Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My rig and BF4

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ew...so....may I ask...why on God's green Earth would anyone want to set the polling rate of a Razer mouse down to 125? ;)

Is that a known bug with AMD hardware or something?

I can't imagine having mine at anything other than 1000. Acceleration is at 0, however, and in-game sensitivity is extremely low as well (bad ju ju if high polling rate + high in-game sensitivity for any game).

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Ghztr_11's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    Ew...so....may I ask...why on God's green Earth would anyone want to set the polling rate of a Razer mouse down to 125? ;)

I can't imagine having mine at anything other than 1000. Acceleration is at 0, however, and in-game sensitivity is extremely low as well (bad ju ju if high polling rate + high in-game sensitivity for any game).
    haha! Well. Refresh rate of the mouse impact the refresh rate of the sreen ---> Demands more of the CPU and GPU.
    Lowering this will improve performance for slower systems. The negative side effect is that you end up with a ''non snappy game''

Thats at least what I think is the idea of lowering the polling rate. Tho I did not like having it at 125, 1000 is defo the best, but I can tell the difference ingame with 1000 versus 125, so I settle in the middle of 500. Improves even more, and not noticeable.
    My acceleration is at 0 as well, and only raw input.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Ghztr_11 View Post
    Aha! I think I know where you heading :P

Yes, my polling rate was 1000. Now I set it do 125, and I expect to see even more improvement in bf4 :P
    let me know if it helps. i tried it last night after i noticed my frame dips were back and the only thing i had installed was my mouse software and i read some games can cause frame loss if the polling rate is set high.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

because some games don't play well with high polling rates. i get major frame drops in witcher 3 if my polling rate is set to 1,000.. and smooth as butter if its set to 125 with no noticeable difference for mouse input lag. I would rather have smooth consistent gameplay. I tested it with bf4 after i noticed my framedips were back, and the only thing i had changed was reinstalling my mouse software. and it seems to have fixed it for me.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Ghztr_11 View Post
    Aha! I think I know where you heading :P

Yes, my polling rate was 1000. Now I set it do 125, and I expect to see even more improvement in bf4 :P
    Mouse polling rate and FPS have nothing to do with eachother, Id keep your Mouses polling rate at 1000Hz

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Mouse polling rate and FPS have nothing to do with eachother, Id keep your Mouses polling rate at 1000Hz
    They should not. correct. but sometimes they do.. though i am going to try to raise it to at least 500, because 125 is kinda low.

Source: tested it, and it was the only change i made.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mouselad View Post
    They should not. correct. but sometimes they do.. though i am going to try to raise it to at least 500, because 125 is kinda low.

Source: tested it, and it was the only change i made.
    Hmm, Interesting.

Sent from the OG-100X Mobile Satellite Communication Hub

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Hmm, Interesting.

Sent from the OG-100X Mobile Satellite Communication Hub
    I'ts a weird issue, and i'm sure it has something to do with the specific hardware combo, but it does sometimes happen. it definately fixed my witcher 3 issue i was having which was causing extreme frame loss down to 20-30 when mouse turning from 60 fps. also i didnt see any drops like that in bf4 and i was getting big drops in bf4 when mouse turning also... this guy had a similar issue on planetside 2. I mean it does make sense kinda. depending on the CPU. higher polling rate is gonna have more CPU usage. I don't think i'm good enough to really notice the input lag difference, and my k/d has gone up since i'm not stuttering down to 20 fps when aiming lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q9hzfs5V5c

check out this guys video also

125 hz vs 1000 hz about doubled his cpu usage percentage. that may be what causes it

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Actually, in doing a little digging, I found some things that make sense in regard to mouse polling rate Hz in conjunction with monitor refresh rate. The higher-end settings certainly have an impact and having a 1000hz mouse polling rate can chew up CPU cycles

While the mouse polling rate (the refresh rate just like that of how it works with the monitor refresh rate) may not directly impact FPS, if you're using a monitor that can't adequately keep up with what the polling rate is set to, it's only going to degrade the overall experience by that much more.

Your display still has to render frames that coordinate with your mouse movement, so if someone is using, say, a 1000hz mouse polling rate, having a display that can more accurately depict the 1ms response time that 1000hz polling rate translates to, is going to feel a lot better.

