Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default What should I upgrade first?

So, I haven't really put any money into my PC in a bit. I'm wondering what I should buy in order to just jack up the old girl a few notches. I'm pretty happy with her performance to date, and I can still play most things I want with no issues on high or ultra...but on some of the newer, more intesive games, when I've got OBS, teamspeak, game, nightbot, and some other things running it starts to slow down a bit.

So, lemme throw down the specs and lets see what I'm working with. I don't know everything someone would want to know to see what to upgrade, so lets just list everything lol.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 20.9 GB
    BaseBoard: ASRock ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Drive 1: Size 931.07 GB (999,730,180,096 bytes)
    Drive 2 (SSD): Size 111.27 GB (119,479,988,224 bytes)

Any advice would be helpful, what I do first for the most bang for my buck. I got the i5, cause I didn't think I'd really be doing streaming any like multi threading stuff...but now I think I should have gone for the i7 haha...oh well.

I don't have my 4670k OC'ed at all, and while it's not water cooled, there is definitely more then adequate cooling going on. My case has a ton of fans.

Anything, thanks ahead of time for lookin!

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? Chandler's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I assume you're using a 1tb HDD? That could be why things are slowing down with alot of programs running, You could swap it out with another SSD. But it'd be costly, other than that. Your rig looks fine, and I7 wouldn't provide that much of a performance improvement for the price, and your Gpuis still more than enough, so that's the only reasonable upgrade I could think of. Hope this helps!

-Chandler

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That's cool. I wonder if I shouldn't double my ram. I believe I have two 8gig sticks in there now. I wonder if it would be noticeable to go up to 32gig of ram. I'm pretty sure I remember the type, and I've got a microcenter right down the street heh.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Avenol View Post
    That's cool. I wonder if I shouldn't double my ram. I believe I have two 8gig sticks in there now. I wonder if it would be noticeable to go up to 32gig of ram. I'm pretty sure I remember the type, and I've got a microcenter right down the street heh.
    I'd go for a graphics card upgrade before I go for 32gigs of ram

Maybe go for a new monitor too, depending on what you have now

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Avenol View Post
    If you have enough RAM when you run all programs, games etc, then there is no need for upgrade because it will make 0 difference. RAM amount does not improve system speed unless it is running out of free space. 16 GB is MORE than enough for gaming.

As for things slowing down and get full potential out of your current system, I would recommend to get water cooler on your CPU and overclock it. Then get another 250 GB SSD and install games on it. I have Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB and Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB. All games and programs are installed on the SSD and they run smooth. 250 GB SSD is dirt cheap now, so you can get one easily. You can get one as low as $60 https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digi...rds=250+gb+ssd

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

When I built my new box I bought 32 Gigs of RAM (4 8 Gig sticks) because I had the money to play with. My son's machine had some bad memory so we took half of my RAM and put it in his box while he RMA'ed his failed memory. I noticed zero difference in performance. The best bang for the buck in your system would be a new video card. If it were me I'd look at an nVidia 1070.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_AshawTalos View Post
    When I built my new box I bought 32 Gigs of RAM (4 8 Gig sticks) because I had the money to play with. My son's machine had some bad memory so we took half of my RAM and put it in his box while he RMA'ed his failed memory. I noticed zero difference in performance. The best bang for the buck in your system would be a new video card. If it were me I'd look at an nVidia 1070.
    That's cause RAM is a Volatile memory, which is a temporary memory for CPU due to that CPU has a very low cache memory. RAM helps CPU to pull data faster from data storage. So what RAM does is it stores most frequently used files by CPU. In other words it's a large cache memory for CPU. If the system has enough of RAM then adding more RAM will not make any difference, but if the system is running out of it then the system needs more RAM to function on full capacity and take off that stress of CPU.
    A faster RAM can make some difference in system performance. However, that difference will be so minimum in gaming that it's not worth spending extra $ on some 0.2 fps, which you will not even notice. But on the other hand, if you use your PC for work and especially for Video Editing then faster RAM will make a huge difference and you will notice much faster Render times.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    That's cause RAM is a Volatile memory, which is a temporary memory for CPU due to that CPU has a very low cache memory. RAM helps CPU to pull data faster from data storage. So what RAM does is it stores most frequently used files by CPU. In other words it's a large cache memory for CPU. If the system has enough of RAM then adding more RAM will not make any difference, but if the system is running out of it then the system needs more RAM to function on full capacity and take off that stress of CPU.
    A faster RAM can make some difference in system performance. However, that difference will be so minimum in gaming that it's not worth spending extra $ on some 0.2 fps, which you will not even notice. But on the other hand, if you use your PC for work and especially for Video Editing then faster RAM will make a huge difference and you will notice much faster Render times.
    (FYI, you're telling this to a 20+ year experienced IT Professional.)

