what the fuck is an apex neruxxx's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Let's talk about Assetto Corsa FFB

Here's what prompted me to write this post, i heard a lot of people coming from pcars complaining about assetto FFB ("its too light", "can't feel the grip", "its not fighting me like pcars", "i cant like this ffb omg this is awful")
    then we tell you to USE the wheelcheck app (linear test, 100 steps) and LUT generator as per racedepartment tutorial that explains itself with screenshots and stuff http://www.racedepartment.com/downlo...r-for-ac.9740/
    but you still think that its too light (maybe a lot of users are accustomed to pcars wild ffb (i do agree that it surfaces stronger forces without clipping) so the other fix is to set FFB per car with "+ and -" keys.
    usually when you get to pcars levels in some ranges you'll start to clip sooner and lose a lot of detail.
    most of the time the "lightness" is worse with COG based ffb of logitech wheels, so i've been exploring options to get the most of the assetto corsa engine, in order to cater more people.
    so far i found 3 options that could help BUT if done wrong they'll get you a nasty rattle at the center.

first one is the value provided here http://www.racedepartment.com/downlo...tech-g27.7983/
    second, if thats not to your liking (provided you played with the values a bit) you could always increase the MIN FORCE value in-game.
    third, play with the min values generated in your LUT file (you can open it with wordpad/notepad) without altering the 0.0 value btw.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dAcg9SB.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	25755

maybe youll get a better feel in the lower end, also i use this settings: 90 gain, 0 filter, 10 min force, 50 kerbs, 0 road and 0 slip.

another aspect of assetto ffb is a more technical one.
    assetto ffb works best with as much fps as you can get, more FPS, less Frame time, more FFB updates, less clipping.
    so you might want to disable VSYNC as it increases input lag AND frame time.

this is assetto render stats app.

Name:	jIrsgfl.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	25756

you want to get that FT (frame time) value as lower as possible
    also you'll notice a red graphic line in the small frame below. you want that line as smooth as possible too, without any spikes, if you notice it spiking you might want to change some settings that ill provide below.

here's the assetto system cfg route (Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\as setto_corsa.ini)
    and this values i changed to get a smoother experience, less frame time and no spiking/stutter

[FORCE_FEEDBACK]
    FF_SKIP_STEPS=0

[THREADING]
    USE_TIMER_PROCESS=1
    SET_THREAD_AFFINITY_MASK=0

[PHYSICS_THREADING]
    THREADS=5
    note: i have a 6 core amd cpu, left one thread free for the main game thread.

and as an option i enabled the soft lock, as i was always steering more than required in formula cars and others.
    [SOFT_LOCK]
    ENABLED=1

i do have a detailed experience with no major issues with assetto ffb, i set my ffb per car if required.
    yeah its different but far from bad.
    do give it a try and tell me what you think !

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? AOD Member AOD_ZED's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

Thanks for posting this. Will give it a try.
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_0...dKywFi90AiVjAQ
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.3 Ghz
    GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070
    Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero
    RAM: 16 GB (4x4 GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2400MHz

AOD 4 LiFE!!!

Rank
    First Sergeant
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

Thanks neruxxx! Ill tweak it around and see

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_ichigobankai09's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

My issue isn't FFB too light etc etc, I feel like even at the correct setting for my wheel, it still feel like I'm driving on ICE, turn the wheel, feel all the bumps, but nothing happens just continuing to understeer... in an F1 car..., If you have another solution that isn't what youve already stated I'd love to try I spent 40 bucks on the game and would love to play but if its the tire models fault or the fact that I use a G27 then I'll continue to hold off until an update. But thanks for this Post Neruxxx.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ichigobankai09 View Post
    My issue isn't FFB too light etc etc, I feel like even at the correct setting for my wheel, it still feel like I'm driving on ICE, turn the wheel, feel all the bumps, but nothing happens just continuing to understeer... in an F1 car..., If you have another solution that isn't what youve already stated I'd love to try I spent 40 bucks on the game and would love to play but if its the tire models fault or the fact that I use a G27 then I'll continue to hold off until an update. But thanks for this Post Neruxxx.
    assetto is sort of a "grip reliant" ffb, bear with me on this, when the car is pushed and has a lot of grip i wheel feel the heavyness in the steering. sometimes if i get a tad of understeer it will have that icy feeling. (not the same brake lock up lack of grip)
    most of the time is not an issue as i get the information of the lack of grip in the front wheels. i did read somewhere that adding a bit of spring to assetto is effectively helpful and wont deter your gameplay in anyway.
    give a try to spa and go full throttle into eau rouge and see if you still feel thats icy.

