Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I get enough exercise just pushing my luck BarryLutz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Choosing the best mouse for FPS gaming.

I am currently in the market for a new gaming mouse as my G9 is getting a little worn out. I know mouse preference has a lot to do with ergonomics and individual hand size but I was curious to see what everyone here recommends. Right now my top contenders are the Logitech G502 and the Corsair M65. I'm going to check them out at Microcenter this evening. All feedback is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've been using Razer mice for quite some time and can't complain about them. Currently running with Razer Mamba Tournament Edition. It's awesome, accurate and responsive mouse. Doing many headshots in BF4.

Last edited by ZED; 08-11-2016 at 10:27 AM.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! ColossalGyro's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BarryLutz View Post
    I am currently in the market for a new gaming mouse as my G9 is getting a little worn out. I know mouse preference has a lot to do with ergonomics and individual hand size but I was curious to see what everyone here recommends. Right now my top contenders are the Logitech G502 and the Corsair M65. I'm going to check them out at Microcenter this evening. All feedback is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
    I love love love love my Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Best mouse i have ever owned.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck BarryLutz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I picked up the G502 because I love Logitech products and I got it for $20 off. Time to break it in and see how I like it. Thanks for the input everyone.

King of the World and Principle Penetration Engineer of ClanAOD
    Rank
    Command Sergeant
    Division
    New World
    Status
    Active

I just got the G502 as well.

Best feature on it for me is that it has a "shift" button. I always hate using the DPI controls on a mouse because its cumbersome. The G502 has a thumb button that will "shift" the DPI to a chosen value until you release the button. It is fantastic for running with a high DPI in twitchy games but having a low DPI for sniper weapons on demand.

What once was can never be again,
    What is now will never come anew,
    What will be will only pass once.
    Cherish it all.

Call in a favor. Call in every favor you can. It might add up to a chance Wingdude100's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ditto for G502.

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I've had a deathadder a g500 (both still work) and now a g502.

For me it's all about how they feel in hand, I always buy mice in person. Even if it's at a premium. Its like trying clothes on.
    Meep Meep

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Logitech G Pro

Probably one of the best mice to come out in a very long time. Logitech finally listened and pretty much remade the G100 with a 3366 and G303 clicks. Only the cable is sorta crap but you can take a DA cable and replace it manually as they have the same pin layout or take another cable you like and switch the pins yourself very easily. Pre-orders are live and Ino already has a review up of the mouse.

Link: http://www.overclock.net/t/1608862/l...-review-by-ino

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! xxxhs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

g502 logitech

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I EpicBlob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yep, I have three other friends other than myself that use the g502. Of all the mice I have used (Razer, Cyborg, Corsair) this is by far my favorite. great button placement and feels amazing.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Tynich21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can't go wrong with a deathhadder by razor, best bang for your buck but there are more pricy options put there that may fit your liking better.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Tynich21's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

*out there

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! King_Tact's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I like my corsair m65 mouse does not have a lot of buttons on the mouse but good weight and feel for me (I have a large hand). Can also change mouse DPI on the fly which is nice for switch games where I use a higher DPI in COD and lower DPI in Battlefield.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You need to take into account these things when purchasing a mouse.
    • Senor - this is probably the most important, especially for FPS. You want all your flicks, lifts, and small adjustments to track, or not track when you want them to. Optical sensors are the best for that, no question about it. 3310, 3360, and 3366 are some of the best out there right now. Shoot for those.
    • Shape - this is also critical. A comfortable mouse for some will not be comfortable for everyone. Certain shapes can dictate what grips you use, be sure the mouse your getting can support your grip. (Palm, Claw, Fingertip). Ergonomic mice tend to be less friendly to a variety of grips.
    • Size - smaller hands tend to do worse with bigger mice. Same thing goes for bigger hands with smaller mice. Big hands trying to palm a g303 is not pretty.
    • Weight - Big deal for FPS players. Shoot for 100g or less. Heavier mice are much more taxing to use over long periods of time, much harder to flick, and much harder to lift. They tend to feel not quite as responsive. MMORPG players probably won't care, because they're not playing on 400 DPI lol.
    • Software - Can you set your own DPI settings? Can you edit liftoff distance? Do you want to calibrate your mouse to a surface? Certain brands do very well with this. Others do not.
    • Materials - It's a big deal, but near the bottom because often it can be dealt with. Some materials are much easier to grip. Some materials trap dust or get slippery when you sweat. Know what you're buying, and if it will pose a problem.
    • Build quality - Known issues with your mice? Does it have sensor rattle? Does it explode when it gets near cats? Some mice have their little quirks.
    • Features - this will rank differently depending on the person. Do you want 12 buttons on your mouse? Do you want fancy RBG lighting that wows your pet hamster? Take this into account.

And then of course, there's price. Gaming mice are fucking expensive, so you'll have to decide what's worth it, and what's too much.

