Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default GRIX needs a gpu but is broke

Hi all,

So I am in the market for a new gpu. Im looking at 1070's, I'm on a budget and can't justify spending $600+ on a 1080. I was thinking either the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rpq0035wt00053 or the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487248
    I'm hoping to spend in the $400s range but be able to get at least 60fps on high+ settings for BF4 and 1, GTA V, Titanfall etc.
    My current specs are
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    MOBO: Asus M5A97
    GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
    RAM: 8GB corsair
    PSU: Corsair 850

Thank you all for your help!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd say, go with MSI version you chose because that EVGA you chose is built on exact same PCB as NVIDIA Founders Edition. The only EVGA Custom PCB GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 are FTW, Classified and Hybrid.

I'm running on this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-111-_-Product
    It's an amazing card. It's cool (cooler than MSI) overclocks like a beast and is the most best looking since it does not have any color accents and has only RGB lighting.

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

From what i've seen all of the cards perform near identically no matter what level they are at (MFR basic model vs higher priced overclocked models). That being said pick the one that fits you and your price.
    Meep Meep

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd get this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487259 - if you can't afford it, save up or use credit card

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to go with Zed's card since it's the same price as the one I had thought originally.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_GRIX-THAY View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I'm going to go with Zed's card since it's the same price as the one I had thought originally.
    Don't do it man! The EVGA FTW card is the best. Has extra power delivery capability, and is really fast.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    Don't do it man! The EVGA FTW card is the best. Has extra power delivery capability, and is really fast.
    Pascal does not need that extra power delivery. ROG STRIX 1070 maxes it out easy with single 8 pin - 2100 Mhz Core Clock and 9400 Mhz Memory Clock. When will people learn that Pascal draws less power than Maxwell and does not need that much power delivery to do overclocking?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Overall all Pascal GPU"s overclock the same. Question here is design and cooling. ASUS ROG STRIX has both - it looks most appealing and has best cooling. My ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 does not go above 65C with all overclock and fans are betweeen 40% - 45%. I can raise the fan speed and I will get below 60C.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I Black Bolt's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

To be honest either of those cards will do, however your FX-8350 is going to be the bottleneck here.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Again thank you all for the input ..I just bought the evga 1070 from my original post..but I'm new to replacing gpus. My question is since my mobo doesn't have integrated graphics will I run into any problems ..or will uninstalling the current drivers work? Also Black Bolt I looked it up here https://m.reddit.com/r/nvidia/commen..._with_fx_8350/ and it seems I'll be fine with my specs.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Remove old gpu. Install new GPU. Boot into safe mode. Download DDU and run it to wipe all display related stuff. Boot into normal mode, install latest driver and you're done.

Edit*

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your motherboard otherwise you may not POST with the new card. If you need to update it, do so before removing the old card.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Criggles; 08-24-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_GRIX-THAY View Post
    Again thank you all for the input ..I just bought the evga 1070 from my original post..but I'm new to replacing gpus. My question is since my mobo doesn't have integrated graphics will I run into any problems ..or will uninstalling the current drivers work? Also Black Bolt I looked it up here https://m.reddit.com/r/nvidia/commen..._with_fx_8350/ and it seems I'll be fine with my specs.
    Simply do this and reboot your system:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver Installation 2.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	25709

There is no need to third party software to remove drivers and perform a clean install.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Pascal does not need that extra power delivery. ROG STRIX 1070 maxes it out easy with single 8 pin - 2100 Mhz Core Clock and 9400 Mhz Memory Clock. When will people learn that Pascal draws less power than Maxwell and does not need that much power delivery to do overclocking?
    The FTW Cards can deliver the extra power for even further overclocks than the ROG Swift. That 2100 could turn into 2200 or even 2300 with the FTW cards.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    The FTW Cards can deliver the extra power for even further overclocks than the ROG Swift. That 2100 could turn into 2200 or even 2300 with the FTW cards.
    Past 2100 Mhz is a silicon lottery not the power issue. Watch JayzTwoCents, he does tests and covers everything about Pascal. Also, you need a Custom BIOS to go beyond 2200 Mhz
    Last edited by ZED; 08-26-2016 at 11:51 AM.