did you try the LUT generator ?

i still think this game hates logitech cogs! but i do enjoy it alot, i get the most of it.

tldr, maybe adding spring in the profiler could help.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

anyway, as assetto relies on front grip a lot you need to get your setup and tyres at optimum psi, thats somewhere around 30-33 psi for slicks, dont give too much thought about exterior temperatures, only internal temp over time will change the tyre pressure.
    in a sense tyre pressure dictates optimum grip, i have no idea why its coded like that BUT to achieve that you need to care somewhat about temperatures, mainly internal temp of the tyre.
    external temps sometimes change quickly between corners and they dont reflect overall grip as internal temp/pressure.

its way less complicated when you get the gist of it, its another kind of force feedback and for me it gives me enough information required to drive properly.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

im gonna add that the tyre model affects a lot of the car handling and ffb perception, new tyre model should be rolling out soon to gt3 cars.
    try the gt2 ones that already have the new tyre model. (v10)

Rank
    Private
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

This is exactly what I get. It feels that I'm driving a car on ICE and there is too much understeer. But I do not like that the wheel is so light, I guess that applies to my previous statement, "feels like on ICE". I use Logitech G29.

Rank
    Private
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_neruxxx View Post

its way less complicated when you get the gist of it, its another kind of force feedback and for me it gives me enough information required to drive properly.
    My concern and complain is not the fact I can't drive properly in game but the fact that it doesn't give that feeling and experience what I get in PCars. Let me explain it, first I bought Assetto Corsa and tried it on my keyboard and the game felt ok but I was not impressed about visuals and was kinda weird to have a bit too much understeer on cars even though all assists were off. Moreover, was not impressed about the UI in game. Then a few days later I bought my Logitech G29 wheel. I came home happy and plugged in my wheel and enjoyed the hell out of that game and forgot about UI problems and low Graphics. I loved Assetto Corsa and I was like wow wow, this is awesome. Then a few days later I decided to give it a try in PCars and bought the game. So, my first reaction when I turned on the game was like "holy macaroni this game is so real and FFB is so damn real and feels so nice" I fell in love with the game from the very first second and even up today I love everything about the game. There is literally nothing I could complain about it - it's perfect, even though some people say there are bugs, but I haven't seen or found any so far.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    My concern and complain is not the fact I can't drive properly in game but the fact that it doesn't give that feeling and experience what I get in PCars. Let me explain it, first I bought Assetto Corsa and tried it on my keyboard and the game felt ok but I was not impressed about visuals and was kinda weird to have a bit too much understeer on cars even though all assists were off. Moreover, was not impressed about the UI in game. Then a few days later I bought my Logitech G29 wheel. I came home happy and plugged in my wheel and enjoyed the hell out of that game and forgot about UI problems and low Graphics. I loved Assetto Corsa and I was like wow wow, this is awesome. Then a few days later I decided to give it a try in PCars and bought the game. So, my first reaction when I turned on the game was like "holy macaroni this game is so real and FFB is so damn real and feels so nice" I fell in love with the game from the very first second and even up today I love everything about the game. There is literally nothing I could complain about it - it's perfect, even though some people say there are bugs, but I haven't seen or found any so far.
    first of all, in a way, pcars shouldnt be a parameter. also did you try any of the settings above? did you adjust your ffb gain per car later?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i never had understeer issues in the sf15t, not that it doesnt understeer if i overshoot a corner but never on ice. only if im locking up the front hard

Rank
    Private
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

first of all, in a way, pcars shouldnt be a parameter. also did you try any of the settings above? did you adjust your ffb gain per car later?
    I haven't tried FFB gain per car but I tried to set FFB gain 200% and 150% and 120% and the feeling was horrible. Yes, the wheel became a bit more stiffer but it was still not there and and the way FFB worked was horrible, it felt that I'm turning not a car wheel but LEGO car wheel with cracks (don't really know how to explain it in words but it was not smooth in other words). I haven't tried your suggested settings yet. Didn't have time to play any games lately. I even gave it to my wife for try out. She is not a gamer at all but has drivers licence. She said that the feeling of the wheel and car overall was better in PCars. I did same test with my friend who also is not a gamer at all and he said the same thing that Assetto wheel is too light and feels like driving a car on ICE. I reached the age when I just want to plug in game and enjoy it and not spend hours adjusting it and PCars is doing that job perfectly cause I haven't changed a thing in PCars FFB settings - everything is on default there.

