Knee High to a Worms Ass 0Views's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Looking to upgrade my PC

First off let me say that a little over a year ago i bought this computer, my very first. Im running an AMD FX(tm)-6300 six-core processor 3.5 Ghz 16 GB Ram windows 10 64-bit OS. My video card is an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series. Video card seems really good but i really dont know much ab computer hardware since this is my first PC. Looking to try and run most games on ultra graphics, Battlefield, Battlefront, etc. Any help would be great. If you need more info just let me no.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_SilentbutdeadlyD View Post
    First off let me say that a little over a year ago i bought this computer, my very first. Im running an AMD FX(tm)-6300 six-core processor 3.5 Ghz 16 GB Ram windows 10 64-bit OS. My video card is an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series. Video card seems really good but i really dont know much ab computer hardware since this is my first PC. Looking to try and run most games on ultra graphics, Battlefield, Battlefront, etc. Any help would be great. If you need more info just let me no.
    You could upgrade CPU to FX-8350 and Graphics Card to RX 480 or if you have more budget then to GTX 1070 or GTX 1080

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? Chandler's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't think the processor upgrade would be necessary (Although an FX 8350 or 8320 would be nice, Or hell a 9590), But I definitely agree with ZedZedski, The 480 would be a great choice (But I'm not sure if AMD fixed the power draw issues yet), Just make sure that your PSU can handle the extra power draw from a newer graphics card. If you need any assistance with picking out a GPU or PSU, Feel free to message me, I'd be more than happy to help you

EDIT***

Also, If you're planning on playing games at max detail, Be sure to get a nice 1440p or 1080p monitor, You could get an IPS one (Great color and viewing angles, but slow response times) or a TN monitor (Awful color and viewing angles but fast response times) No sense in playing on high if your monitor is a potato :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Chandlerdylan100 View Post
    I don't think the processor upgrade would be necessary (Although an FX 8350 or 8320 would be nice, Or hell a 9590), But I definitely agree with ZedZedski, The 480 would be a great choice (But I'm not sure if AMD fixed the power draw issues yet), Just make sure that your PSU can handle the extra power draw from a newer graphics card. If you need any assistance with picking out a GPU or PSU, Feel free to message me, I'd be more than happy to help you

EDIT***

Also, If you're planning on playing games at max detail, Be sure to get a nice 1440p or 1080p monitor, You could get an IPS one (Great color and viewing angles, but slow response times) or a TN monitor (Awful color and viewing angles but fast response times) No sense in playing on high if your monitor is a potato :)
    FX 6300 may bottleneck with RX 480 or GTX 1070. So an upgrade is a must to get full potential out of those GPU's. FX6300 does already bottleneck with GTX 970. I get 30% more fps with my i5 6600k and GTX 970 than anybody else with FX 6300 and GTX 970. Checked a lot of video's on YouTube and made compare.

As for monitor. Nothing wrong with TN monitor colours if you have a good TN monitor. I have BenQ XL2411 144Hz and colours are superb on this monitor. Just make sure to set correct modes if you like more vibrant colours. Mine is set to Picture mode and everything looks fantastic.
    I was on dilemma when I was looking for a new monitor. Couldn't decide to go with IPS or TN because I already had one IPS 60Hz monitor but then decided to give a try for a 144Hz monitor and a I have to tell that I will never go back to anything that is below 120Hz.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Glorious Gibs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What's your budget? That will largely dictate what would be the best route to take.

Knee High to a Worms Ass 0Views's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not looking to upgrade right away so i can save for the hardware. My Power Supply is pushing 710 i believe, and im using a screen at 1080 already

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As the others have stated, I'd recommend you time your processor/graphics card upgrades together within budget, or close enough together. With a 700w power supply, you can take most of the modern graphics cards on-board.
    One problem with upgrades is making sure you're not giving up something to end up with another problem. Putting all your budget into GPU versus a balance of CPU/GPU would possibly cause issues. Likewise, as someone stated, check your monitor with what you're planning on doing. A good monitor will last many years and is well worth the investment.
    My personal two cents would be get out of AMD cards on the higher end because of the power draw issues. I'd move on to an 83xx series processor if it's within your budget with a GTX 9xx series video card or possibly a 1070 if you can find it within your budget/availability. This will prevent the necessity for upgrade down the road. A lot of sites are offering sales on GTX 970's, as well as the 83xx series processors right now.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Cele's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I recommend looking up graphics cards on eBay. You can find a nice 970 for only $200 which is a screaming deal imo