If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Tiger's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Any opinions on the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q?

There are a myriad of monitors all boasting to have great game play graphics. I cant decide. I have an Acer X223W with a 60hrz refresh. I can only do better going forward. I just don't want to break the bank going for an over hyped monitor when I can get a no frills monitor that will give me the same performance, but at a cheaper price. On the other hand, I don't want to buy a no name monitor that's only going to last as long as the warranty. The PG279Q is between $650 to $800 right now. That's pretty pricey, but is it worth it?

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I have its older brother the PG278Q got it second hand @ 400 perfect condition. The 279 has a IPS panel vs the 278's TN panel.

That being said the 278 has one of the best TN panels so the gap is much more narrow than with a lesser panel (competition/general). The Main difference between the two is the contrast ratio/color reproduction and viewing angle and response time.

We sit in front of the monitors so viewing angle isn't a huge deal.

The 278 has a 1ms response time vs the 279 5ms which is standard for an IPS panel which combined with the low input lag on both monitors makes it a moot point as it's too close to call.

Color reproduction really only matters for if you edit movies/photos and need the absolute visual color accuracy. (After some fiddling with mine I can't see any bad colors)

The 279 has 165hz vs the 144hz, speakers, etc. Its all preference and only really shows in the panels color (if you're into editing ) and in the price.

I love the 278 and don't think the 279 would be a bad choice either. If you can push those high framerates (you can chose between 60-max refresh touch of a button) I say go for either. If not don't worry about a high refresh monitor and just get a nice 27"

Video containing some of the above info / direct comparison. (The 278 after some fiddling doesn't look as off as this one)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79r5rxS276Y
    Meep Meep

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sweet. Thank you

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What do you think are the key points that you would consider when looking at monitors? Refresh is one. Viewing size is another. What do you think are others?

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Aesthetics, affordability, refresh rate, visual quality to your preferred standard, good reviews (with anything). What I like about these monitors is the very thin bezel. Also if you need rotation and height adjustment.
    Meep Meep