Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Thinking about buying a cpu cooler

Howdy folks,

I just had to put some money into my computer this week and after getting everything setup and running again my CPU now seems to be running hotter, by a lot. My AMD Fx-4300 hit 65 C earlier and I don't remember it ever going over 55.

I will be checking some BIOS settings and any other ideas are welcome, but I may need to consider buying at least some thermal paste and was thinking about this cooler:

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/...hyper-212-evo/

I do have the space in my case available for it and don't want to spend anymore money on that unless I just buy a new CPU (AM3+ as I am not going to upgrade the motherboard anytime soon).

My main question about the cooler is if anyone has any experience with it and could tell me if its easy to install or not? Having to take the motherboard out of the case is a frustration that I do not think I could tolerate. If it is not easy I would love a good recommendation for a cheap cooler.

Any advice on this situation would be very helpful.

Thank you,
    Barbarossa66

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Could just be the thermal paste has dried out. You could try reapplying some thermal paste if you have some. If not gram some of the non-conductive Thermal Grizzly Thermal Paste and try that first. You'll want some anyway for future use if you don't have some. If that doesn't fix it the 212 i a very good budget cooler.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Barbarossa66's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I found the container of thermal paste that I used for my build, so I cleaned up the CPU and heatsink and applied it. We'll see how it goes, but it seems to be idling about 10 C cooler already. We'll see how cool it runs under stress. I'd rather let it idle for at least 24 hours, but I haven't been able to play anything in the last week!

Edit: I just checked the fan speed to make sure it was still cranked and its idling, with max settings, 500 RPMs lower than yesterday.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you are going to get a new cooler, There's a few choices.

Coolermaster 212 Hyper Evo - 20 - 30 USD.

Cryorig H7 - ??? The price for this one has apparently dropped off the face of PCP.

Corsair H100/110 - 100 USD ish - If you are willing to go with Liquid Cooling, these are great options, and your thermals will drop like a rock. Great for Overclocking, and All In One Liquid Coolers are generally safe (and zero maininance!)

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Barbarossa66's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the advice Kaos. I am still considering buying one, but apparently I must've knocked some stuff around while doing my repairs and cleaning recently. Now that I have reapplied the thermal grease and cleaned the old stuff off I am running under stress at a nice 43-45 C.

My CPU is still my bottleneck though and I am really considering overclocking it. Whatever I end up buying will need to be something that I can at least hope to carry over to a future build, so I am still considering the 212 Hyper EVO seriously.

Thanks again for the advice guys,
    Barbarossa66

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Here's another vote for the 212 cooler with the caveat that it is rather tall and will not fit inside all cases. You may want to take some measurements before you decide on a cooler.

All the years to come I want you to remember the one man who beat you. Cropels's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd rather recomed you a Thermaltake CPU cooler.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Ni...maltake+NIC+C5

It's a great cooler, I have this one since 2014 and I never had a problem. Except for OC, my FX 6300 go over 35°C Loading and 20°C Idle, nothing special when you have your PC full of fans.
    Last edited by Cropels; 04-25-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Knee High to a Worms Ass The_Real_Taffer's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just another vote for the Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO. I'm running one on my machine, and it keeps things nice and cool.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

And another 212 hyper EVO fan, keeps my cpu temps below 40

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If your willing to invest. Get an aio "all in one" liquid cooler. A 120 would be sufficient for your CPU and a double would just be even cooler. You will never need to worry about temps. Plus you can move it to your next rig indefinitely.