Icon10 Upgrading help! :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470
    GPU: AMD HD 7870
    SSD: PNY Optima 240GB
    HDD: WD Green 2TB (2011)
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 C11 2x8GB
    MBD: MSI Z77A-G45 (MS-7752)

This is my Current PC build. I know its old XD

If i where to upgrade my Graphics Card to a GTX 1080 should that help my CPU in any way at all? i always hit 100% most of the time in game. i currently can not afford to build a new over all.
    if not what upgrade should i do instead?

Thanks for the input in advance :D

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_VVoody_87th's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

It's a bit dated overall but I think if gaming is a priority you'd see the biggest bang for your buck with a graphics card upgrade. What's your budget?

I think you could run an older 4th generation i7 CPU like a 4770 or 4790 on that mobo and get a good boost in CPU performance but your gaming performance increase would be less noticeable.

I think you're money would be best spent on a gographics card and then start planning to upgrade the mobo/CPU/RAM down the road.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_doomfire109 View Post
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470
    GPU: AMD HD 7870
    SSD: PNY Optima 240GB
    HDD: WD Green 2TB (2011)
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 C11 2x8GB
    MBD: MSI Z77A-G45 (MS-7752)

This is my Current PC build. I know its old XD

If i where to upgrade my Graphics Card to a GTX 1080 should that help my CPU in any way at all? i always hit 100% most of the time in game. i currently can not afford to build a new over all.
    if not what upgrade should i do instead?

Thanks for the input in advance :D
    You would not be able to use a full potential of GTX 1080 with that i5. So, I'd say it would be a waste of money if you don't upgrade your CPU along with your GPU. Also, GTX 1080 is outdated - it's 2 years old and GTX 1180 is just 1 month away: more specific August 21st.

What is your budget? I would recommend to upgrade your Mobo, CPU, RAM now and throw in some used GTX 970 for now and then upgrade to GTX 1180 or GTX 1170 later. Catching the wave of the GPU release date is the best you can do. I bought my GTX 1070 two years ago as soon as it got released and I'm waiting for GTX 1170 or GTX 1180 to upgrade. This GTX 1070 has served me well for 2 years and I was able to max out any game I want.
    Last edited by ZED; 07-17-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also, keep in mind, you can always sell your old parts and get some money out of it. So, upgrading to new parts will not be as harsh as just buying your first new PC.

I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_VVoody_87th View Post
    It's a bit dated overall but I think if gaming is a priority you'd see the biggest bang for your buck with a graphics card upgrade. What's your budget?

I think you could run an older 4th generation i7 CPU like a 4770 or 4790 on that mobo and get a good boost in CPU performance but your gaming performance increase would be less noticeable.

I think you're money would be best spent on a gographics card and then start planning to upgrade the mobo/CPU/RAM down the road.
    That mobo is a socket 2011. It wouldn't be able to fit a 4770 or 4790.

I agree with Zed, upgrade mobo, CPU, and RAM and get a slightly cheaper graphics card instead of spending $500 on a GTX 1080 your system couldn't keep up with.

Keep honking. I'm reloading doomfire109's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

alright sounds good! :D the only problem is i forgot to say i am in Canada so prices may be very different considering that. I probably have about 700$ max and the 1080 is on sale right now for 650$ Canadian which is 100 off.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_doomfire109 View Post
    alright sounds good! :D the only problem is i forgot to say i am in Canada so prices may be very different considering that. I probably have about 700$ max and the 1080 is on sale right now for 650$ Canadian which is 100 off.
    You are lucky today. I'm in Canada and know the hardware market pretty well cause I follow prices. Usually best deals in Canada can be found at Canada Computers stores or Amazon.ca. Don't bother with Newegg, their customer service is super bad and rude. Send me a PM or catch me on TS.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

If you are gaming on a 1080 monitor the GTX1080 is overkill.

You could get a massive improvement in performance with a GTX1060 for about half the price. You'd probably see close to double your frame rates. They are right that a 1080 would be overkill with your current system and while faster the money would be better invested toward a future CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade.

For gaming hands down you will get the best bang for your buck by upgrading the graphics card and a 1080 would be too much unless you plan on gaming on a 1440 monitor and also plan on upgrading the CPU.

If you upgrade your CPU/mobo/RAM now and keep your current graphics card you won't see nearly as significant an improvement in games as you would be adding a GTX1060.

Sometimes just adding raw power to an unbalanced system won't give you the performance you'd expect.

The GTX1060 comes in two flavors 3GB and 6GB VRAM. Again at 1080 most games will not need the 6GB so it really depends on what you play.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you are gaming on a 1080 monitor the GTX1080 is overkill.

You could get a massive improvement in performance with a GTX1060 for about half the price. You'd probably see close to double your frame rates. They are right that a 1080 would be overkill with your current system and while faster the money would be better invested toward a future CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade.

For gaming hands down you will get the best bang for your buck by upgrading the graphics card and a 1080 would be too much unless you plan on gaming on a 1440 monitor and also plan on upgrading the CPU.

If you upgrade your CPU/mobo/RAM now and keep your current graphics card you won't see nearly as significant an improvement in games as you would be adding a GTX1060.

Sometimes just adding raw power to an unbalanced system won't give you the performance you'd expect.

The GTX1060 comes in two flavors 3GB and 6GB VRAM. Again at 1080 most games will not need the 6GB so it really depends on what you play.
    Not true. It depends on what games you are playing and whether it is 1080p 60Hz or 144Hz monitor. So, no, GTX 1080 for 1080p is not an overkill since you want to maintain 144Hz stable for the games you want to play. Unless you want to turn down some settings to achieve those results. There are games that still require more than GTX 1080Ti even for 1080p 144hz in order to max out all settings. Like GTA 5 for example.

Also, there are so many games that use more than 3 GB of VRAM at 1080p.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Man.... stop trolling!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Man.... stop trolling!
    How is this trolling?

And it goes on and on for GTA 5... you can see that it barely hits 100 FPS with GTX 1080Ti at 1080p.

Now Battlefield 1... It does not maintain 144 FPS stable at 1080p.

I can continue... there are tons of games that can't maintain stable 144 FPS at max settings and 1080p. How is this trolling???