If would be like trying to change an in-game rendering uptick over 100% or using something like nVIDIA DSR. Sure, you can emulate settings that are beyond the native capabilities of the hardware, but that doesn't mean it's going to be enjoyable :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'ts a weird issue, and i'm sure it has something to do with the specific hardware combo, but it does sometimes happen. it definately fixed my witcher 3 issue i was having which was causing extreme frame loss down to 20-30 when mouse turning from 60 fps. also i didnt see any drops like that in bf4 and i was getting big drops in bf4 when mouse turning also... this guy had a similar issue on planetside 2. I mean it does make sense kinda. depending on the CPU. higher polling rate is gonna have more CPU usage. I don't think i'm good enough to really notice the input lag difference, and my k/d has gone up since i'm not stuttering down to 20 fps when aiming lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q9hzfs5V5c

check out this guys video also

125 hz vs 1000 hz about doubled his cpu usage percentage. that may be what causes it
    Heh, dang, beat me to it. I was just digging around with a bunch of pretty good links / videos.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

now im curious if it has to do with the response time on the monitor. i raised it to 500 hz which should be 4ms i think.. and my monitor has a 5ms response time and it seems to be smooth. tried 1000 again and frame stutters.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

now im curious if it has to do with the response time on the monitor. i raised it to 500 hz which should be 4ms i think.. and my monitor has a 5ms response time and it seems to be smooth. tried 1000 again and frame stutters.
    It's not only the marketed response time of the monitor (in this case, 5ms). Actual latency takes into account both the monitor's marketed response time (in this case, 5ms) and also factors in refresh rate.

A test on one of my monitors (165hz and 144hz, both IPS panels) with 4ms response time is going to act much differently than a monitor of 5ms at 60hz.

500hz polling = 2ms and 1000hz polling = 1ms

So I went back and looked at some of the earlier posts. Your main problem is sudden drops, right? Smooth at times, then bam....dip down massively?

You have both an SSD and an HDD, what the install like? OS on SSD and games on HDD? Or vice-versa?

Disclaimer: I work in the cloud / datacenter consulting industry and my career focus is around storage and data paths from end to end...so forgive me if any of this sounds super nerdy or just plain out there ;)

If you're running things in that sense where OS and games are on separate media types, and the fact that you're only running 4 GB RAM, the sudden dips would be representative of sudden paging or reading / writing to and from the drives.

When using faster media (like SSDs) and data access between each end is quicker, there's less reliance on RAM. However, sometimes, without enough RAM (in any type of environment) and a read / write request needs to take place from a drive, that data path will deviate and if it hits anything slower than the fastest watermark it's expecting, you experience sudden (and sometimes significant) latency spikes.

Some things to consider:

1) Is your SSD large enough for both the OS and BF4 to run as a test?
    2) Is the Windows swap / page file stored on the larger HDD vs. SSD? If so, and Windows needs to swap / page for any reason, if it has to hit the HDD for that and it could be causing the issue. Even if the OS and BF4 install is on the same SSD, if the swap / page file is on HDD, a bottleneck is introduced.
    3) If anyone tells you that "You never put something like a page file / swap file on an SSD because SSDs die after a certain number of writes"...punch them in the throat...because they're an idiot ;)
    4) That argument only lasted for about a year when SSDs were first introduced to the mainstream
    5) There are two schools of thought on the whole swap / page file debate as to if you even need to worry about it over 4 GB RAM. Either way, check it, and maybe even disable it completely as another test

Anyhow, not sure if you're still seeing any major issues (not sure if we're still addressing the OP here now or others) :)

I digress....

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

yea OS on SSD games on HDD. i had bf4 on my ssd at one point and same issue. I'm running 16 gigs of ram, and 5 gigs of vram. (970)
    my ssd is an older kingston v300 series. i actually have the page file disabled on my ssd and enabled on my HDD's. think i should reenable it?

I work in IT also. (network & system system adminstator at a bank)

But yea. at 500 polling rate seems to have fixed the issues. i guess some games don't like 1000 polling rate on my pc.
    Last edited by Mouselad; 06-19-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So the problem is back. Just like that, out of freakin nowhere -..-

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That sucks mate :(

Windows update, maybe? Or more specifically, a Windows update that may have replaced the installed version of something like a video card or component driver? I would say check add / remove programs and view windows updates for anything installed in the past few days that perhaps led to it coming back?

I can sell you my current rig after I complete my Phase II updates? ;)

(I kid, I kid...kinda) :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Windows update, maybe? Or more specifically, a Windows update that may have replaced the installed version of something like a video card or component driver? I would say check add / remove programs and view windows updates for anything installed in the past few days that perhaps led to it coming back?

Yeah idk what it is. But updates are so frequently now a day compared to before. And one update impact the other, and makes the Whole system unstable. So if you have a AMD CPU and GPU like, me were the GPU rely on software to function at it's best. It makes sense that there is allot of possible stuff that can F***K up the gaming experience.

But, I have tho realized that my PC is not an high end PC. So what can I expect? To compare it.
    MY Whole PC rig, With monitor included is bacisly Worth a GTX 1080 and some other small stuff.

I am now looking at buying a New PC. One that I KNOW can handle everything out there, and way beoynd it.

CPU: Intel core I7 6700 skylake,

PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E SOCKET-1151

GPU: ZOTAC Geforce GTX 1080 x 2

RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 32GB

SLI: EVGA PRO SLI Bridge HB (1 Slot Spacing)

Whats Your opinion on this rig? Is there something you would have changed to make it more powerfull?

I dont want any bottleneck on my NeXT rig. I want it to perform at its best, With all the Components as a Perfect match.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123