Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default [Guide] How to make Windows 10 more secure and run better

First, do not login to your computer with Microsoft Account. If you already did then disable Microsoft Account and create a Local Account.

Type "Privacy" in Search Windows.
    Click Privacy Settings.
    In General Tab set everything to Off.
    Click on Manage my Microsoft advertising and other personalization info and set everything to Off. (A browser will open up).
    In Location Tab, set everything to Off unless you are using one of those features.
    In Camera Tab set everything to Off.
    In Account Info set everything to Off.
    In Contacts set everything to Off.
    Calendar leave On.
    In Message Tab set everything to Off.
    In Radios set everything to Off.
    In Other Devices set everything to Off.
    Feedback & diagnostics set to Never for "Windows should ask for my feedback" and set Diagnostic and usage data to Basic.
    In Background apps set those apps that you don't use to Off.

Open Microsoft Edge and click on three dots on the top right corner and then click on Settings.
    Click on View Advanced Settings and set everything to Off except "Block Popo-Ups" and "Use Adobe Flash Player".

Press on your keyboard 'Windows + R' and type gpedit.msc and hit enter.
    In Local Group Policy Editor navigate to Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> One Drive
    On the right side double click on 'Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage' and set it to Enable and Apply. Do not close Local Group Policy Editor.
    In Local Group Policy Editor navigate to Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> All Settings and find 'Allow Telemetry' on the right side.
    Double click on 'Allow Telemetry' and set it to Disabled and Apply.

Press on your keyboard 'Windows + R' and type regedit and hit enter.
    In the Registry Editor navigate to Computer --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Windows --> CurrentVersion --> Policies --> DataCollection
    Then on the right side double click 'AllowTelemetry' and change value to 0 and then Ok to save.

In 'Search Windows' type command and right click on 'Command Prompt' and then 'Run As Administrator'.
    Go to root. (cd ..)
    Run the following commands:
    SC DELETE DIAGTRACK
    SC DELETE DMWAPPUSHSERVICE
    ECHO "" > C:\PROGRAMDATA\MICROSOFT\DIAGNOSIS\ETLLOGS\AUTOLOG GER\AUTOLOGGER-DIAGTRACK-LISTENER.ETL

In 'Search Windows' type Cortana
    Set everything to Off.
    Under 'Manage what Cortana knows about me in the cloud' clear all history if you were logged in with your Microsoft Account. Once again, Disable Microsoft Account if you are still logged in with it.

For better performance and to prevent memory leak in Windows disable NDU
    Open regedit
    Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\N du
    Modify "Start" Value to 4 to disable it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Could you explain what the NDU is for? I'd like to know a bit more about it before touching it in my registry.

Also, do you know of any terrible problems coming up from disabling superfetch? If I see my disk usage max out it's a 90% chance it's a steam update or superfetch.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Beavery1 View Post
    Could you explain what the NDU is for? I'd like to know a bit more about it before touching it in my registry.

Also, do you know of any terrible problems coming up from disabling superfetch? If I see my disk usage max out it's a 90% chance it's a steam update or superfetch.
    Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver (Ndu)
    http://servicedefaults.com/10/ndu/

It's useless and can cause memory leaks and memory problems. It was a big issue when Windows 8 came out and disabling was a solution for memory leak fixes.
    Things like this would happen to many users: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-cc6dd40da2ca

Why would you want to disable superfetch? It actually helps to load applications faster. If you have 99% disk usage then it must be something else causing it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Often times when I find myself waiting for my disk to stop writing for something I didn't tell it to, I believe it's caused by superfetch(Although it calms down after about 10-30 seconds). If I end the process in task manager my disk usage immediately goes back to normal. Until now I've only seen disabling superfetch mentioned as a possible fix to 100% disk usage issues. They didn't really mention what it did though, but judging from what you're saying it sounds better to keep it. :P

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Often times when I find myself waiting for my disk to stop writing for something I didn't tell it to, I believe it's caused by superfetch(Although it calms down after about 10-30 seconds). If I end the process in task manager my disk usage immediately goes back to normal. Until now I've only seen disabling superfetch mentioned as a possible fix to 100% disk usage issues. They didn't really mention what it did though, but judging from what you're saying it sounds better to keep it. :P
    Try checking your disk by running this command in your command prompt.
    chkdsk C: /f /r /x

this command will locate bad sectors and fix it.

Maybe you should consider to upgrade your main system drive with SSD in the nearest future. Your system will run much faster and smoother.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    Try checking your disk by running this command in your command prompt.
    chkdsk C: /f /r /x

this command will locate bad sectors and fix it.

Maybe you should consider to upgrade your main system drive with SSD in the nearest future. Your system will run much faster and smoother.
    Maybe one day, currently I only use a gaming laptop while I'm in college. A few years down the road I'll probably cave and build a nice computer though. Or can you add an SSD to a laptop pretty easily?

Also, it says I can't run chkdsk due to something being in use, so I told it to run for the next restart. I'm guessing it will do the same thing.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Maybe one day, currently I only use a gaming laptop while I'm in college. A few years down the road I'll probably cave and build a nice computer though. Or can you add an SSD to a laptop pretty easily?

Also, it says I can't run chkdsk due to something being in use, so I told it to run for the next restart. I'm guessing it will do the same thing.
    Yes you can install SSD very easily into laptop. Depends how easy you can get inside your laptop, tho. You can even clone your current OS installation so you don't have to install everything from scratch, as long as you have enough space on your SSD.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    Yes you can install SSD very easily into laptop. Depends how easy you can get inside your laptop, tho. You can even clone your current OS installation so you don't have to install everything from scratch, as long as you have enough space on your SSD.
    Hmm, maybe I'll look into it later on down the road then. Will have to ask on here when the time comes as I have no experience with computer parts. :P

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? PROx's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you're looking dir software, Acronis works well for me