Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Ak_Lance's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Should I upgrade?

Hey all, starting to get the bug again to upgrade some components on my PC and wondering how what I have now stacks up (especially with BF1 on the horizon). I am not looking for ultra settings but want to maintain smooth game play with games coming out in the near future:

Your thoughts on what I am running now?
    Reasonable upgrade(s) that wont break the bank? (Video card maybe?)

Intel i7-3820 @ 3.60
    Ram 16 GB
    64 Bit
    Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

United we stand, divided we fall Erwinson's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey Lance.
    I guess you are playing 1080p 60hz . If that is the case a non reference Radeon RX 480 should give you the best value for your money. It has around double the performance of the 660ti for 200-300$.

The rest of the system is fine.
    SSD if you dont have one already.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks Erwinson, I'll give it a look. Appreciate the advice very much!

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Another option would be to wait for the nVidia 1060. It's supposed to be faster than the RX 480 for the same cost.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would concur that a 1060 or RX 480. If you go the 480 route, I'd wait for some of the custom fan/heat sink models. The reference cooler is pretty bad from what I read on those.

If you have more to spend you could consider the GTX 1070. It runs about $450 and would likely last you a long time at 1080P

Your CPU and ran are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Should I upgrade?

Yes a better GPU would be a good hit to your system but stay with NVIDIA as your motherboard might not be compatible. (Depends if you have a prebuilt desktop and NVIDIA is usual a better GPU supplier) I don't know on your PSU, But they generally could be upgraded for better performance. Generally speaking, 100 Watts above what the total system needs is best giving that optimal performance. Maybe your CPU, it depends whether or not you are willing to spend a little more bucks for a better gaming experience.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do. J3ST3RKN1GHT's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would do a gtx 1060 or 1070

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you all for the input, gives me a lot to go off of.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would go with NVIDIA 1080 or 1070 but really don't want/need to put that much $ into a card, don't really know how much quality those would provide over the upcoming 1060 though. Is the 1060 going to be 6GB?

I am seeing a lot of talk about 4k gaming, that has to do with the res on monitors correct? Are there even cards out now that are affordable to handle that? (~ $500 or less)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ShadowCube View Post
    Yes a better GPU would be a good hit to your system but stay with NVIDIA as your motherboard might not be compatible.
    That is not true

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85-WNE_owyY

Battlefield 1 with the RX 480

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

RX480 with a custom cooler or a GTX1060 (speculated 10% faster stock) at near the same price range, however NVIDIA's 10 series cards prices have been wonky so I would venture to expect to pay a bit more but not discounting aftermarket 480 price increases. I expect high 200-sub 350 range for both with amd usually being a little cheaper. You can't really go wrong this time around it seems. 6 or 8GB won't matter on those cards any time soon especially at 1080p. Its a good time for an upgrade. I expect mass availability (or not gouged prices) for both brands by the end of august-mid september. Make sure you know the retail prices before you pick one it looks like both companies have slightly higher prices depending on vendor.

Your CPU will be great for a while as only intels second gen sandy bridge (2xxx) line is only just starting to show its age 5 years later.
    Meep Meep

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Qrow View Post
    RX480 with a custom cooler or a GTX1060 (speculated 10% faster stock) at near the same price range, however NVIDIA's 10 series cards prices have been wonky so I would venture to expect to pay a bit more but not discounting aftermarket 480 price increases. I expect high 200-sub 350 range for both with amd usually being a little cheaper. You can't really go wrong this time around it seems. 6 or 8GB won't matter on those cards any time soon especially at 1080p. Its a good time for an upgrade. I expect mass availability (or not gouged prices) for both brands by the end of august-mid september. Make sure you know the retail prices before you pick one it looks like both companies have slightly higher prices depending on vendor.

Your CPU will be great for a while as only intels second gen sandy bridge (2xxx) line is only just starting to show its age 5 years later.
    You are right about that there will be no difference between 6GB or 8GB VRAM at 1080p. Most games at 1080 will not use more than 4GB as long it is not some sort of heavily modded game with super large textures.
    Yeah, prices are ridiculous now. I'm still waiting when prices go to normal on ASUS ROG Strix 1080. According to all news NVIDIA still did not sort out supply and demand issue with TSMC (the chip supplier).