Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Ak_Lance's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New NVIDIA GTX 1070 not working, can someone help?

So I was using a GTX 660ti and thought I would splurge, raided the penny jar and picked up a GTX 1070. When I plugged it up....nothing. Here are the deets on my system:

Intel i7-3820 @ 3.60
    Ram 16 GB
    64 Bit
    PCU 800W
    Using PCIE x16 slot on motherboard (Tried all slots actually)

It's getting power and I get the system intro screen (Basically the computer system advertisement upon boot up) but after that nothing. I don't even hear the computer processing like it's starting up. Works great when I plug up the 660ti but nothing with the 1070. Any thoughts guys? Am I missing a setting?

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not to insult your intelligence but the 8 pin power is plugged in right?

Who is the manufacturer? If it works with a known good part and is plugged in, id contact them. Should be plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah, got the 8 pin plugged in. I have 6 pin x2, 2 pin x1, and an 8 pin. It gets power with both the 8 pin and a 6+2.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Ak_Lance View Post
    So I was using a GTX 660ti and thought I would splurge, raided the penny jar and picked up a GTX 1070. When I plugged it up....nothing. Here are the deets on my system:

Intel i7-3820 @ 3.60
    Ram 16 GB
    64 Bit
    PCU 800W
    Using PCIE x16 slot on motherboard (Tried all slots actually)

It's getting power and I get the system intro screen (Basically the computer system advertisement upon boot up) but after that nothing. I don't even hear the computer processing like it's starting up. Works great when I plug up the 660ti but nothing with the 1070. Any thoughts guys? Am I missing a setting?
    Is the monitor connected to the GPU or to Motherboard? Try uninstalling drivers and then plug GTX 1070. Also, try going into BIOS and setting BIOS to default settings.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, tried all that and nothing. :( Kept kicking me out of the bios too. After dong more research I think it's the mother board to be honest, there haven't been any new updates for it since 2013. I also tried putting in the gtx 970 and nothing. Tried some older cards and they worked just fine. I am thinking my quest for a 1070 may just lead to a whole new rig.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, tried all that and nothing. :( Kept kicking me out of the bios too. After dong more research I think it's the mother board to be honest, there haven't been any new updates for it since 2013. I also tried putting in the gtx 970 and nothing. Tried some older cards and they worked just fine. I am thinking my quest for a 1070 may just lead to a whole new rig.
    What is your motherboard Model number?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    What is your motherboard Model number?
    Made by Gigabyte
    GA-X79-UP4

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I was also curious if maybe the processor might be a bit too old. (Intel i7-3820 @ 3.60) Then again my knowledge on what should and won't work is very very limited.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I was also curious if maybe the processor might be a bit too old. (Intel i7-3820 @ 3.60) Then again my knowledge on what should and won't work is very very limited.
    No, the CPU and Motherboard should be decent. You said that it even did not work for GTX 970?
    Here is what I found about your motherboard and might be an issue in Voltage and Power delivery Settings:

Users can now enjoy a fully interactive 3D utility that facilitates adjustment of the 3 dimensions that control the power delivery to your CPU and Memory: Voltage, Phase and Frequency. These parameters are crucial to how the digital PWM supplies power to critical areas of the motherboard and can help users quickly obtain the highest, most stable overclock.
    3D Power: Voltage Control
    Voltage parameters can be modified within 3D Power, including load line calibration the of CPU. By adjusting load line calibration, Vdrooping can be avoided, maintaining optimal voltages levels despite increasing current levels. OVP (over voltage protection) can also be adjusted to change default protection range of the CPU, memory controller, VTT and system memory.
    3D Power: Phase Control
    Users can calibrate OCP (Over Current Protection) for the CPU, integrated memory controller and system memory power levels. This allows the Phase control to deliver even more power to the system when needed.
    3D Power: Frequency Control
    GIGABYTE's digital PWM allows for adjustable frequency control via the International Rectifier (IR3567) PWM controller. 3D Power frequency control allows users to change the PWM controller frequency so that the CPU VRM can adjust power delivery speeds more quickly. Users can also adjust the PWM spectrum or maximum and minimum overall frequencies.

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Made by Gigabyte
    GA-X79-UP4
    I had that motherboard along with an i7 3820. I still have that same i7, only in an ASUS Sabertooth X79 now. Something was never right about that Gigabyte motherboard for me. Since I replaced it (2 years ago I think?) with the Sabertooth, it's been smooth sailing. I hear I'm missing out on PCIE 3.0, but only a few FPS. Maybe 2017 will be the year of the guts of this PC are replaced...

Anyway, I didn't trust that board and ditched it. Before you do anything expensive, try that 1070 in a more recent system just to confirm it's working.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

LoL, thank you for the research Zed. You lost me though right after "Here's what I found on your mother board" LoL I can handle the most critical of ICU patients but most of what you put is Greek to me. Shoot man, I don't even know how to over clock, I've read up on it but afraid I'm gonna mess things up.

I've tried several different cards and the only two that don't work are the 970 and 1070. Buddy of mine plugged the 1070 into his rig and it worked great. Both were getting power but it's like the mother board didn't even know they were there.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

LoL, thank you for the research Zed. You lost me though right after "Here's what I found on your mother board" LoL I can handle the most critical of ICU patients but most of what you put is Greek to me. Shoot man, I don't even know how to over clock, I've read up on it but afraid I'm gonna mess things up.

I've tried several different cards and the only two that don't work are the 970 and 1070. Buddy of mine plugged the 1070 into his rig and it worked great. Both were getting power but it's like the mother board didn't even know they were there.
    I never had that motherboard but maybe it has some power switch modes. Check your manual if it has any switches that change power levels on the board. Also, did you try to Reset BIOS to Default Settings?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OP, I'm not sure what all lengths you're willing to go to - however, when searching your motherboard + the 970 I've found multiple people online with that specific combination and no problem, so I don't suspect it being a motherboard issue.

