give me a reading for amperage though...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Juubi,
    Calculate the max power you draw. The 1500 VA he sent you should work for all but the beefiest of computers - dual processors with 4 video cards, etc. I have a 1250VA that I use myself. My machine is on 24x7 unless I'm cleaning it.

But don't just stop with your pc, plug in your router, cable modem, any switch gear you have, monitor, pc, external drives, etc. Anything that is attached to the computer can fry it - USB enabled printers make great toast of PCs in a lightning storm.

All else fails, write down the Voltage and amps of everything you have there and I'll calculate it out, give you a 15% overhead and you'll be all set.

Rank
    Private
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Ah I see thanks you for the help you guys! ;)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

At first, I thought this was a thread for someone complaining about their division structure ;)

(I kid, I kid...)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_z404Error View Post
    Juubi,
    Calculate the max power you draw. The 1500 VA he sent you should work for all but the beefiest of computers - dual processors with 4 video cards, etc. I have a 1250VA that I use myself. My machine is on 24x7 unless I'm cleaning it.

But don't just stop with your pc, plug in your router, cable modem, any switch gear you have, monitor, pc, external drives, etc. Anything that is attached to the computer can fry it - USB enabled printers make great toast of PCs in a lightning storm.

All else fails, write down the Voltage and amps of everything you have there and I'll calculate it out, give you a 15% overhead and you'll be all set.
    The only thing I would add to this is whatever you buy, make sure it is built by APC.