As for getting back on topic. The 780 in OP's system is getting up there in years. I'd recommend getting at least a GTX 1060, or waiting for the RX490 to come out depending on if you plan on playing alot of DirectX 12 or Vulkan titles. As, the AMD RX series is geared toward DX12 titles, as is evidenced in performance in titles with heavy SMP (Simulaneous Multi-Compute) support like Ashes of the Singularity. However, Nvidia still has superior DX11 performance. So, if you're playing a healthy mix of DX11 and DX12 titles, get a GTX 1060 or 1070 depending on your upgrade budget. If you're playing more DX12 than DX11, or Only DX12 titles, then waiting on the RX490 or RX Fury is your best bet.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

definitely GPU before RAM. I think your cpu should be okay for a little while before you need to do that.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    (FYI, you're telling this to a 20+ year experienced IT Professional.)
    Well then in this case it's an IT Professional telling this to another IT Professional.

As for RX 490 it's still unclear if it is going to be Polaris or Vega. If it's Polaris then I doubt it will be any better than 1070 as AMD already said that Polaris will be budget based GPU's. So, I'd wait and see what AMD will bring us with Vega. Until then it's probably a year till we see Vega and NVIDIA at this point is a better option for High End systems. We've also seen that there is barely any difference between GTX 1060 and RX 480 in Battlefield 1 Beta DX12 mode. So, Ashes of the Singularity is no longer the main benchmark reference for DX 12 games.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck onypanda's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Graphics card then hypertheaded CPU. Could also do an sli

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Well then in this case it's an IT Professional telling this to another IT Professional.

As for RX 490 it's still unclear if it is going to be Polaris or Vega. If it's Polaris then I doubt it will be any better than 1070 as AMD already said that Polaris will be budget based GPU's. So, I'd wait and see what AMD will bring us with Vega. Until then it's probably a year till we see Vega and NVIDIA at this point is a better option for High End systems. We've also seen that there is barely any difference between GTX 1060 and RX 480 in Battlefield 1 Beta DX12 mode. So, Ashes of the Singularity is no longer the main benchmark reference for DX 12 games.
    (Addendum to the previous FYI, The person in question is AshawTalos, not Me. I'm Ashaw's Son.)

490's gonna be a Vega chip i'm fairly sure. Also, AotS is heavy biased toward AMD because of SMP, so that's also a thing.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_onypanda View Post
    Graphics card then hypertheaded CPU. Could also do an sli
    I have never seen anything that showed a gaming performance benefit from hyperthreading. If the object is a decent gaming machine on a budget, picking a CPU just because it supports hyperthreading isn't a wise move. If someone has documentation that proves me wrong, I'd love to see it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_AshawTalos View Post
    I have never seen anything that showed a gaming performance benefit from hyperthreading. If the object is a decent gaming machine on a budget, picking a CPU just because it supports hyperthreading isn't a wise move. If someone has documentation that proves me wrong, I'd love to see it.
    I'm fairly sure that i3's do better in gaming than Pentiums of the same clock speed. Now, there is one major exception to this rule, and that is the Haswell Generation Pentium G3258, which is the only Overclockable Pentium that is out. It can get clock speeds of around 4.5Ghz on a non-stock Air cooler, which is rivaling my i5-6600k's 4.6Ghz on non-stock Air. So, it does beat out the i3-4130 which it competes with. But, if we were to take the i3-6100 and pit it against the Pentium G4400, The i3-6100 beats it by sheer clock speed.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    I'm fairly sure that i3's do better in gaming than Pentiums of the same clock speed. Now, there is one major exception to this rule, and that is the Haswell Generation Pentium G3258, which is the only Overclockable Pentium that is out. It can get clock speeds of around 4.5Ghz on a non-stock Air cooler, which is rivaling my i5-6600k's 4.6Ghz on non-stock Air. So, it does beat out the i3-4130 which it competes with. But, if we were to take the i3-6100 and pit it against the Pentium G4400, The i3-6100 beats it by sheer clock speed.
    The reason why i3 is doing better in this case is because there are many games out there that support multicore CPU's. Some modern games utilize all 4 cores. Therefore a dual core i3 CPU with Hyper Threading will perform better due to that game takes 2 virtual cores as actual cores. Thus, the game thinks that i3 is as quad core CPU.

Since most modern games do not support more than 4 cores then there is very little difference in gaming between i5 and i7 of the same generation. Also, there are tests out there that show that some games actually perform by 2% worse when Hyper Threading is turned on. The advantage of i7 over i5 in gaming is the difference in core clocks, since i7 has slightly higher clocks than i5.