You mention no BIOS updates since 2013 - however this page shows one from 2014: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=4288#bios

May be irrelevant.

I'd start by removing all non essential components. Hard drives, all PCIe cards, etc. Remove all but 1 stick of RAM. Reset the BIOS using the BIOS reset jumper.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900x900px-LL-ba6902cb_cmos.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	24965
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1398373/g...#post_20135949

Now throw in the 970 or 1070 and give it a try. See if you can get into the BIOS. If you can, great! Now slowly add each part back into the mix. If you still can't, it may be worth it to contact Gigabyte or NVidia support.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Zikeji View Post
    OP, I'm not sure what all lengths you're willing to go to - however, when searching your motherboard + the 970 I've found multiple people online with that specific combination and no problem, so I don't suspect it being a motherboard issue.

You mention no BIOS updates since 2013 - however this page shows one from 2014: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=4288#bios

May be irrelevant.

I'd start by removing all non essential components. Hard drives, all PCIe cards, etc. Remove all but 1 stick of RAM. Reset the BIOS using the BIOS reset jumper.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900x900px-LL-ba6902cb_cmos.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	24965
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1398373/g...#post_20135949

Now throw in the 970 or 1070 and give it a try. See if you can get into the BIOS. If you can, great! Now slowly add each part back into the mix. If you still can't, it may be worth it to contact Gigabyte or NVidia support.
    Agree! And also it is worth a try to upgrade BIOS to the latest version F7, since it says it improves system compatibility.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah I saw that part as well about improving system compatibility, sliver of hope. Thank you guys for all your help, been reading up on some of your suggestions and going to give it a go today, wish me luck. Still have the 1070 and my buddy's 970 to try and get them to work.

Worst case scenario I actually learn something about fixing my own computer vs paying someone to do it for me.

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Theres your problem its a gigabyte, lol (jokes). Hope the update works if not try a different board if it's in the cards. You can keep the processor/ram as long as its the same platform and chipset, they should be really cheap by now so you might be able to pick up a high end one. I suggest MSI, ASUS. I've had no problems with either.
    Meep Meep

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Qrow View Post
    Theres your problem its a gigabyte, lol (jokes). Hope the update works if not try a different board if it's in the cards. You can keep the processor/ram as long as its the same platform and chipset, they should be really cheap by now so you might be able to pick up a high end one. I suggest MSI, ASUS. I've had no problems with either.
    Jokes or no jokes. I had Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 board and all I had was 6 month of headaches:
    1. Sound problems, which turned out to be a global problem as I opened a thread on Gigabyte forum and many people replied with same issue and Gigabyte did not give a damn to resolve this issue http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16850.0
    2. BIOS is horrible - Overclocking is unstable, Laggy Mouse and interface is garbage
    3. Buggy Utility Softwares - not always all works

All in all I replaced that board with ASUS Z170 Maximus Viii Hero and had no issues ever after. Moreover, build quality is just much better on ASUS boards.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Jokes or no jokes. I had Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 board and all I had was 6 month of headaches:
    1. Sound problems, which turned out to be a global problem as I opened a thread on Gigabyte forum and many people replied with same issue and Gigabyte did not give a damn to resolve this issue http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16850.0
    2. BIOS is horrible - Overclocking is unstable, Laggy Mouse and interface is garbage
    3. Buggy Utility Softwares - not always all works

All in all I replaced that board with ASUS Z170 Maximus Viii Hero and had no issues ever after. Moreover, build quality is just much better on ASUS boards.
    I have that very same motherboard! Please tell me you have an M.2 SSD installed! Their performance is absolutely insane.

In either case, I've had no issues with that motherboard either - except a weird one. When I plug my battery backup unit into my system (over USB) so I can monitor power usage and other metrics (like powerline fluxuation) it borks my network connectivity. Ethernet, PCI Express WiFi Card, two different USB WiFi adapters - all of them get severe connection issues. Makes online games unplayable because it adds about a 3 second packet lag randomly, my guess at least. Complete lagfest. Stumped the hell out of me, went to the "connect all the unecessary shit" method and once I plugged it back in and found the network issue back I was just QQ. I keep it unplugged now!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Zikeji View Post
    I have that very same motherboard! Please tell me you have an M.2 SSD installed! Their performance is absolutely insane.

In either case, I've had no issues with that motherboard either - except a weird one. When I plug my battery backup unit into my system (over USB) so I can monitor power usage and other metrics (like powerline fluxuation) it borks my network connectivity. Ethernet, PCI Express WiFi Card, two different USB WiFi adapters - all of them get severe connection issues. Makes online games unplayable because it adds about a 3 second packet lag randomly, my guess at least. Complete lagfest. Stumped the hell out of me, went to the "connect all the unecessary shit" method and once I plugged it back in and found the network issue back I was just QQ. I keep it unplugged now!
    Nope, I did not upgrade to M.2 yet.
    You can take a look at my build here:

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, I tried all of the recommended fixes and unfortunately nothing (including the BIOS update). Neither card will load up (1070 & 970). Might just find a new motherboard, any suggestions? Would like to get a nice gaming-based board that's gonna have some longevity. While I'm at it should I upgrade the processor (same criteria as motherboard)? Looking for high quality and very good performance.

I haven't totally ruled out putting together a pc through cybepower pc or someone like that (don't choke me guys). I know some of you would rather wizz into the wind before paying someone to build your pc. Got a lot of reading and research to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast