If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! King_Tact's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Looking for a GPU

Where is a good place to look for a decent used GPU.

Currently using my old APU right now and it's finally done trying to keep up with recent titles, and with BF1 coming out in a couple months would be nice to have a dedicated GPU.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Looking for a GPU

Depends how much you are spending, a good Video card right now is the GTX 1070 from either MSI (Best so I think) EVGA or ASUS

Sent from my nuclear fusion reactor

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ShadowCube View Post
    Depends how much you are spending, a good Video card right now is the GTX 1070 from either MSI (Best so I think) EVGA or ASUS

Sent from my nuclear fusion reactor
    They are all same but the most sexiest is ASUS

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If I did the new 10xx series it would just be a 1060. I play 1080p @ 60FPS. Also looking for something on the used market like 970-980s or something.

I am just not feeling NVidia's pricing right now with their FE's and aftermarket cards pricing all jacked up. I was about to get a 1060 until I seen the price was 349.99

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you looking used just look for a 980 ti . Almost everyone is trying to get rid of theirs for 10xx

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yea but where is a good place to look other than ebay or craigslist. I do not trust either one of those.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

HardOCP and Overclock.net have For Sale sections where members sell used hardware. I haven't used either personally but I do see a fair bit of listings on there that can be worth checking out.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I got a Zotec 1070 Amp Extreme a few month ago. It is a beast of a card and looks great! https://www.amazon.com
    /gp/product/B01GVNNOSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

EVGA sells what they call "B-stock gear" -- They have warranties and everything, for good prices.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product...+Series+Family

Can I have your Tots Eviscerator's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A 980 ti would be a good buy since stores are trying to get rid of their stock. i would recommend the 1070 if you are going to keep the system for a long time(or 980ti) rather than the 1060. i had an evga GTX580 sc last me for 5 years before i retired it(1.5GB vram doesn't go very far now adays).

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd go with a 1070 just for longevity sake. 1080p at 144FPS isn't a bad bonus either!

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Don't get a used card man, just get a new one.

980 Ti or 1070 would be best, I'd say 1080 too, but like you said, there's a bad price feeling; but it's just between 1070 and 1080, it shouldn't be more than like 50 bucks.

No matter which model you go with, I'd go with a EVGA FTW one.

There's also a website that rents out GPU's, and you can buy the card to keep it as well, seems pricey thou; but would be better than just buying a used card (unless you can get a more than one year of warranty on it).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just be beware of OC potential on the newer Pascal cards. Even some of the top tier cards with better power delivery and extra phases are overclocking poorly in comparison to the FE. There also may be a voltage limit placed on the boards which may not be be by-passable using custom BIOS. The only significant benefit currently between the reference/custom editions of the 10xx series is the cooling.

If you're not planning to upgrade to a 1440p/1600p panel in the near future, I'd stick with a 1070 for 1080p gaming. Should do well to deliver 60FPS for the next few years easily and if you do end up getting a 120Hz/1080p panel, you should be able to hit it constantly with slightly lowered settings.

If 1440p/1600p is something you're planning to upgrade to, I'd suggest grabbing a 1080 that fits your budget. There are some aftermarket CLC solutions out for the FE variants of it from Corsair which you can install yourself if you do end up snatching a FE for cheap and are looking to improve thermal performance.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Criggles View Post
    Just be beware of OC potential on the newer Pascal cards. Even some of the top tier cards with better power delivery and extra phases are overclocking poorly in comparison to the FE.
    Not quite sure where are you getting this information but all GPU's with Custom PCBs overclock better than FE by producing less heat and thus there is no thermal throttling. My ASUS ROG STRIX 1070 goes 2100 Mhz Core Clock and 9400 Mhz Memory Clock no problem and yet temperatures stay around 65C.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Not quite sure where are you getting this information but all GPU's with Custom PCBs overclock better than FE by producing less heat and thus there is no thermal throttling. My ASUS ROG STRIX 1070 goes 2100 Mhz Core Clock and 9400 Mhz Memory Clock no problem and yet temperatures stay around 65C.
    Considering the founders editions are hitting 2.1 as well albeit at higher temps, the better power delivery doesn't seem to be doing much.

That's why I mentioned that the biggest selling point of the custom boards is improved cooling and acoustics over the FE.

If you're expecting much better performance aside from cooling/acoustics over the Founders Edition, you'll be thofoughly disappointed as it's a silicon lottery. My Strix 1080 fails to hit 2100 even with added voltage on the stock bios. Using a LN2 bios with no power&voltage limit allows the card to hit 2.15 at a whopping 1.13V.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Criggles; 08-22-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Criggles View Post
    Considering the founders editions are hitting 2.1 as well albeit at higher temps, the better power delivery doesn't seem to be doing much.

That's why I mentioned that the biggest selling point of the custom boards is improved cooling and acoustics over the FE.

If you're expecting much better performance aside from cooling/acoustics over the Founders Edition, you'll be thofoughly disappointed as it's a silicon lottery. My Strix 1080 fails to hit 2100 even with added voltage on the stock bios. Using a LN2 bios with no power&voltage limit allows the card to hit 2.15 at a whopping 1.13V.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    I agree on that Pascal GPU's do not need more power delivery since the chip is using way less power than previous gen. Some cards have extra power delivery not for better overclocking but because of extra features they have. A lot of people are not aware of that and are confused and think that extra 6pin or 8pin connector will let them overclock Pascal GPU's higher.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also, noticing that you're running an APU. I'm unsure whether you're getting the GPU to use with the APU or it's for a different rig. If it's for the APU, I'd not waste too much money on GPU and pick up a cheap RX470 or something as odds are you'll likely end up being CPU bottlenecked if not suffer from degraded performance due to the weaker CPU.