So please spare the long winded explanation, I am trying to fix an issue with my computer and am at my wit's end. I would appreciate any assistance.

The issue is as follows:

While playing a video game (any 3D application), at seemingly random intervals, my monitor screen goes black followed by one of two things:

1. The screen resets, everything continues on as normal (I used to get notification from the nvidia control panel "recovered from a driver error.")
2. The screen stays black, the audio makes a hard crash noise (like a high pitch squeal) and the monitor says "No input selected." I have to force restart my computer.

Scenario 1 has been going on for about 6 months, scenario 2 started happening about 2 months ago. I used to encounter the issue only while playing Planetside 2, however I recently started experiencing it in Warframe so I do not think it is application specific.

My system temps are ok: CPU temp 40c/55c (idle/load). I recently cleaned my case which did lower my temps but the issue continues.

I have changed my graphics settings in Planetside 2. Even on low settings I still experience issues.

My rig is 3 years old:

i5-3570k
GTX 770
16gb ram
Win 7 64bit
Corsair Gold PSU (can't remember wattage but its higher end).

I don't know which if any crash logs would provide any assistance with diagnostics.

My assumption is that I have a failing compnonent such as the GPU, CPU, or PSU. I would like to identify the culprit but lack any idea of how to do so other than replacing components until the issue resolves. Would rather save time and money and hope that one of y'all can provide some input.

Thank you for your time.