PM me if anyone wants individual help picking out a mouse, I'm somewhat of a gaming mouse enthusiast so I'm sure I'll have some recommendations :)
    Last edited by CapnVG; 08-17-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CapnVG View Post
    You need to take into account these things when purchasing a mouse.
    [LIST]
    Optical sensors are the best for that, no question about it.
    I disagree. It really depends on preference and person. I prefer Laser and I own with laser mouse in all FPS games. Technically laser sensor is more accurate than optical. However, for laser mouse you need to be careful with choosing surface - it has to be even and smooth with as least textures as possible. In other words, if you don't want to spend time tuning and adjusting your mouse then go with optical but if you don't mind to spend some time on adjusting the mouse to get best results then laser is the way to go because you will get the highest accuracy with laser sensor rather than optical.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    I disagree. It really depends on preference and person. I prefer Laser and I own with laser mouse in all FPS games. Technically laser sensor is more accurate than optical. However, for laser mouse you need to be careful with choosing surface - it has to be even and smooth with as least textures as possible. In other words, if you don't want to spend time tuning and adjusting your mouse then go with optical but if you don't mind to spend some time on adjusting the mouse to get best results then laser is the way to go because you will get the highest accuracy with laser sensor rather than optical.
    I counter-disagree ;)

Laser sensors tend to have inherent hardware acceleration, angle snapping, jitter, prediction, Z-axis issues, etc
    They are also very very finicky about the surfaces they use, or else the issues get much worse.

All the issues above? Optical sensors don't tend to have. I would ask you to clarify your use of the word "accurate" in addition. Are your referring to some of them having a higher resolution or being able to attain a higher DPI?

These days some laser sensors are more refined, and the difference is less. Some laser mice can be better than some optical mice, but optical mice just tend to be better. There's no reason to pay the same for a slightly inferior sensor.

Basic comparison on between laser and optical ----> http://www.overclock.net/t/951894/th...ul-mouse-guide
    List of Superior Mouse Sensors, (mostly optical), it's a good read ----------> https://geekhack.org/?topic=56240.0
    Laser vs Optical comparison video -----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNFfmKs7BFk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CapnVG View Post
    I counter-disagree ;)

Laser sensors tend to have inherent hardware acceleration, angle snapping, jitter, prediction, Z-axis issues, etc
    They are also very very finicky about the surfaces they use, or else the issues get much worse.

All the issues above? Optical sensors don't tend to have. I would ask you to clarify your use of the word "accurate" in addition. Are your referring to some of them having a higher resolution or being able to attain a higher DPI?

These days some laser sensors are more refined, and the difference is less. Some laser mice can be better than some optical mice, but optical mice just tend to be better. There's no reason to pay the same for a slightly inferior sensor.

Basic comparison on between laser and optical ----> http://www.overclock.net/t/951894/th...ul-mouse-guide
    List of Superior Mouse Sensors, (mostly optical), it's a good read ----------> https://geekhack.org/?topic=56240.0
    Laser vs Optical comparison video -----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNFfmKs7BFk
    First of all I explained that it's preference at the end of the day. Second of all I did say that laser sensors need a smoother surface with less textures. I guess you did not read my comment entirely.
    Moreover, I said that I like laser mouse more myself and I do own in FPS games with it. It really matters what surface you use, how you adjust your mouse, and most importantly how you move your hand. I do have Optical and Laser mice at home and yet I prefer Laser over optical any day.
    To answer question about accuracy and precision:

Last edited by ZED; 08-17-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also, here is to compare from my own video's and experience.

First playing here with my optical Razer mouse.

Now watch me play with my laser Razer mouse. Do you see any improvement and how many head-shots I get? I point the gun right where I want to fire, while with optical I over-miss.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    First of all I explained that it's preference at the end of the day. Second of all I did say that laser sensors need a smoother surface with less textures. I guess you did not read my comment entirely.
    Moreover, I said that I like laser mouse more myself and I do own in FPS games with it. It really matters what surface you use, how you adjust your mouse, and most importantly how you move your hand. I do have Optical and Laser mice at home and yet I prefer Laser over optical any day.
    To answer question about accuracy and precision:

No reason to get all huffy, I assure you that I read your post lol. I suspect you misunderstood my question. Much of my post was dedicated to informing the other members here about laser mice, which is why I appeared to not answer your directly in parts.

I should have clarified that my disagreement was with the statement that laser mice are more accurate, not belittling your person experience at all. Popular opinion and some pretty solid evidence would tend to disagree with you, but everyone is different.

If you found the perfect mouse for yourself and it happens to be a laser mouse then I'm just as happy for you.

I'm not going to continue this debate since I feel a certain degree of attitude in your post, thus breaching the cordiality that conversations like this rely on to stay above the CoC. I would hate for this to take a turn for the worst.

Have a nice day:)
    Last edited by CapnVG; 08-18-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Cele's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Love my deathadder :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast