Hybrid View

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? Pipex's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon5 What would be a decent computer build for these requirements?

Hello all, I'm currently in the planning phase for a really needed computer upgrade. A (what I think was) power surge did something to my current computer and since then I haven't been able to turn it on. I've asked some friends in AOD and they say that theres a 70% chance that only the power supply unit was affected and the rest is fine. Well, a friend is coming during the weekend to take a look at it. Anyway, if its either alright or not, I think I will need to buy a new computer for next year. For both, gaming and study/work reasons.

When it comes to gaming, Im left behind, a lot. I know this is a luxury, but it is what I enjoy, so if you can recommend me a new setup, it would be nice if it is something that can keep up with new games for some years would be nice. (Don't worry, I'm not interested in 4K quality or stuff like that, just some decent visuals and stable FPS)

When it comes to study/work, I'm interested in fast code compile times, and also fast compile times for level design, I know that probably a decent gaming computer would be enough for these requirements, but, since I dont know too much when it comes to hardware, I'll let the experts decide that.

Ok so, with those requirements, now comes my possible budget. First of all, it is not a fixed amount, since I need to pay for meds, and that stuff may require more or less depending on the new doses my doctor gives me. At best I could save up to $1000, so working around that value would be best.

Also, the reason of why I am posting this here is because I have little to no idea about computer parts, what would be the best combinations for a certain budget, etc. Last time I got a computer, my uninformed decision ended up with me getting a videocard that bottleneck'd the system. So that's basically it, I hope I can get some info help to finally acquire a decent computers for new games.

Thank you beforehand.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Building your own or buying prebuilt? You'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you build it yourself, but if you feel very strongly that you can't do it (it's really easy, especially with all the directions you can find online these days) then you'll get what I feel would be something only marginally better than mediocre at this point.

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? Pipex's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Build on my own.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i5 6600k + GTX 1070 + Z170 Motherboard + 16 GB RAM + SSD will meet all your requirements.
    However, if you can wait a couple month and see if Intel Kaby Lake or AMD ZEN is released then I would recommend to wait.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Try to find a used x79 setup someone is selling. You should be able to grab a 3930k/4930k with a decent mobo. Not the latest and greatest but with a decent OC, you can get within 5-10% of Skylake on single thread and obliterate any of the 4C/8T stuff for multithreaded work.

As for a GPU, lots of 980ti's should be up for sale by previous owners and you can pick one up for cheap.

I understand I'm suggesting used parts but with your budget, you should be able to find someone selling them in good condition and save some money.

CPU gives you enough PCI-E lanes to grab another GPU for sli later (if you choose) and still have bandwidth left for pcie ssd's down the road.

It'll be a fairly good rig for HPC work and let you save up money so you can do a full overhaul in a few years.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($439.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1155.57
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-04 10:02 EDT-0400

That fits everything you need. And, you can SLI later too.

Knee High to a Worms Ass MadJack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB x2 (16gb) DDR4 @2133Mhz
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 2.0+
    Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case
    Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan (Intake)

Now where Could you cut Corners:

A 980TI for you may be over kill if so i would Recommend a 980 or 970 or even a R9 390 but a 980ti will do wonders for your FPS
    This pc could run on a 650w Psu but i went 750 just to make sure our heads aint just above water and to make sure you dont have to worry about power supply going R.I.P
    You Could go with 8gb Ram
    You can get rid of the SSD and go with a 2TB or even 2.5Tb Mechanical Drive
    Cheaper Case
    Get rid of the extra fan as the case has 2 fans with it already

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB x2 (16gb) DDR4 @2133Mhz
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 2.0+
    Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case
    Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan (Intake)

Now where Could you cut Corners:

A 980TI for you may be over kill if so i would Recommend a 980 or 970 or even a R9 390 but a 980ti will do wonders for your FPS
    This pc could run on a 650w Psu but i went 750 just to make sure our heads aint just above water and to make sure you dont have to worry about power supply going R.I.P
    You Could go with 8gb Ram
    You can get rid of the SSD and go with a 2TB or even 2.5Tb Mechanical Drive
    Cheaper Case
    Get rid of the extra fan as the case has 2 fans with it already
    That's such a bad setup it's not even funny...

Why get the i5-6600 when he can get a 6600k and stay in budget? No reason to get an aftermarket cooler with a non-K CPU. Loading times aren't so bad that he needs a 250 GB SSD. a 980Ti is a waste when the 1070is more powerful than it. Also that case is pretty bad... Additionally, if you don't want your PSU going RIP, it's not the Wattage that you need to worry about, it's the actual Quality of the PSU. Corsair RMx series PSU's are ok, but are over priced. the EVGA G2 series is the best quality for the money. And, you don't need the extra intake fan at all.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    That's such a bad setup it's not even funny...

Why get the i5-6600 when he can get a 6600k and stay in budget? No reason to get an aftermarket cooler with a non-K CPU. Loading times aren't so bad that he needs a 250 GB SSD. a 980Ti is a waste when the 1070is more powerful than it. Also that case is pretty bad... Additionally, if you don't want your PSU going RIP, it's not the Wattage that you need to worry about, it's the actual Quality of the PSU. Corsair RMx series PSU's are ok, but are over priced. the EVGA G2 series is the best quality for the money. And, you don't need the extra intake fan at all.
    I agree on that i5 6600 none K is a waste of money. Rather then get i5 6500, which is much cheaper and performance wise is pretty close to 6600 none K version:
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...600/3513vs3514

Also, I do agree that not the Wattage is important but the quality. For single GPU setups a 600W is enough and even leaves some extra headroom.

Moreover, I do agree that 900 series NVIDIA GPU's is a waste at this point cause 1000 series are out. GTX 1070 is much more powerful when overclocked than 980Ti and costs way less.