The cars I'm driving are GT3 class cars cause those are the cars I'm interested in. After doing some research I found out that Assetto Corsa is not friendly with any of GT class but is good for higher end cars.
    Last edited by AOD_ZED; 08-31-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    I haven't tried FFB gain per car but I tried to set FFB gain 200% and 150% and 120% and the feeling was horrible. Yes, the wheel became a bit more stiffer but it was still not there and and the way FFB worked was horrible, it felt that I'm turning not a car wheel but LEGO car wheel with cracks (don't really know how to explain it in words but it was not smooth in other words). I haven't tried your suggested settings yet. Didn't have time to play any games lately. I even gave it to my wife for try out. She is not a gamer at all but has drivers licence. She said that the feeling of the wheel and car overall was better in PCars. I did same test with my friend who also is not a gamer at all and he said the same thing that Assetto wheel is too light and feels like driving a car on ICE. I reached the age when I just want to plug in game and enjoy it and not spend hours adjusting it and PCars is doing that job perfectly cause I haven't changed a thing in PCars FFB settings - everything is on default there.

The cars I'm driving are GT3 class cars cause those are the cars I'm interested in. After doing some research I found out that Assetto Corsa is not friendly with any of GT class but is good for higher end cars.
    well 200% gain is not smart at all, you'll only get tons of clipping. just do the lut generator thing, it wont take more than a couple minutes and its fairly straightforward, set the bullshit effects to 0, leave the gain at 100% and if you want add a bit of min force.
    then go percar adjusting till you want. dont go bonkers with ffb gain expecting a miracle, i play a lot of gt3 in assetto and i get consistent results. saying what you dont like without even trying to configure it properly is a waste of time, pcars ffb defaults its steering gain at 300 wich is VERY strong giving you a misleading feeling, like getting wasp level stings from a mosquito.

just take your 5 mins and give it a go.
    -do wheelcheck linear test at 100 steps (test is 1 min tops)
    -do the lut generator (generates the file automatically)
    -edit the ff post process file accordingly
    - set yout ffb in game
    done.

Rank
    Private
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

well 200% gain is not smart at all, you'll only get tons of clipping. just do the lut generator thing, it wont take more than a couple minutes and its fairly straightforward, set the bullshit effects to 0, leave the gain at 100% and if you want add a bit of min force.
    then go percar adjusting till you want. dont go bonkers with ffb gain expecting a miracle, i play a lot of gt3 in assetto and i get consistent results. saying what you dont like without even trying to configure it properly is a waste of time, pcars ffb defaults its steering gain at 300 wich is VERY strong giving you a misleading feeling, like getting wasp level stings from a mosquito.

just take your 5 mins and give it a go.
    -do wheelcheck linear test at 100 steps (test is 1 min tops)
    -do the lut generator (generates the file automatically)
    -edit the ff post process file accordingly
    - set yout ffb in game
    done.
    I will give it a shot when I get a chance. Really want to play some games but didn't get a chance to play any for the past week due to my in-laws visiting me. Now that they left I will finally get back to racing. Also, had tonns of work after I took a vacation.

My problem about Assetto Corsa was not the inconsistency. I'm very consistent in any racing game but the problem was that it didn't feel that good after I tried other racing games. As I said earlier, I really enjoyed Assetto before I tried PCars. But I will give another shot to this game and try everything you mentioned here. Thanks!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I know the plug and play factor is quite important but after coming from other games with a different feel you wont get what you want straight away, subjective expectations about what it should be. I hope that everyone can enjoy a lot of racing games and i do this with the intention of aod members to enjoy AC jusr as other racing games.

Feel free to ask me anything in ts or steam
    Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

Come to the Dank Side AOD Member AOD_DankKronix's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

Great thread Neruxxx. You have done a great service to explaining the in and outs of the different engine that AC runs on.
    I like the feel cause I have gotten that sweet spot of my settings dialed in and it feels like a car from my wheel.

Sig By: DankKronix
    Welcome to the Dank Side

Rank
    Private
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active

So I've been playing around with some FFB settings and I have to say I take my words back. I finally found a way to make a wheel stiffer and now I get that feel of the FFB and it's fighting back on the corners. I need to tweak it more tho, want to find that effect for oversteering, feels a bit too weak for now but here is what I have now. As soon as I removed Filters add more Minimum Force it did its magic.
    I'm starting to actually really like FFB in this game. Will deff start playing this game more often.

Name:	AC FFB.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	26327