Can I have your Tots army4life99's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Looking to upgrade graphics card

im currently running a 2gb ddr5 gtx 660 ti. been a great card for me but its not keeping up with newer games as well as i would like and i would like to get some input from techies on what would be a good upgrade for it in the 150-200 range.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am a big fan of nVidia cards. The GTX 950 is in your price range but I am not sure it would be much faster than what you have. The GTX 960 is a jump in performance but I wonder how long it will stay "relevant" with current games. At this point the GTX 970 seems to be the sweet spot but it is currently out of your price range.

If I were you, I would try to wait for the Pascal cards to announce and start shipping to see what the price drop is for the GTX 970 or 980 and then make a move.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can pick up a GTX960 for right around $200. I think that would be your best bet if you need something today. If not, I would wait for the pascal cards. The 960 replacement probably won't be available at launch though. It may be longer than you want to wait.

While I prefer Nvidia cards, If you went the ATI route, you would be looking at the R9 380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let the bodies hit the floor... Opokalipse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i'd wait a couple months for the new cards to come out. they are supposed to be designed for dx12 which older nvidia cards are not designed for very well. also, id go amd/ati, but most the members on here are nvidia fanboys (not to say nvidia isnt good lol). so, pick what you want :p you can easily google differences in performance, but dx12 games are starting to come out, so i'd consider that to

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The 900 series of nVIDIA cards fully support DirectX 12.

Hell, the 700 series supports DirectX 12.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ya, if 200 is all you got to spend, wait till you can afford a GTX 980; either by saving up and/or waiting for the new nvidia cards, which wont be out till 2017 thou, for price drops. Or just save up a little more so you can spend around 250 for a Radeon R9 390 or 390X.

Are any new Radeon cards coming out soon?

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_TekNicTerror View Post
    Ya, if 200 is all you got to spend, wait till you can afford a GTX 980; either by saving up and/or waiting for the new nvidia cards, which wont be out till 2017 thou, for price drops. Or just save up a little more so you can spend around 250 for a Radeon R9 390 or 390X.

Are any new Radeon cards coming out soon?
    Polaris is the new Radeon cards that are coming out Soon (TM). But, the new Pascal cards are hopefully going to get released Fall or Winter of 2016. And, depending on the price I'm gonna try and jump onto getting a mid-tier one. (1070 if that's what they are gonna call em.)