Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default My PC is giving off a weird vibe... Literally.

While changing one of my coolers i noticed that after 10sec of being plugged into a wall socket, my PC would vibrate whenever i touch it.
    It's a subtle vibration... as if it's magnetized.
    I have a full metal case. There is an internal aluminium case, the standard with all the parts and an external black hard metal case that can be unmounted.
    The black metal doesn't react but the inside of the case vibrates on touch.
    .... Wtf?
    I have a new Motherboard, new Cables and a new Power Box. So how... Why... Who...where....what?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Lol black metal...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

could be the fan in your new power supply being unbalanced though you'd likely hear that before feeling it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

nope... my PC is as silent as the night. You can slap a cape on it and call it Batman.
    Its not shaking or anything. and like i said it's a mild vibe only on the inside of the Case... like where the motherboard and Power Box are screwed on.

Can I have your Tots Ricardoy26's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Shaitlord View Post
    nope... my PC is as silent as the night. You can slap a cape on it and call it Batman.
    Its not shaking or anything. and like i said it's a mild vibe only on the inside of the Case... like where the motherboard and Power Box are screwed on.
    Might sound stupid, but did you check if any of the fans hits a cable by any chance? Or your sound does come only as vibration, try to put something below the case also depends on the surface mine is in wood, and i had to put 4 "legs" for the case so it wouldnt vibrate.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ok i just checked... it's not vibration... it's 100% an electric problem. How do i know this?
    PC is Off. Cable is out. Power box is Off. No vibration
    PC is Off. Cable is IN. Power box is ON. PC vibrates on touch.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If your PC is warranted, notify them of the issue, and i am 100% sure they will repair it, of course, that is if the PC is warranted. Mark my words friend, don't f*ck with electricity, 5A(Amperes = measurement unit for the strength of the electric current) is enough to cause severe tissue burns, and in prolonged period of time, anywhere from 5 to 7 seconds can cause death, and if your PSU is damaged be sure to plug the whole cable OUT of the PSU and bring it to qualified personnel.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What SqU4D3Nn said...electricity bites, literally. If you insist on trying to debug this yourself, the first thing I would do is unplug everything from the power supply and see if you get the same result. If not, plug in one thing at a time and check again. As soon as the "vibration" returns, you've found your problem.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Glorious Gibs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would definitely try to RMA the power supply/computer. The only thing I could possibly think of causing an issue like that is the fan. A decent way to test this would be to try running the computer by itself, then play a game or something and see if the vibration gets worse. Another thing you could do is get some O-rings that fit around the screws and see if the vibration gets better. It's not unusual to have to do that for case fans/PSUs, but the reason is typically because of audible rattling. The only other thing I can think of would be to check the fan to make sure there isn't a damaged/missing blade. That'll cause vibration, which will also need to be remedied with an RMA.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ok so far.... all tests failed meaning, it's either a fault with the electric cables inside the PC or the Power Box. Which is not surprising. This is an old Custom PC. The cables are like a spaghetti tornado. The power box has been replaced 5 times due to my odd home electricity.
    Basically my wall sockets have +220V -220V and no Ground. In winter they have 200V on +/-. The amount of times i wanted to sue the electric company is just... but you can't really win against a million $ company.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Impossible for you not to have Ground, otherwise the electricity would burn your house, Modern Electrical Grids have ground inside electrical plants, so you DO have a ground, only its in the plant.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Katacon's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Other things to maybe check...
    if you Torque your fan screws to tight you will get a noise/vibration. also check they are equally torqued.
    Make sure your airflow is exhaust one site and intake another, usually intake on front and exhaust on back, as neg pressure can cause this as well. (especially with duel layer case's)
    Check to see if you have a loose screw in your case, lol I have done this by mistake a few times and took a while to find it lodged under my psu.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

If you have an unstable electric circuits, I might suggest getting a uninterruptible power supply or UPS. THey are meant to give you a few mins to gracefully shut down a PC pc in the event of a power cut. In your case the batteries would provide a consistent output. I'd be concerned about damaging the batteries in them and I'd try to speak with someone who knows more about them than I do.

I'd do research for sure.

It's proberbly this:
    http://www.nanomotion.com/piezo-cera...ectric-effect/